Fresh Beets (what's a girl to do with them)?

Options
LuckyAng
LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
I just bought my first bunch of fresh beets. Until now I have only had canned. So my question is, besides juicing (which I do plan on trying) what else can I do with them? Can I use the leafy green part too?

Replies

• Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    Roasted Beets and Sauteed Beet Greens

Ingredients

1 bunch beets with
    greens
    1/4 cup olive oil, divided
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chopped onion (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens. Rinse greens, removing any large stems, and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.
    Cover, and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
    When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook for a minute. Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar, or butter and salt and pepper.
  • LuckyAng
    Options
    Nice! Thank you :)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I boil the beets (the outside skin will very easily peel off after you boil them), slice them and eat them. They can take 20-30 minutes to cook them, but it is SO worth it!!

I'm not much of a beet green eater, so can't help you with that one.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I boil the beets (the outside skin will very easily peel off after you boil them), slice them and eat them. They can take 20-30 minutes to cook them, but it is SO worth it!!

I'm not much of a beet green eater, so can't help you with that one.

I love beets, that's how I cook em too. But I squeeze an orange on them and salt them after peeling (one of the few things I salt). I loooooove beets. But I've never done anything with the greens either.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I either slice / cube them and steam or roast. Thinly sliced (1/8") takes about 25 - 30 minutes to steam. I like to slice them potato chip thin and spray with olive oil / pepper / rosemary and then roast at 425 for about 20 - 35 minutes until the skin starts to char.. I never peel the skin off... too much work :wink:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Feed them to bears. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    Roasted beets are awesome!! Well worth the effort it takes!!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Arugula Salad with Beets and Goat Cheese

Salad Ingredients:
    Beets - (boiled until a fork easily goes in it, about an hour), peeled, sliced into strips
    Fresh arugula
    Goat cheese
    Walnuts - chopped
    Dressing ingredients:
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Olive oil
    Lemon
    Dry powdered mustard
    Sugar
    Salt and pepper

Method

The amount of ingredients depends on how many people you are serving and how much salad you intend to serve them.
    For dressing mix 2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 lemon, 1/4 teaspoon of powdered mustard, 3/4 teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
    Assemble the salad according to how much you want. A handful of arugula leaves, a few beet juliennes, some crumbled goat cheese, garnish with chopped walnuts. Top with dressing above.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you can eat the green. Just cook them up like you would spinach and enjoy. My kids love beet greens as for the beets my family only likes them pickled so that is what I do with them.
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like to bake them, slice them, drizzle them with a balsamic vinegar reduction and then crumble goat cheese on top! Perfection!!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I don't peel them either...I just dice, toss in evoo, salt, pepper, and roast.

The greens are great too...just chop them up and sautée in a bit of olive oil. I'll season with kosher salt and ground pepper, or a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use them in chicken roasts, on salad cold (after cooked), cooked with a touch of lower sodium salt. The juice can be used as a natural dye as well.
  • lynetteemily
    Options
    baby beet leaves are beautiful in a green salad. they add a little colour, and a different texture. I grow beets in my garden, purely for their leaves :)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I make beet brownies. I hate beets, but the brownies are good, higher in iron and red!
  • LuckyAng
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome! Thank you!! And the bear comment: LMBO!! :)
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to bake them like a potato. i wrap the unpeeled beet in foil and bake until you can easily pierce them with a fork, unpeel them and then eat up. They are really tender this way. The greens are delicious too but you'll need to cook them in a day or two - they go bad quickly. I sautee them with garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper.