When did ED become cool?

Options
So I've recently joined this tumblr thing. I wanted another way to chronicle my weight gain into super awesome musclyness from my old skinny self.
Anyway, I'm new to the site, and have only been on for about a week and what's really shocked me is how many girls are on there...seemingly *enjoying...perhaps that's not the right word...advertising their eating disorders, and not in a...I have a problem, I'm working through it kind of way, but more 'YES I ONLY ATE 200 CALORIES TODAY' or 'Finally hit 39kg :D!!!'.

I get that for many, many people an eating disorder is extremely difficult, and having worked with young teenagers with ED's I completely sympathise, but when did it become cool to have an ED?

Also to clarify, I am not generalising and saying all ED people think it's cool, I'm not that stupid, but there seems to be hundreds, if not thousands of girls on this site...in what seems like a 'thinspo' club.

What's this about?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've picked up on this trend lately, too, and it's disturbingly sad. I don't know what's motivating these people...maybe they finally feel accepted and feel like they found a place they belong. Hopefully, it's a cry for help and someone listens.
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    some girls just do it for the attention, unfortunately there are many woman out there who do suffer from ED and hes a ***** (well in my head ED is a guy, its different for different people) women who REALLY have it and are fighting it, dont act like that and even if they DID most women when they go through it see it as shameful, they want everyone to think everything is fine. And when i do see these girls i get pretty mad, who are THEY to knock and degrade what so many go through, recovery isnt easy and even when you ARE recovered you still have to battle it everyday. ugh people! -.-
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Since the 70's, it started gaining ground. Possibly in the 60s but I was too young then to realize what was going on. Maybe we can trace it back to when the UK decided that Twiggy in the 60's was the ideal form. I think that might have started it.

Twiggy has lashed out at the size 0 trend in the not too distant past, she was naturally skinny and a young teen when she was "discovered" and it's not her fault. It's the fault of the modeling industry which "discovered" her and pushed her as the ideal female body shape. Out went curves, in went skinny bodies.

BBC article on the changing shape of the model and pretty much say it was Twiggy that changed everything, to the detriment of women everywhere. Then remember in the 90's it was Kate Moss, with her super skinny body that was the other one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/769460.stm
  • fitterdancer
    Options
    It is sad but search for 'fitblrs' if you want positive healthy weight loss tumblrs. spartanwarrior, findingthinagain, beccasfitlife and matchstickmolly are a few of my favourites.

Speaking from experience if you're already at a point in your life where it's easy to develop and ED it is frighteningly easy to get drawn into the 'proana' world or simply into a state where eating 200 calories in a day is an achievement. It's a control thing and after a while the ED starts controlling you and you can't get out.

I didn't start recovering properly until I found fitblrs and realised that even keeping my calories above 1000 I'd killed my metabolism and that was why I gained weight so easily. I even started my own, which has helped me a lot!
  • mizzcase
    Options
    Ridiculous. People that really have EDs don't sensationalize or advertise it. I should know, I've suffered from one for over 8 years. Its a phase for the people you see on those sites. People with EDs are very private about it. Either we tell no one, or we are part of a tight knit group for emotional support. Please don't generalize-- we're not all about the glamour of it. Nothing is glamorous about bending over a toilet til you're throwing up blood.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The thing is a lot of these girls get it into their heads that being that skinny is a good thing. They may not have an eating disorder to begin with, but it's like they almost wish they did/could and that it's something to strive for.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't think it did really. Most of the old pro ana sites (circa 2000) are now largely pro recovery but also pro acceptance..

Most pro stuff that you find nowadays has been written by teenagers. And teenagers are by definition often egotistical and screwed up. They just do this kind of thing but most of them will grow up and out of it. In a similar way some teens think cutting is cool. It's the emo culture.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that these girls aren't actually saying they have an ED (just going by what the OP has quoted). I think the saddest part is that many of them actually think they are just fine, eating 200 calories is good and being super skinny is the ideal thing to be. I wonder where they get that idea from???? How often do you read about celebs doing super low cal "detox" diets and most celebs, not just models, have a BMI of less than 18, of course these girls want to be like them. I would like to be like them too, but I have the maturity to know it's not really a good thing, these girls obviously don't.
  • mizzcase
    Options
    Well there you have it.. "wanting to be like them" (celebrities).. does NOT make an ED. For me, as well as many other REAL sufferers of an ED, it is about the control over ourselves. I don't look at "thinspo" or desire to be skinny like some celebs.. I think they're all too big as it is.
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I totally thought you meant erectile dysfunction when you put ED. I learn a new acrynom on the intertoobz everyday. I feel bad for these girls/guys that feel they need to starve themselves to be their ideal body type. I just want to shake them and tell them that they are doing more harm and ruining their organs and making actual weightloss more difficult! .. if only it were that easy and as if that were a cure for ED's :P

I saw a great quote on pintrest that I recall... "You do not have to starve yourself. You do not need those greasy fries either." I know it doesn't really have anything to do with ED, but it put HEALTHY weightloss at the front of my mind. You need to eat, eat healthy. Repeat.

