when to raise your activity level

So, I set my settings to sedentary because I set at my desk all day and besides the occasional grocery shopping, cooking, or cleaning up a little around the house, I don't do much activity at all. However, I made a commitment a week a go to do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Some days I will do more intense cardio (e.g. swimming) and my off days from that will be more low key (e.g. walking, lifting light weights, basic calisthenics). My day is pretty much going to be the same though besides this because I a psychologist and spend most the day sitting, and most the evening also sitting. So do I keep my activity level as sedentary despite the increase in daily exercise?

Replies

• dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    bump
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Straight from MFP:

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

I'd say keep it as is. I'm on my butt all day in front of a computer so I keep it as sedentary regardless of the fact that I'm doing P90X and I try to walk everywhere that's within range.

I'd only move it to lightly active if you work an 8-hour day in a "on-foot" position, such as the ones described above.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    I'd say yes. Leave it as sedentary, but then log any additional activity as exercise. It will give you extra calories for those days when you do extra stuff, without committing you to it!