Gave up alcohol, lost weight

Options
I really want this to not be true.

In the last several months, I have become a drinker. At least nightly, if not every other night. Some nights two beers, some nights a few beers and a mixed drink. I can also generally say that these nights ended with pizza, or nommin' away on a bag of chips.

For New Years I decided to see how long I can get away with not drinking before I go crazy. Because of this, I'm eating less junk after a full days worth of calories, but I've still been eating at least 3 - 4 cookies a day, but the christmas stash is slowly dwindling and they will be gone as well.

I have put on quite a bit of weight over the colder months, going from an easily maintained 135 up to 145. I'm not pleased. What I had noticed is that even just in the week of not drinking, and thus not randomly eating, I dropped 2 pounds without exercise.

So maybe, just maybe if I keep this up, AND get my *kitten* back to exercising minimally, 135 may be a plausible number without giving up my sweet treats here and there!

The issue? I really don't want to stop drinking in hopes of being some small size. But my stomach is flat again! Augh, which is more important...hm.

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to drink maybe once or twice a week (about 4-6 drinks/weekly, max) when going out.
    I gave up drinking a while ago for various reasons (fitness goals and dating someone with alcohol issues); and I definitely lost weight (body fat). I wasn't eating after drinking (no 'munchies' or anything), so I'm thinking it was the alcohol.

I've had a shot of vodka in october and 2-3 drinks while I was in Cuba for my bday in october also, but otherwise, can't remember the last time I've had a drink.

You need to ask yourself WHY you think you cannot give up drinking? There might be an issue lying underneath. Maybe not; don't answer here anyways, just think about it.

Good luck! :)
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally that alcohol makes me gain weight (body fat) and stopping drinking makes the pounds fall off even if I'm not doing much else. I wish it weren't true too because I really, really enjoy that beer when the husband gets home and wine with dinner. :(

The only times in my adult life where I stopped drinking for an extended period of time was during my three pregnancies. During those periods I didn't exercise or change much else but I wound up weighing less after each pregnancy than I started. Before my first I was 31 pounds heavier than I was after my third was born. My children were all born during a stretch of about 6 years and between each I'd always start gaining some back as I returned to drinking but then I'd be pregnant again and it would fall back off. After my last child was born January 2 I swore I would keep it off. I didn't. When I started MFP I was about 20 pounds over where I was after I had him. MFP has really helped me clean up my diet and incorporate exercise and I've started to take it back off thankfully. However when I first started MFP I was exercising a ton and drinking those earned calories every night and it wasn't the best way to go about it so my loss was slow. Now in the New Year DH and I are both working to lose weight and be healthier so we stopped the daily drinking and my weight loss has definitely accelerated. I'm not giving it up completely because that isn't a lifestyle change I can keep up forever but at least until I get down to my goal weight I'm limiting myself to a drink here and there and not as a daily part of my diet.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    And yes... aside from the calories in the alcohol itself... most nights it lead to very unhealthy eating well after I should have been done for the night. No good.
  • mommybird1
    Options
    HI,
    I just joined this past tuesday. Stopped drinking my nightly 2-3 glasses of red wine nightly and I have already lost 4 pounds!!! I also find myself mindlessly eating after the second glass!! I love my red wine so I hope to go back to a few glasses a week soon but for now...steering clear of it. I am 40 now (ahhhh, makes loosing a little harder) , 5' 8 1/2" and was 164...slowing go for 145!!!!
  • cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Last month, the blood tests done at my physical revealed a high triglyceride level. i was told to eat better, lose weight, stop drinking and look up online how to lower my triglycerides, then come back a month later. I went from drinking every day to not drinking at all for the full 4 weeks. I thought it would not only improve my test results but also boost my weight loss. I just got my test results back this week- my triglycerides are actually worse this time, and I didn't lose a single pound. I went online and looked around and discovered there are conflicting reports on whether alcohol really contributes to weight gain. My experience seems to support the idea that it doesn't. I encourage you to give it a shot and see what happens; everyone's body responds differently. But as for me, I'm going to stick to my glass (or two, let's be honest) of wine in the evening.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    HI,
    I just joined this past tuesday. Stopped drinking my nightly 2-3 glasses of red wine nightly and I have already lost 4 pounds!!! I also find myself mindlessly eating after the second glass!! I love my red wine so I hope to go back to a few glasses a week soon but for now...steering clear of it. I am 40 now (ahhhh, makes loosing a little harder) , 5' 8 1/2" and was 164...slowing go for 145!!!!

