Am i doing enough?

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased an exercise bike and this week started to eat healthier. I am 236lbs and 5ft 5 age 24.
I have been doing about 45 minutes a night on the bike and walk 40 mins during the week daily and about 1hr at weekends.

I am aiming to eat about 1400 calories a day and burning 800 exercising, is this enough to loose weight?

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    It's a wonderful start :) Feel free to add me!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Definitely sounds like enough exercise -- but if you're burning 800 calories a day through exercising alone, eating 1400 is definitely not enough (unless it's specifically recommended by your doctor). You'll feel lightheaded and miserable, and your metabolism will slow down. Try programming all your info into the MFP "goals" generator and see what it suggests.
  • ChrissieMills
    ChrissieMills Posts: 82 Member
    More than enough! your net daily calorie intake is only 600 if your burning 800 and eating 1500.

You only need a 3500 kcal deficiency a week to lose a pound! so your well on track for a great weight loss!
  • when you feel ready, you need to add in some dumbell work, abs etc...you will burn far more calories rather than just doing cadio alone. Look into circuit training
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    You are making a great start. However, I would strongly recommend some high rep weight training and beginning core work. You will born more calories in the long run. Good luck.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Eating healthier and exercising should be something that you enjoy not work your body until you can't walk or sit down.lol. Your body will tell you when you need to give it a rest. Try to get the most out of your walk, if you are only walking 40 minutes a day make it count, get in the zone where you are burning fat. Same holds true when riding the bike get the max. out of it. Please don't hurt yourself. Remember you put on weight one pound at a time and you will lose weight the same way. It takes 3,500 calories to make a pound and 3,500 to lose a pound. I wish you the best.
  • beccimp
    beccimp Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for all the comments, I havent seen the goals genorator so will definatly look into that. Your right about different exercises I have been thinking recently that I need to do something with my upper body.
    I walk my labrador everywhere and usually quite fast and far but it never seemed to do anything for me at all, we could literally do 14 miles and get back and be fine, no aches or tiredness so thats why I bought the bike!
    Lost 3lbs since starting the new year diet but going to stop weighing myself for a while because I believe the bike will build up muscle which I have heard is heavier than fat so for the time being I will go on the fit of my clothes, which after xmas they are full to bursting!! I am totally dedicated to this now even just after 1 week I go shopping and look at all the calories etc and wonder if its worth it and I am able to walk away whereas before I would get the biggest bag of whatever I am looking at!!