1 hour at the gym

Options
Hi All,

I can really use your help!
- I have 1 hour at the gym 4 - 5 times in a week
- I eat 1200 calories a day so I really like to do cardio so I can eat more food.

However I need to start incorporating strength training. I really like the extra calories from cardio and don't burn much during strength training.

What should I do??

Replies

• fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I can really use your help!
    - I have 1 hour at the gym 4 - 5 times in a week
    - I eat 1200 calories a day so I really like to do cardio so I can eat more food.

However I need to start incorporating strength training. I really like the extra calories from cardio and don't burn much during strength training.

What should I do??
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    on my strength training days i do some strength training, then 30 minutes of cardio, then more strength training. i do 4 sets of 15 reps on weights each day, so i do 2 sets before cardio, and 2 sets after.
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    oops... double post
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Strength training may not blast the calories immediately, but it is important for toning and seeing maximum results from your workout. Also, strength training is supposed to help you body burn more calories throught the day. I like the split workout idea. strength, cardio, strength.
  • fitsharon
    Options
    Thanks. Also I wear a HRM if I wear that during strenght training is that pretty accurate?
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    do they offer a body pump/muscle max class? What about a circuit class? they both incorporate weights, but I feel like I get some cardio work too.
  • fitsharon
    Options
    The only issue is I can only go to the gym early in the morning at 5 and the classes don't start until later. Today I did 40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights. I think I need a 20 mintue full body toning routine.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    try this link - or google circuit training
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blbegcircuit.htm
  • fitsharon
    Options
    Thanks!