I hear that ... I turn 38 in March and can't eat and drink the things I could when I was a kid. Well, I guess I can but not and still fit into my clothes. ;) I love red wine too. DH and I were splitting a bottle a night with dinner and it really hurt my diet. I'm hoping to add it back in once I am in maintenance at least some nights. I'm 5'11" and was 176 (now 167) and going for 155.
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The problem with alcohol is that is the high ratio of calories per gram: 7cal/g , second behind fat (9cal/g). The cals from alcohol, are used first by the body so, more alcohol, less carbs/fats used by the body.

This page looks ugly, but after compare the values with other (more incomplete) sites, looks correct: http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/collegestudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx

So, in an average drinking night, you may be consuming calories equivalent to maybe to days!!

Yep, this is too sad :( I know.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to have wine each night after work and with dinner. Now I have cut my drinking back to only on Fridays and/or Saturdays and noticed a big difference. This way I still get to have drinks with my friends or something if we go out, but I still get to watch my calories and lose weight. :) Finding the balance is the key.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I really want this to not be true.

In the last several months, I have become a drinker. At least nightly, if not every other night. Some nights two beers, some nights a few beers and a mixed drink. I can also generally say that these nights ended with pizza, or nommin' away on a bag of chips.

For New Years I decided to see how long I can get away with not drinking before I go crazy. Because of this, I'm eating less junk after a full days worth of calories, but I've still been eating at least 3 - 4 cookies a day, but the christmas stash is slowly dwindling and they will be gone as well.

I have put on quite a bit of weight over the colder months, going from an easily maintained 135 up to 145. I'm not pleased. What I had noticed is that even just in the week of not drinking, and thus not randomly eating, I dropped 2 pounds without exercise.

So maybe, just maybe if I keep this up, AND get my *kitten* back to exercising minimally, 135 may be a plausible number without giving up my sweet treats here and there!

The issue? I really don't want to stop drinking in hopes of being some small size. But my stomach is flat again! Augh, which is more important...hm.

Stick to the appropriate number of calories, and you can drink as much as you want, honestly. It's calories in, calories out. I drink an average of one beer a day (usually 200 calories, I don't go for the cheap, light stuff,) hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. It's all about planning.
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mommybird we are almost twins! I am not quite 5'8"1/2 - more like 5'8" - but same weight and same love of 2-3 glasses a night. Let me know if you want to become friends.

Either way GOOD FOR ALL HERE who are (considering) giving it up. And THANKS as you have inspired me to make a change.

I used to have much less trouble keeping my weight down and then - when I hit my 40s and started making a little more money - started drinking wine more days of the week than not. Since then, I have slowly gained weight. Whenever I don't drink for a week or so, I drop weight. My doctor says 2-3 glasses 6x a week is way too much anyway.

So! Public Announcement: I am going to drink wine only if I am out at a restaurant with friends or at a dinner party and even then not exceed 2 glasses EVER. No more keeping it in the house. Just asked my husband to join with me and he said YES. In fact, we are getting rid of the two half-bottles in the frig right now.

Lemme know if you want to turn this into a SUPPORT GROUP. I would be glad for one, don't know about you all.

Thanks again,
    Martha aka Change_Agent
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    In fact, we are getting rid of the two half-bottles in the frig right now.

