I want to be a QUITTER!!!

Options
Alright, I'm at the point where I am ready to quit smoking! Not the topic you expected probably, but if there are any people out there that have been successful in this area I could use some advice. But to inform many I do not take prescriptions, I am looking for the alternative, I know there are a lot of drugs that can help but I don't like worrying about POSSIBLE side effects. I am trying to get healthy and want to start jogging and know it will be hard but any imput is better than what I've got right now. Thanks!

Replies

• Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm at the point where I am ready to quit smoking! Not the topic you expected probably, but if there are any people out there that have been successful in this area I could use some advice. But to inform many I do not take prescriptions, I am looking for the alternative, I know there are a lot of drugs that can help but I don't like worrying about POSSIBLE side effects. I am trying to get healthy and want to start jogging and know it will be hard but any imput is better than what I've got right now. Thanks!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I do too, I am training for a half marathon in April and I still smoke...I smoke about 5-7 per day. It's not killing me yet and I don't see any adverse effects from continuing, but I bet if I quit I'd be faster! I hate that I smoke. Any suggestions would be fantastic. I've considered taking chantix, but the side effects seem pretty undesireable, especially the whole suicide side effect!
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 2 months (6 days, 28 minutes) ago and I run approximately 8-10 miles a day. The main reason I have not slipped? I really wanted to quit. This has made all the difference.

What did I go through? Well, there is the eating thing, which, thanks to this site was easy to overcome. Then there is the hacking up a lung thing which is inevitable because all that crap is becoming loose and breaking away from my cilia and has to go somewhere. But the exercise is what keeps me from going back. If I think about smoking and it becomes overwhelming, I drop to the floor and do some crunches or push ups. When I'm done, I'm not even thinking about smoking anymore.

You may be cranky :explode: , you may be forgetful :indifferent: and fuzzy :ohwell: - but these things do not last.

The running will help - even if you only make it a few feet - it will help you so much because it will remind you how much better you will be once the cigarettes leave your body.

I'm very proud of your decision! Be tough, stay focused, and lean on us! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

quitting the smokes is a challenge,,,,welcome it because quitting is reward to you and your body....when you get that craving,,,remind yourself that it will only slow your progress...urges last but a few moments physically but our minds keep the urges alive....when the urge hits...refocus on a vision of clean lungs and clear skin and fresh breath,,,,,

using listerine or any mouthwash helps to kick the urge too,,,you dont want to stink up that fresh mouth...you can do it without the drugs.....
    focus on the good part of quitting, that helped me
    Dave
  • Bug263
    Options
    I do too, I am training for a half marathon in April and I still smoke...I smoke about 5-7 per day. It's not killing me yet and I don't see any adverse effects from continuing, but I bet if I quit I'd be faster! I hate that I smoke. Any suggestions would be fantastic. I've considered taking chantix, but the side effects seem pretty undesireable, especially the whole suicide side effect!
    Exactly!! I just don't see the point in Prescriptions. I smoke at least a pack a day and am trying to slowly ween myself but it's not working, I know if I do it cold turkey that I am going to be horrible to be around so I am just wondering if there's any kind if herbal thing or anything really to help.(other than meds)
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I quit about 7 yrs ago, when my little boy said I was going to dye from cancer!. Here's how I did it. Most of the patches had more nicotine and crap in it, so I did it cold turkey. I had drinks with my hubby and chain smoked like a pig-almost a whole pack. I put the rest in the freezer, "just in case", and refused to take them out. Just think of the smell, how bad your breath gets, the $$ you'd save, etc. i always thought of stale smoke, and quit doing anything that made me want to smoke.eg. coffee, desserts, talking on the phone.... I chewed brown plastic stir sticks. Once I got a sense of control, if we went out for drinks, I would ask people to blow it in my face. I swore I would never smoke again. Sometimes when we're out for drinks, I still ask people to do it, but don't feel too guilty. The next day, the smell makes me sick. But, I have never smoked again, nor been tempted. Keep thinking of how gross the smell is, put the $$$ away for something good, and think of how people get disgusted with the smell of smokers and their breath. Also remember the buzz you'd get...too dizzy....Hope it helps, you don't want to die of cancer!:bigsmile: Oh ya, whiten you're teeth, you'll be amazed!:bigsmile:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey...three times :happy: The first time I was pregnant with my son and it made me so sick everytime I lit up that I just gave it up. I went back to smoking when he was 2 months old. Then I quit about 3 years ago...but it only lasted a few months. I quit again (and for the final) time when I got pregnant with my daughter. She is now 8 months old and I'm still a quitter.
    It's hard. I believe that before you can quit physically you have to quit mentally. You have to have yourself ready to quit...support system, what to do in case of nic fits, recognize your triggers (what makes you want to smoke), and most of all SEE yourself as a non smoker.
    The one time I quit when I wasn't pregnant I made a "game" for myself. Everytime I thought I wanted a cig I would wait and see how long I could put it off until I "needed" it. I set goals for myself and celebrated no matter how small the acheivement. If I put off smoking for 30 minutes I did a little happy dance.
    Cut back on the number of cigs you have a day...gradually if needed. Again set goals. Mentally prepare yourself. If you smoke 10 a day, next week make it 8, then the next week make it 6 etc... Get to the point where you are only smoking the "necessary" ones. For me it was after lunch, after work, after dinner, and just before bed. The one before bed was the hardest one to let go of...it was my way to relax before going to bed.
    Just like weight loss, it is one day at a time. If you slip and have a cig, don't beat yourself up, just move forward.
    I also found www.quitnet.com very helpful. They have tickers that shows how much money you haven't spent, message boards, suggestions, calendars, and a lot of helpful people.
    Good luck to you!
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Anybody tried Hypnotherapy????:bigsmile: it has worked for quite a few people I know. My daughter took ZYBAN it works on the part of your brain that reinstates habit's (particularly smoking), she has not smoked for 5 months.
    I quit smoking COLD TURKEY :explode: 15 years ago, but YOU:flowerforyou: have GOT to WANT to do it for YOURSELF, once your mindset is right it should be GO GO GO:bigsmile: :heart: cigarettes:devil: knocked on the head for good.
    GOOD LUCK to all of you out there taking this step:wink: , it is not one of the easiest :angry: but is one of the best changes you can make for your health,happiness and longevity:heart::flowerforyou: :love:

