6 Terrible Diet Strategies to Skip

Options
I've never heard of the Tongue Patch Surgery, The Cotton Ball Diet, and The Tapeworm Diet made my stomach hurt. Some people will do anything to lose weight.

Dexatrim, Hydroxycut, and Other Diet Pills

For all those who have dreamed of a magic pill that will melt fat and sculpt your body ... these ain't it.

"Dexatrim is a decongestant," says Sandra Carpenter, RD, Senior Program Manager for Weight Management and Nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. "It uses the same things you would if you had allergies—it restricts the blood vessels. This causes your heart rate to go up a little bit."

The result, ideally, is that your amped heart rate will burn extra calories throughout the day. But the pill can be dangerous for those at risk for heart disease and others, like caffeine-fueled Hydroxycut, can make you jittery or nauseous. And as soon as you stop taking them, the effects will wear off.

"If you don't change the behaviors, as soon as you stop taking the pills, you'll go back to where you started," says Carpenter. To burn off a few extra calories—and keep burning them off—starting an exercise program is safer, and its effects more long-lasting.

Diuretics

You've probably heard that contestants on The Biggest Loser load up on asparagus and skimp on water in the days and hours leading up to their weigh-ins, hoping to cheat an extra 0.2 pounds off the scale and avoid elimination. What they're doing, especially with the asparagus, is a version of the practice of using diuretics to lose weight.

But here's the problem: Unless you're weighing in for a chance at $250,000 or making sure you're under a certain threshold for your next professional fight, the effects of this method are fleeting, and can come with some rough side effects.

"Your body needs fluid to process calories and nutrients," says Carpenter. Diuretics dehydrate the body, which attacks a new source of fluid. "When you're dehydrated, your body breaks down muscle, because muscle is 70 percent water."

Breaking down muscle, Carpenter says, will slow your metabolism over time—meaning that you'll burn fewer calories and gain weight when you're not using the diuretic substance.

The Tapeworm Diet

Tapeworms are parasites: They live in digestive tracts and feed off the food their hosts consume. The idea behind the tapeworm diet, rumored to have started in the 1930s, is that you intentionally eat a tapeworm's eggs and ... basically give yourself a disease.

If the idea of a creature inside you doesn't instantly conjure fears borne from Alien, this might dissuade you: "The vitamins and minerals your body needs to absorb are instead consumed by the tapeworm," says Valerie Berkowitz, RD, director of nutrition at the Center for Balanced Health. "You're malnourished! You're feeding the worm the very things your body needs in order to go."

The Cotton Ball Diet

Proponents of this quick fix pop a few cotton balls—that is, they eat them—a little while before each meal. The puffs, they surmise, fill their stomachs so there's less room for food.

"Your body's pretty smart, and it's looking not just for calories, but for nutrients," says Carpenter. If you lack nutrients your body needs, it won't matter how many cotton balls you choke down. "Your body will tell you that it needs food until you give it what it needs."

The idea of eating something prior to a meal to feel full isn't without merit, though, says Sue Shapses, PhD, RD, director of the New Jersey Obesity Group and professor of nutritional sciences at Rutgers University. Even a warm drink before your meal can help you eat less.

"When you have a liquid food, you can get a sensation of fullness," she says. "Some researchers have found that if you have a broth before your meal, you'll consume fewer calories."

The Sleeping Beauty Diet

It's rumored that Elvis Presley tried this simple strategy: Take a handful of sedatives. You'll "sleep off" some weight because, simply, you can't eat while sleeping.

"You don't wake up until 2 in the afternoon and, great, you missed two meals," says Valerie Berkowitz, RD, director of nutrition at the Center for Balanced Health. Setting aside that this strategy pumps your system full of drugs, Berkowitz says, "for most people, it's not exactly productive—don't you need to go to work?"

Tongue Patch Surgery

It's pretty barbaric: If you pay $2,000, a doctor will surgically attach a "patch" to your tongue that makes it painful to chew and swallow food, forcing you to stick with his gut-melting liquid diet.

"This is presented as an alternative to gastric bypass surgery," says Carpenter. "But even with gastric bypass, the surgery isn't the magic. It's the behavior changes that the doctors help patients develop that keeps the weight off."

Translation: After a month of painfully drinking your calories, you'll have learned nothing. And when the patch comes off, you might binge back the weight using the same habits that put it on in the first place—maybe more so, because you'll have missed solid food.

"Even when we prescribe a low-carb diet, patients will complain that there's not enough crunch—people miss it," says Berkowitz. So when you get the post-patch chance to munch again, you may go overboard.

Replies

• smittenmikish
    Options
    CRAZZZZZZYYYYY!!!!!!!!
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes crazy....
  • Jessy0383
    Options
    Wow o_0
  • kelly_gelinas
    kelly_gelinas Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    some of these diets I have never even heard of
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I've heard of the tongue patch surgery thanks to a cracked article (I think).

I found out about the tapeworm one after watching an episode of 1,000 Ways to Die. Some chick ordered a tapeworm in the mail (didn't even know you could do that) then digested it... The end result.. well it's obvious of course.

Never heard of any others and I couldn't see myself choking down cotton balls.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eek!
  • zumba89
    zumba89 Posts: 82
    Options
    I have heard of the patch diet. It was on my the new and if i remember right i think the sew the patch on your tongue . I think it changes your taste buds. to the point that you don't want to really eat somethings. how the doctor put it and how they swe it on lookes like it sucks bad. i would lose weight the natural way and not having to sew my tongue to lose weight NUTSSSSS