Starvation Mode

Options
Okay, I've been doing a little bit of research on "starvation mode" and I'm getting the impression that it's a myth... to a certain extent. But I'm confused on a couple of things and I'm wondering if anyone can help me because the technical terms in some of these articles confuse me.
What I'm basically getting is that you should not go below 50% of your recommended daily caloric intake but I'm confused on whether or not this includes your workout burn. For example, if I'm recommended to take in 2000 calories then technically I shouldn't go below 1000 calories... HOWEVER if I put in a good hour workout I can burn 1000 calories which would put my recommended caloric intake (on this site) at 3000 calories, which would mean that going below 1500 calories would put me into starvation mode.
I'm not saying that these are my actual intakes and burns but I am using easy numbers to get my point across. Does this information that I'm getting seem correct to you?!?!

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different people on here and you'll get lots of different answers.
    For me - the answer is yes.

I am currently trying to lose a pound a week.
    My calories are given as 1380.
    I usually burn about 450 at the gym, so on gym days I eat up to 1830.
    To maintain my weight I need just under 2000 according to MFP so when doing this, if I exercise I eat those calories too.

Many people on here will say don't eat the exercise calories - no point, right?
    Of course.
    They are right - for them.
    If I don't eat the calories I burn off, I stop losing.
    I've been here a year next week (go me) and if I don't eat them back I stall.

So it's about trying what suits you really.
    I would try eating them back and NOT going under the numbers you suggest to see how it works for you. Nothing worse than being hungry.

Good luck, Helen.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how "starvation mode" can POSSIBLY exist. I mean, surely your body can't run on nothing? If it doesn't get calories, surely it has to burn fat??

If starvation mode existed then why are people who have anorexia severely underweight? Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I honestly don't understand it.