Dumping or drinking? ;)

A support group....great idea!!
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    i feel this totally. i did the math on calories consumed while drinking and it is crazy! what makes drinking worse for me is that when i drink i want to smoke. otherwise i don't smoke at all! i figure that i'll only drink once a weekend and i'm hoping that'll work to my advantage. it's good to know i'm not the only one that struggles with this - i know it makes a difference in my weight.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    I gained 30 pounds drinking 2-3 glasses of Sangria about 5 nights a week, and also ate a lot of junk while drinking. I haven't drank like that in over a month, and when I finally made the commitment to change my eating habits I dropped 5 pounds immediately. I will have an occasional glass once I start seeing more results, but I am steering clear of it for now.
  • implodingsporks
    Options
    I. Hate. This.

I am a 21 year old college student. Of COURSE I want to drink! I can legally go to bars and go out and I have a blast doing it! But I don't want to gain weight and at the same time I don't want to completely stop drinking. What I do now is I save it for the weekends and plan ahead of time. I'm a beer drinker, so I'll add my beer in way before I go out, so I have my plan in mind and I know how much extra I may need to work out. I'll even add in something to eat, like rice or baked chips, so I can see where I'm at. It's all about counting calories and being prepared. It seems to be working for me! Best of both worlds.
  • deaton50
    Options
    omg...this is totally me (although white wine is the main culprit), I've always known that I needed to cut back on the wine but I ABSOLUTELY love wine! lol

My hubby and I joined a couple of weeks ago and have started limiting (if not some nights-eliminating) our beer or wine consumption and are seeing the results. We've started a gym routine also. I know darn well I will never (never) eliminate wine from my scene...but the results are motivating enough to make a healthy reduction.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i have one or two glasses of wine a night usually maybe a total of 10 ounces. i am still steadily losing weight. If you are staying active in the day and factoring in your wine with your daily calorie count then you should be too. If the real problem is that you get the munchies once you get a buzz, then that is what you need to work on. I definately notice a change in my willpower if i have more than 10 oz, but on most night i barely even get 4 oz down because i get such a buzz from it.
    Before i starting watching my calories and eating healthier i could drink an entire bottle of wine and barely get a buzz. i think the fact that i eat better affects my bodies absorption of the alcohol or something, making it more potent. who knows what it is but i like it lol.

Anyway wine is my favorite after work snack and totally worth the 175 calories i save for it.

When i have anything else on a going out night or something, it is usually vodka with diet v-8 splash. delish!
  • SnackPack
    SnackPack Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been able to cut down on the frequency but some days just deserve some CC on the rocks. I log it when I do.

Avoiding the daily drinking certainly allows me to avoid the extra eating calories and frankly be more motivated.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 1 to 1.5 bottles of wine A NIGHT by the end of 2010. (That's approx 600 cals per bottle) That's not counting the extra damage I did on the weekends - I think on the weekends I was hitting close to 1500 calories on Friday and Saturday night each. On Jan 1, 2011, I stopped drinking completely. The first 10 lbs dropped like magic within a month's time without dieting. Where do you think the term "beer belly" came from? :wink:
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If this turns into a support group I'm joining!
    Red wine is my vice and over the past few months I have really cut down, I was drinking up to a bottle a night. I would then microwave meat with cheese and eat that. I was disgusting! It was due to stress and thinking it might help me sleep. It didn't. I put on loads of weight. Anyway to cut a long story short, due to giving up for longer periods of time my tolerance of course went down. NY eve - missed it, too drunk and I knew how drunk I was and couldn't get back to being merry. I have not drunk since then and although I'm not saying I won't drink again, I'm only going to drink if an occasion calls for it, not because I crave it in the evenings!

I am Helen and I love red wine!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE wine drinker! I noticed that when i dont drink I lose. If I dont drink for a month I can lose 7lbs . I am the type of person that cannot settle on one glass or two. So I have committed to not drinking and only allow myself one splurge day per month.

It sucks but that is how I have to handle myself.

Good Luck!