Advice Please!

Options
Got any advice? My husband's 50th yesterday and I overate by about 900 calories. Today I feel like starving myself and think that would be a mistake. Do I a) cut down every day until I have made up the 900 calories or b) forget about it and just continue to calorie count in the normal way (1200 per day) c) have a drastic cut down day of say 600 calories for two days. Really not sure and don't want it to stop me dieting which is what I usually do when I fall off the wagon. I have a massive event on Tuesday (big party where I am the host) and I'm bound to go over calories again so I need a plan!!!! Help!

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hi. I wouldn't recommend a huge extra deficit, but 100-200 cals for a day or two won't hurt.
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    My opinion.....today is a new day and just stick with your normally daily calories. I don't think it is healthy to try to manipulate your calories to try to make up for what you ate yesterday. No one is 100% good 100% of the time. There are times when we will all have high calorie days (parties/celebrations). Don't let it discourage your or make you crazy...just proceed with watching calories and exercising like you normally would.
  • RobynAragon
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling, I ate ice cream and yesterday and woke up feeling awful. Today is a new day and if you want to do anything "drastic" I would suggest maybe working out alot more but do not cut calories. Dr. Oz yesterday was talking about metabolism and it will really screw it up if you deprive yourself.
  • mflinn84
    Options
    I agree with galvodka. Relaaax. 900 calories over is not at all the end of the world. Add about 10 or 15 minutes to your regular work out or daily walk for a couple days and then return to normal. It takes a lot more calories than what you ate to even gain 1 pound of fat so it's all good.

To control my calories/sugar/sodium I also have a list of foods I never eat. Just one of these can knock you way, way over the limit and add other toxins to your body. For example, on my list is honeybuns, McDonalds, Alfredo, Deep Fried Anything, Soda Pop (unless it's a cocktail mixer), and Chinese buffets. I still eat cake and all that, but it's usually homemade from scratch and since I seldom have time to make cake from scratch, I don't eat it so often.

Hope this helps!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Eat your 1200 cals making sure they are good quality, getting all your essential nutrients, drink plenty of water, and do a bit more exercise.

Have fun on Tuesday, and Happy Birthday to your hubby!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    B.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    900 extra calories = 1/3 pound gain. If you mean you ate 900 calories more than your weight loss goal, you probably only ate 400 extra calories as you were already set at a 500 calorie deficit... 400 calories= about 1/10th of a pound. I say do one extra workout if it really bothers you, or just try not to think of it. Nobody is perfect, and you'll probably have a day sometime when you're under worrying if you should eat more! It'll all balance out in the long run.
    :smile:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    just give up on dieting. you obviously have no self control. that one day is just going to throw you in a downward spiral and you will never be able to recover.

nah, just kidding. don't worry about it. my dad's 60th birthday party is today, and i'm planning on EATING ALL THE THINGS! as long as you are on point about 90% of the time, you'll be ok.

think of this like school. even if you fail one pop quiz, you're probably not going to fail the school year.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    What engineman says. If I didn't EVER get to eat all the things in order to be healthy. I would, in all seriousness and rationality, choose to be overweight. Eating all the things when necessary is important to mental health. Plus, you can do it and be a happy, healthy, sexy beast without overreacting and doing something stupid to cancel it out.
  • Mandalola
    Options
    Thankyou so much to everyone who replied. I had already thought that I should just carry on as normal. I'm definitely not doing enough exercise ie none and I know that would help so I'll start that tomorrow. Thanks again.