MUST HAVES when food shopping

Options
What are you absolute MUST HAVES when you go grocery shopping? I know what I like and want but I need to change it up a bit.
Suggestions?

Replies

• MalyMal
    MalyMal Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS !!!! ...I love it oh I would put it on everything if I could, also I always pick up some dark chocolate just to have on hand. I am the type of person that has to have something sweet after supper (it's a habit I can't break)
  • orangeyellowjeep
    Options
    Chobani Greek yogurt!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Joseph's flax pita bread and laughing cow cheese.
  • cansmith80
    Options
    eggs
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am all about the fresh produce and will travel if need be to get it! Having a lot of various vegetable options in your fridge can really allow you to make some great meal choices. Bags of frozen shrimp, fish and chicken are always a must too. The healthy combinations are endless :-)
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    Tomatoes.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    Fresh fruits and vegs. :) Thank about what satifies your hunger but will keep you on track. I never go shopping when I'm hungry and I try very hard to stick to my grocery list.
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    Eggs, Avocados & Spinach!!!
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Things I always buy:
    almonds, dried apricots, soy beans, quinoa, lindt exellence 85% dark chocolate, blueberries, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, grapefruit, apples, avocado... and then vegetables for salads of course
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese!!!!!!
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great lists everyone! Keep'em coming! :-)
    I buy many of the same items. At least now I know I'm not the only one who sneaks in a bit of dark chocolate every once and a while.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    John west tuna spread in a jar ...on premium biscuits, topped with cherry tomatoes ....i am addicted ! :bigsmile:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Boca Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Eggs
    Baby Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Reduced Sodium Cottage Cheese
    Frozen Fish (Tilapia, Ahi-Tuna, Salmon)
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the key is that most of what you buy should come from the perimeter of the store. That's where the fresh, non-processed ingredients are! Here are some things I always get at the grocery:

*Liquid egg whites: NOTHING in them but protein! You absolutely can't beat that! I have an egg white omelet for breakfast whenever I have time to make it & just put bacon bits & some mozzarella cheese. It is SO good!
    *Hummus: I like to eat it with Simply Balanced crackers or pita chips. Hummus is really healthy! My favorite kind is the Tribe brand sweet red peppers.
    *Arnold Thin sandwich buns. It's like 1/2 the calories of regular bread, so this is what I use for sandwiches.
    *Fresh arugula & spinach mix. This is my favorite salad to make. I add 2 tbsp of raspberry vinaigrette (90 cal), some feta cheese or shredded parmesan/romano cheese, & 1 serving of chex mix for a little crunch. It is SO good!
    *Fiber One 90 Calorie bars. I have them as part of my breakfast almost every day, & I also grab one when I am craving something sweet. They come in chocolate & peanut butter, which are both really good!
    *Fruits. I have to have granny smith apples, white grapes, & bananas. I eat at least 2 fresh fruits each day.
    *Meats: Laura's lean ground beef, Tyson boneless skinless chicken breast, & ground chicken. I use one almost every night for making dinner.