Working out=Low Blood Sugars

Options
Hi Everyone,
I recently started to prep for my first half marathon with working out up to 2 hours daily. I am what you consider a runner who is in fairly good shape. I consider my usual jogs to be 5-6 miles at about 5.0-5.5 without stopping. On some days when I have my long runs after I work out I begin to get very light headed and pale. I know that my blood sugars are low and I try to eat something before I almost pass out. Its not because I pushed myself to far because I am capable of running.. thats just how my body is. I was just hoping someone would have some advise so this doesnt keep happening..and doesnt happen especially during my half marathon!! I know you should eat before you workout, but sometimes when I eat my stomach cramps up and I cannot finish my workout. Any adivse would be awesome!! Thanks :)

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What do u drink when running? Only water? Pm me
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Look into using energy gels or beans partway through your workouts. Particularly on runs 6+ miles.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and am split training 5 days a week. I make sure i get a good 20-25 grams of Carbs on the way to the gym (normally a carb bar gets the job done) now during my workout and this may not be something you can use but I have glucose tablets (can get a small tube of like 10 for a buck and change ) and chew 2 or 3 midway through my workout. They have 5 grams of pure carbs and this gives me that boost to keep my blood sugars from crashing.... I went through the light headed spells and dizzy spells and this process stop them completely... I also drink a 32 oz. bottle during my 90 minute session.....
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't run or anything like that, but sounds to me like you need to add some sort of liquid that will help keep your body balanced. I'm not sure what the best is (since again, I don't workout nearly that hard... diluted juice works for me :P). However, something like Gatorade that will keep your sugars up and balance your electrolytes as well. :)
  • HAASB
    HAASB Posts: 16
    Options
    usually only water. im not a big sports drink type of person. thanks for all of the advice