How do you stop night cravings?

Options
I struggle with this. I know Im not alone. How do you deal?

Replies

• gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I eat? If I'm hungry, I eat. Otherwise I get cranky and start on a slippery slope of disordered eating. I just choose to eat something healthy, like melons or apples.

You metabolism doesn't slow down until you're lying in bed ready to sleep anyways. And not everyone goes to bed at the same time as others anyways, so I always roll my eyes at those "Diet Tips" which say not to eat after 6 pm. Hello, I'm not in bed til 2! I'm sure as hell not starving for 8 hours! :P
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Ugh, night cravings are the worst. But, I've figured it out when I'm craving, it's usually one of two things--either I'm tired (to which I should just go to bed), or I'm thirsty. With the latter, I'll drink a couple of glasses of water, stare at my pantry :noway: and really think if I'm in fact truly hungry. Night time munchies can be out of habit and comfort. For me it's both--want to break the habit, and get out of the comfort stage!
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat up until 3 hours before bedtime. All accounted for and logged. I usually have my last "meal" at around 9 PM. I go to bed around midnight. This keeps my metabolism going and curbs me from craving too much of the bad stuff.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I save all of my calories for dinner. I eat maybe 400 during the day and the rest at dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I know Im not alone. How do you deal?
    I eat. If night cravings are habitual, then make sure to leave some calories left for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NYPetite
    Options
    I honestly think I gained the 10lbs that I am currently trying to lose from night cravings. Its still a work in progress (while I munch on some crackers and cheese :P) I don't know what it is about night time that makes my stomach start growling.

All kidding aside, a few tips I'm trying out are...

brushing my teeth, walking my doggie (he's getting more exercise than ever), having a piece of fruit or having a warm glass of tea or milk.

I think the walking my dog has helped my cravings the most bc once I walk around the block my cravings seem to subside. Even if you don't have a pup you can always get some fresh air ;)

Good Luck!
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So they're just cravings, and not actual hunger?

With me, I keep myself from eating at night (which is when I did a lot of snacking) by brushing my teeth at around 8 PM! Works every time :)
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I wake up in the middle of the night starving or just simply craving carbs. I can't sleep unless I give in to it. I wish I could stop it. The one thing that I have done is to switch from devouring boxes of cereal to eating something with less carbs to something with more protein. Now I'll eat a turkey sandwich at night. It isn't a fix for the problem, but it mitigates the weight gain.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    I will drink lots of water before the cravings usually start or give in but in small moderation and a subsitute on what I really want. For instance if I want pizza or white castle, I will have a fruit or half sandwich.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    Brush my teeth
    Do a work out
    Eat 100 calorie snack
    Munch on things like celery or carrots
    Drink water

Night time cravings are my weakness, so if I feel like its a craving I wont be able to beat, I go climb into my bed and watch Netflix even if I am not tired I know I cant eat in bed!
  • richmondcowgirl
    richmondcowgirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk... I keep like boxed drinks of fat free chocolate milk. It kills the late night cravings and I get chocolate!!! Usually have 100 cals set a side for it at the end of day. Its becoming the happy part of my day... I'm good I get chocolate!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Rum and cherry coke zero! (my bad)
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I agree! I find a walk is a great distraction. Brushing your teeth is a good one, too! Really "tells" you that eating time is over. :o) I mostly use tea, though for my cravings! Tea totally saves me, since there are so many great flavors out there. Peppermint, spice teas, fruit teas, and more.

If I have a cup of tea, and do something else (a distraction), and I'm STILL craving something after 30 mins or so... I will go ahead and eat!