Also ... "Healthy - it's the new skinny."
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. People that really have EDs don't sensationalize or advertise it. I should know, I've suffered from one for over 8 years. Its a phase for the people you see on those sites. People with EDs are very private about it. Either we tell no one, or we are part of a tight knit group for emotional support. Please don't generalize-- we're not all about the glamour of it. Nothing is glamorous about bending over a toilet til you're throwing up blood.

Did you literally read the title of this thread and blindly reply or have you actually read my post?
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    So I've recently joined this tumblr thing. I wanted another way to chronicle my weight gain into super awesome musclyness from my old skinny self.
    Anyway, I'm new to the site, and have only been on for about a week and what's really shocked me is how many girls are on there...seemingly *enjoying...perhaps that's not the right word...advertising their eating disorders, and not in a...I have a problem, I'm working through it kind of way, but more 'YES I ONLY ATE 200 CALORIES TODAY' or 'Finally hit 39kg :D!!!'.

I get that for many, many people an eating disorder is extremely difficult, and having worked with young teenagers with ED's I completely sympathise, but when did it become cool to have an ED?

Also to clarify, I am not generalising and saying all ED people think it's cool, I'm not that stupid, but there seems to be hundreds, if not thousands of girls on this site...in what seems like a 'thinspo' club.

What's this about?
    that's crazy!!.. i don't think i've actually ever heard of this site. but it seems like it's a cult! :frown:
    sad sad
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dont' think they're advertising or flaunting it, or even think an ED is cool -- I think they have no idea they *have* an ED. They see themselves as fat, and think they're ugly, and think they need to weigh significantly less to be "normal" or attractive. That's the definition of an ED.
  • I agree...it's so sad to see and read "under 1200 calorie intake" as a happy dance promotion. These girls (and some guys) are damaging themselves, their organs and their energy (amongst so many other things). I have a tumblr, feel free to follow (what's your tumblr name)??

My tumblr site is:

www.dolife2012.tumblr.com

It's about the WL journey etc...flaws, setbacks, victories and goals.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

What's this about?
    that's crazy!!.. i don't think i've actually ever heard of this site. but it seems like it's a cult! :frown:
    sad sad

Sadly, it's not just one site. There are thousands of teenagers on tumblr who will willingly damage their health for....attention is the only motive I can think of. Hopefully, since openly sharing that information is hardly ever seen in true sufferers of eating disorders, they will grow out of it.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    its been "cool" for a long time. the internet just makes it easier to see. xanga, livejournal, tumblr, etc. because everyone is all over the internet, and has been for the last 10 years or so, it just seems like its a huge trendy 'cute' thing to do but i feel like this is nothing new. yeah, its sad to see it all over the place, but like a couple of other posters have mentioned that ed has been around for a long time. the underground aspect is just fading because its easier to see people who are dealing with it since they make it so public :/
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options

What's this about?
    sad sad

Sadly, it's not just one site. There are thousands of teenagers on tumblr who will willingly damage their health for....attention is the only motive I can think of. Hopefully, since openly sharing that information is hardly ever seen in true sufferers of eating disorders, they will grow out of it.
    i actually know two, maybe three people with an ED and every single time i've tried to help (even in the most humble way) they have either brushed me off or denied it.. so, i have simply given up stressing out over someone i genuinely care for if they are unwilling to help themselves :frown:
    but i suppose it's just part of the "disordered" mentality to think they are actually healthy
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I agree...it's so sad to see and read "under 1200 calorie intake" as a happy dance promotion. These girls (and some guys) are damaging themselves, their organs and their energy (amongst so many other things). I have a tumblr, feel free to follow (what's your tumblr name)??

My tumblr site is:

www.dolife2012.tumblr.com

It's about the WL journey etc...flaws, setbacks, victories and goals.

www.paddyonamission.tumblr.com :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

What's this about?
    sad sad

i actually know two, maybe three people with an ED and every single time i've tried to help (even in the most humble way) they have either brushed me off or denied it.. so, i have simply given up stressing out over someone i genuinely care for if they are unwilling to help themselves :frown:
    but i suppose it's just part of the "disordered" mentality to think they are actually healthy

Its any and all websites where its a weight-loss related site.

As much as I want to bust out the brutal truth and honesty of how I feel about this, all Ill say is that I just dont want them listed in my friend's lists... I removed one who tried giving me weight-loss advice, and my profile CLEARLY states I dont want anyone's advice because Im doing extremely well for myself, the right way under the guidance of my healthcare providers....

She had then confessed to being 'an expert who manages her ano-weight loss efforts well" and that just floored me... she was so damn proud of herself, it made me sick. I dont want to associate with that...