Quick question about lifting heavier

Options
I have been trying to search but getting confused about the answer.

I know these are silly questions but I am arranging a session with a personal trainer to go over weights wth me and in the meantime I am trying to increase my reps so...

Instead of doing 3 * 15 sets on the machines with lower weights - I have changed it to heavier weights and less reps - should it still be 3 sets of 5? - today I tried 63kg

also I was told that I should have a 30 second pause in between sets - is it still the same when you do less reps?

finally - if I can manage 210kg on the leg press and do 3 sets of 10 and could fairly easily do a 4 set - should I increase it more?

sorry for what are maybe really obvious questions - until I get my session I don't want to stop doing weights and am trying to find what I can manage.

Replies

• BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lighter weight shoot for 10-12 reps
    Heavier weight shoot for 6-8 reps
    You can also rep to failure on your last set.
    45-90 seconds rest between sets depending on intensity.
    Me personally, I do 45-60 seconds rest.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    perfect - thanks for that answer - just what I was looking for - cheers :)
  • HannaBB
    HannaBB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gym use the weights in lbs... but when i go heavier i just do less reps... so instead of 3x15 i did 3x10 for a while and went up by one each time. If you tire out easy or seems too much, just go down a few, and do 3x8.

Guys that do very heavy weights do only a few at the time... just do the way that feels good to you.

H.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules for lifting, Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. There is a lot of good info about why to lift heavy. I think you can download the stronglifts 5x5 for free on the net. Just read thru it and I believe it will answer a lot of questions you may have.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Three sets is a general rule. You could do more sets, but when you up your weight and go for fewer reps in a set, that last rep should be a challenge on every set. Getting the last rep out of the third set should feel near-failure if you're doing 5.

The rest between sets should feel necessary. So yes, I would take that rest, I've had to drag it out a bit longer when I'm feeling particularly challenged.

If you aren't feeling challenged, you can stand to up the weight. The legs, especially for women are probably capable of moving the most weight of all the parts of your body. If you feel odd setting the weight up that high on a leg press machine, you might want to try learning to do squats (back or front) with a barbell. Be sure to have someone knowledgeable watching your form and start with an empty bar until you have the form right. You might be able to shove hundreds of kilos on the leg press machine, but your core might not be ready for the balance challenge when you are on your feet.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was going to get the New Weights book at the end of the month - it sounds like a great investment.

@ withervein - that's why I thought it would be best to book a PT session - I want it to really get my form right, you are right - my legs do feel like they could move anything but it doesn't translate to the rest of my body being like that - so I think I need to pay attention to my core and upper body. I was going to get some kettle bells too.

thanks again for the knowledge.