Ouch, Question about workout nutrition

Options
So I have been having the worst muscle cramps and what I am guessing are shin splints . I worked out Thursday, but it was nothing extreme. However, my calves have been cramping up terribly since. I try to limit my carbohydrate intake to mostly post-workout due to insulin resistance. I have a question. When I strength train, I usually follow it with cardio. I know it is best to consume a carb/protein source asap after strength but I've heard to wait an hour after cardio. Should I drink a whey protein shake after strength and eating something like a banana then work on cardio? Has this helped with muscle soreness and energy for anyone?

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I dont think you have to split the cardio and strength out. I do both in a workout, then have a protein shake about 20 mins later when I get home. You can do them in a different order depending on what you want to achieve eg I do strength first as thats my goal and want all my energy to be able to lift the max I can.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you should have the protein/carbs *within* an hour (I've heard 45 mins) after cardio for best recovery. The body needs to start healing right away.

And I agree with the above poster. I do cardio, then strength and have my recovery (on hard days only really) as soon as I get home before my shower. Chocolate milk is an easy one if you want something portable for the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    The "window" for protein/carb source after strength training is the consensus. But I usually have my shake after doing strength, then cardio. I haven't seen much of a difference even when I used to just do strength and cardio separately.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, I also left out I'm lactose intolerant . :/ Chocolate milk sounds like a tasty recovery treat .. but it isn't really an option :(
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Today I just went and ran for a while.. stretched all the muscles out. I feel a lot better.