Whats the best workout at home?

Options
Whats the best workout I can do at home? I don't have any exercise mac. I've tried yoga but with no good results.. Is there a dvd I can buy? A website I can follow? I'm a stay at home mom I really need HELP!

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus software for the Nintendo Wii. The game itself + the board isn't so expensive but it may be if you don't have the game console already.

It's really good, though. You can set goals for yourself, keep track of your progress and if you get bored of just doing exercises, you can play some of the games which are a lot of fun but are also exercises.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Micheals No More Trouble Zones. Although since you are a stay at home mom the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (30DS) might be a good choice for you since it is only a 20 minute work-out. It is $9 at Target. They suggest 3-5 lb weights but if you do not have any you can use water bottles, cans, etc.

Just follow it up with some cardio, walk/bike with your children to the park, run, play, and climb with them!!

Good luck!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For me, nothing beats Your Shape: Fitness Evolved if I'm in the house.

I've not used it in a long time because I walk regularly now and will be starting cycling this week, but it toned me up in no time and really helped my weight loss.
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love the Jillian Michael's videos as well, all of them! I also love Jackie Warner's videos. They're awesome!

10953575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout will get you results. Lots of people on here have done it with great results, myself included. It's also a great way to introduce yourself to some new movements and work your way up to being able to do other types of movements. Jillian has lots of awesome DVDs, but this one is for sure a great one for beginners, it's HARD but you can still actually DO it. Plus it's a DVD so you don't need to buy a game system that you may not already have.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on the Jillian Michaels DVDs - great variety of workouts to choose from, low cost, and some use hand weights, some don't. My local Costco had 4 of her DVDs last time I was there for $7.99 each. Target and other stores often put their various dumbbells on sale this time of year as well.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You can go to collagevideo.com....they have a ton of cheap workout videos by people like Jillian Michaels, Leslie Sansone, Billy Banks and the list goes on and on. You can even preview them before you buy. In all honesty it's whatever you choose that you'll know and be able to stick to, and I believe that workouts should be fun.

So take a look at the website. I'm positive that you'll find something on there that's for you. They also have success stories from people who have lost lots of weight just by doing workout videos at home. Good Luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    check out your local library! they usually have a ton of exercise dvds for every level and every need. i recently checked out pilates for weight loss conditioning and i love it! plus it's free, so if you don't like it, you're not out any money and you can try another one.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    It's all about finding something you like. When my kids were younger, I liked doing the Leslie Sansone videos, because I could get a snack for a kid or whatever without breaking stride. I've done Slim in 6 and some other Debbie Siebers workouts, did P90X a couple years ago, but that is not an option at the moment due to some joint issues, so I'm back to the Leslie Sansone for now -- not super challenging, but at least I'm moving. I personally think the 30 Day Shred does not give you enough warm-up or cool-down time -- most people I know developed some type of injury (usually shoulder or knee) in the second phase...but some people love it, so experiment. Maybe see if you can borrow some options or watch previews online to see if you like something before committing.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo.
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi there, I have worked out at home since starting my new healthy way of life, I do:
    Wii fit
    Wii zumba
    Billys Blanks Tae-bo DVD
    Pump it Up workout DVD and
    30 day shred with Jillian

I got bored after about day 15 of 30 day shred but you can feel the difference, I tend to mix them around a bit and add in some walking when the weather is good.

Hope you find something you like :happy:
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred and it's kicking my butt in a good way. Supplementing with the fitness ball core exercises which seem to be getting my stomach muscles and provides much enjoyment to my kid and hubby who seem to be taking bets on how long before I roll off the ball. Check out You Tube or the library to test some things and see what you like. I hear the exercise bands are pretty good too, just haven't made it that far yet...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yard work in the spring / fall season. DIY home projects like double digging planting beds, planting & landscaping. And believe it or not, having been wearing the body media for a few months now, when I spend a solid chunk of time in the kitchen cooking / baking and cleaning up the dishes, calorie burn is increased quite a bit. The problem I have is pawning off whatever I make so I'm not tempted to eat it.
  • TerriKim
    Options
    collagevideo.com

the BEST video workout website ever! I am really into the "ripped" series by Jari Love. She's a hardcore workout. Love it!
  • Ceebee37
    Options
    I have an exercycle that has 27 settings, I love it, burns 500 cals in35 mins as I don't have a lot of time with kids, work etc, plus swiss ball, weights, resisitance band and pilates mat and dvd. I also walk my dog and go for walks with my friend in the weekend.
  • ccunningham0520
    ccunningham0520 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I swear by One on One Workout with Jackie Warner. Many people dont know about this DVD but trust me, the best workout I ever had
  • cmcurls
    Options
    P90x! Its a serious workout designed to change up your workout and target different muscle groups everyday!!!
  • cm62357
    cm62357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shred is $7.99 at Costco.
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    All of the exercise type games for the various consoles are fun and a way for you to get active with the kids. When I do Wii zumba, my nephew just dances right along side me
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE the Jillian Michaels videos. The 30 Day Shred is very intense at first (as any exercise program is) but it got easier pretty quickly and after doing it everyday for a month I was way more toned. Very noticeable. I also really like the C25K program. Its great especially if you have a place (like a track) where you can take young children to play while you run.