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have forgotten how to fly"
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    i am at the point where i want to be a quitter also, its soooo hard, i dont know where to
    start. I smoke all the time, as soon as i wake up im reaching for cigs and thats bad
    im gonna really give it a try and see how it goes, i have one cig left and its 10:40 am
    dont know what i will do when i smoke this one, im gonna try my best not to buy any
    more, i always tell my self that this pack is the last pack and then im buying more
    i really want to see if i can quit so i think i'll chanllenge myself to it.
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    I quit nearly two months ago. My husband and I did it together. First, we stopped smoking in our cars. Then we stopped smoking in our house. Then, we got nicotine gum and quit. The first two weeks are the worst. I had horrible cravings, I was unbearable to be around. I told all of my co workers and friends which helped, they were really patient because they were happy that I was quitting. I didn't chew much gum because once the bad cravings came, I just wanted the nicotine out of my body. I only gained a couple of pounds the first week which I was able to take off right away. The stuff that worked for me was this, I made quitting the only thing that I was focused on doing at the time. Meaning, I waited until I didn't really have anything else going on in my life and was able to make quitting my only focus at the time. Also, I really wanted to quit. My husband and I still haven't gone to a bar sine quitting since we chain smoked while drinking. We had to drastically change our lifestyle to help with the urges. Just remember, the first two weeks are the worst. I had a calendar, and I marked two weeks ahead, and crossed off each day that I was smoke free. It helped me see my progress. The craving subsided almost completely after two weeks. Good luck! I feel better today then I have in 10 years! I am so glad that I quit!

P.S. The gum really helped my hubby. Bottom line, everyone is different. If you try something and it doesn't work, try something else. My hubby tried the patch, we both tried zyban, and we both tried cold turkey and the gum was what ended up working for us. Don't quit quitting!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I quit nearly two months ago. My husband and I did it together. First, we stopped smoking in our cars. Then we stopped smoking in our house. Then, we got nicotine gum and quit. The first two weeks are the worst. I had horrible cravings, I was unbearable to be around. I told all of my co workers and friends which helped, they were really patient because they were happy that I was quitting. I didn't chew much gum because once the bad cravings came, I just wanted the nicotine out of my body. I only gained a couple of pounds the first week which I was able to take off right away. The stuff that worked for me was this, I made quitting the only thing that I was focused on doing at the time. Meaning, I waited until I didn't really have anything else going on in my life and was able to make quitting my only focus at the time. Also, I really wanted to quit. My husband and I still haven't gone to a bar sine quitting since we chain smoked while drinking. We had to drastically change our lifestyle to help with the urges. Just remember, the first two weeks are the worst. I had a calendar, and I marked two weeks ahead, and crossed off each day that I was smoke free. It helped me see my progress. The craving subsided almost completely after two weeks. Good luck! I feel better today then I have in 10 years! I am so glad that I quit!

P.S. The gum really helped my hubby. Bottom line, everyone is different. If you try something and it doesn't work, try something else. My hubby tried the patch, we both tried zyban, and we both tried cold turkey and the gum was what ended up working for us. Don't quit quitting!

great advice..."Don't quit quitting" some may taqke 30 times or 3 or 1...just never give up trying!
  • Bug263
    Options
    Thanx all of you for the help and advice, it's going to be giant step. Out of all the help I received on here I have a game plan and am going to start Mon. I have tp prep for it:huh: Get my last weekend in:laugh: Again thanks all and happy losing.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Thanx all of you for the help and advice, it's going to be giant step. Out of all the help I received on here I have a game plan and am going to start Mon. I have tp prep for it:huh: Get my last weekend in:laugh: Again thanks all and happy losing.

Do it till you're sick. And if someone tells you "to go smoke" when you're being grouchy, fight it and show them you're a REAL winner. I'm here for ya!:smokin: :noway: :glasses:
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have never been a smoker, but saw a website on another message board. It is called www.whyquit.com - after seeing that it made me happy that I don't smoke, and am so thankful that my hubby has been smoke-free for almost a year now. Read some of the stories, they tug on the heartstrings but if I smoked I am sure it would have some kinda effect on me! Good Luck and YOU CAN DO IT!