Help! I hate exercising!

Options
I only joined a few days ago, but am so far finding the calorie counter a really good and helpfull way of keeping what I eat in check and am learning loads more about the calories and nutrience in food. So far so good.

Now, I have one problem.
I hate exercising! I think maybe I was scared off by nasty P.E teachers at school, and always being the one that wasn't very good a sport.

It was never something I worried about as I was always slim. However recently my genetic make up has started to catch up wit me (no women in my family ever stay slim past their early 20s it seems). I am not over weight, but know that recently my food intake has been unhelthy and I am steadily putting on weight. I only really need to loose 10lbs or so. I know the best way is a combination of healthy eating and exercise but I can only manage the food bit!

I am in my final year of university so have hardly any spare time and no money to go to the gym - I was thinking of maybe doing one class a week (Areobics, yoga, body pump etc) at the local gym as you can pay individually for them, but I could only afford one a week.

My motivation to get up and exercise is zero!
I need some advise!

Please help!

Love Christina x

Replies

• christina101
    Options
    I only joined a few days ago, but am so far finding the calorie counter a really good and helpfull way of keeping what I eat in check and am learning loads more about the calories and nutrience in food. So far so good.

Now, I have one problem.
    I hate exercising! I think maybe I was scared off by nasty P.E teachers at school, and always being the one that wasn't very good a sport.

It was never something I worried about as I was always slim. However recently my genetic make up has started to catch up wit me (no women in my family ever stay slim past their early 20s it seems). I am not over weight, but know that recently my food intake has been unhelthy and I am steadily putting on weight. I only really need to loose 10lbs or so. I know the best way is a combination of healthy eating and exercise but I can only manage the food bit!

I am in my final year of university so have hardly any spare time and no money to go to the gym - I was thinking of maybe doing one class a week (Areobics, yoga, body pump etc) at the local gym as you can pay individually for them, but I could only afford one a week.

My motivation to get up and exercise is zero!
    I need some advise!

Please help!

Love Christina x
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i have to push myself to get up and go, it doesnt come naturally im afraid

some things you can do at home to boost your movement

DANCE! turn up the radio and dance while doing housework or the dishes, really get into it, making big movements until you are slightly out of breath

JOGGING! i jog on the spot when im watching my favourite tv shows, you are not missing out on anything, and are getting moving too

WALKING! walk everywhere, im not a fan of walking, but its free and a great way to burn calories

all of these things are free, i cant afford to spend money on my exercise routine either :blushing:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with Realta, especially with the dancing! My husband made me a CD of all my favorite fast oldies songs, and since the weather here is WAY too cold and snowy for walking, I dance instead! It's fun, free, and I'm never bored because I can watch tv at the same time! :smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Since you attend a university, I'm sure there are some fitness/ exercise programs available to you at little or no cost. Go to the mall and walk (don't stop at your favorite shop). Climb the stairs in your dorm. Do some exercises in your room using only your body weight. Even if you hate exercising, you must realize that good health is a gift. But you have to work at it. Good luck!
  • indianagranny
    Options
    Walking is the easy one. Walk in place as you are watching tv instead of being on the couch. Or place a heavy box in front and on commercials - do a step exercise. I am going to try the dance thing too.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Does your university have a pool? Swimming is an awesome way to get a workout
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    "I hate exercising! I"
    Ok here's the deal don't think of exercising. Get a picture of what you want to look like 6 months from today or next year or when you lose the 23 pounds. pick a goal set a path.
    There are morinings I hate to get out of bed, I don't want to legs tomorrow but if I don't I'll never get to where I want to be. Or really how much better I'm going to feel once I'm done in the gym.
    I hate exercising too but I love the way I feel
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    You are young enough to get exercise into you daily life. Keep trying all the about advice get it to be a habit no matter what. Exercise has to be the key component to a healthy life.

Wish you the best of luck.

I have to say, for a while I hated to exercise, especially when I did not want to take care of myself. You are not at that point. Don't let other things get in you way of a healthy life. You are worth it.:flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    one thing i try to keep in mind on days where I dont feel like exercising:

I'm lucky that I am able to walk/run/swim/bike...etc. because there are a lot of people out there who aren't quite that lucky. If they heard me complaining that I dont want to exercise, they would gladly take my two healthy working legs and my two healthy working arms and use them frequently!

think if you weren't able to exercise. I'm sure you wouldnt hate it then. you'd be wishing you could.

good luck! I hope you can find something that keeps you motivated and that you enjoy doing!
  • christina101
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise guys.

I feel a lot more motivated now.

I even went on a long brisk walk today - I needed to visit a gallery (as I'm an art student) normally I would have taken the tube but decided to walk. I kept the pace brisk and it was a 5 mile round trip. I logged it and was impressed by the calories burnt! And I feel great now, if a little tired!

Christina x
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm a college Freshman, and I know the struggle. What you need to do is find an exercise buddy, and try those fitness classes. I do fitness class four days a week, and they are some of the best parts of my day! My roommate and some girls from down the hall go too, so I can't not go without meeting some serious resistance! I found that exercising gave me more energy and I felt better afterwords and get my homework done quicker and fall asleep faster.

Oh! One more thing. I know that I like to catch the bus sometimes to class, I don't know if you do that. But if you do, definitely walk. And try not to take the elevator unless you have to. Clean while watching TV. Don't do any of the exercises that give you bad memories of PE. We have a swing club at school. It doesn't feel like exercise, but it sure is!

I hope that was of some help! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot. But I don't think of it as exercising. I think of it as training and a fun hobby. When I think of it as exercising, it turns into something I *have* to do and that never works for long!

For a long time, I figure skated. It wasn't the greatest fat burning exercise, but it was fun and I loved it. I was doing it 4-6 hours a week! When it stopped being fun, I stopped doing it. Now I'm training for a triathlon. There is no way I'm skipping my exercise now because I want to be ready for it and I won't be if I skip workouts.

When I was in college, I was always joining intramural teams with my friends. We sucked, but it was fun. So I was playing volleyball, basketball and soccer -- all exercise -- but not thinking of any of it as exercise. I also signed up for interesting PE classes like folk dancing, horseback riding, and even bowling. Yeah, bowling isn't a cardio workout, but it's more moving around than watching tv! :wink:

So find something you love to do that makes you move your body and then set some goals for yourself and you may find your attitude towards exercise changing.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I really hated exercising (specifically running) when I started last May - it was really tough at first, I was really out of shape and it hadn't been too long since I'd quit smoking - my lungs would feel like they were going to explode. I kept at it by thinking about the end result I wanted, and eventually I got to where I could run a half mile without stopping, than a full mile, and eventually, a little over 3 (which was a big deal for me!) Winter put a cramp in my running schedule, but it's warming back up again, and I can't wait to get back out there. Music really helps motivate me, I load my Zune with a big variety of all my favorites, and put it on 'shuffle'. It helps mix my pace up a little, too, I tend to run faster to hip hop, and a little slower to rock and roll.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Make a schedule for everyday and stick to it. It gets you in the habit of exercising in some way, then you'll feel guilty if you don't. The Beachbody programs come with monthly schedules, they are what have got me exercising for over a year and a half now, missing only 1-2 days max. a week, and loving it!:drinker: