Can you lose a lot of weight with just walking?!?

Options

Replies

• Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    u can incorporate different things in your walk to help boost weight loss if you hit a plateu. I try to do high knees, kick ups, kick backs, etc. Do you have time warner cable? it has a fitness exercise channel that you can go thru and choose different exercises. Its a lot of fun and they have several different types of exercises belly dancing, kick boxing, tae bo, jillian, zumba.

If you want to work your way up to running you should try the y2k or couch2k its called something like that... it helps you get there over a period of time and you wont have the pain.

Good luck!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I once worked as a camp counselor in the city. We walked EVERYWHERE everyday. I lost A LOT of weight that summer. If only I had kept the exercise up once the job ended! I envy those days, and hope to get down to that weight once again with MFP.

Yes, keep walking!! :-)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You can, that is how I lost most of my weight.
    I ate less than I used too and i walked a few miles every night. I would loose track of time walking.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Yep !

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gazz777 - is the ONLY regular exercise I did.

In fact, at times I could not walk I kept tracking on MFP and I still lost it.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy any equipment at all. Not even dvds. Take your 3 year old to the park and do a run through of the playground: across the monkey bars, run across the bridge and slide down the slide-anything to get your heart rate up. Go on the playground with your little one and play with him. Freeze tag is fun too. (Of course you have to incorporate other kids at the park for this lol.)

You can also do circuits. Set up a routine you want to do...like: 10 jumping jacks, 10 lunges, 10 pushups, 10 squat jumps, 10 burpees, 10 step ups, etc. Do your routine a couple of times over and rest. If you'd like you can use time increments instead of reps-30 seconds of each exercise, go through one circuit, rest a very short period of time and repeat. If you give your all to each exercise I guarantee it will get your heart rate going. Make sure to warm up by walking or dancing in place for 5 minutes before you start.

Speaking of dancing, I bet your 3 year old loves to dance! I know my kids do. Throw on the radio and dance around the house with your little one, you'll both have fun and you'll work up a sweat.

You can even do yoga, and teach your child as well. I have 5 children and when my 3 youngest were little they were all learning yoga moves literally before they could walk. Make it fun and make your wee one a part of it and it will set a healthy example. :0) I had 3 babies under 3...5 kids under 10 when I first started trying to lose weight, I had to get really creative about it. I often had 2 or 3 toddlers hopping around in my living room with me "working out". I still have a pic of my youngest around the age of 1, in a diaper, trying to deadlift my barbell. It's hilarious. It can be a little frustrating at times to have them underfoot (a couple times I almost tripped over a squirt that I didn't know was behind me) but it's a great way to get healthy, spend time with your family, and get your family healthy too.

My 10 year old took her first kickboxing class with me this morning. It rocked!
  • meanbmc
    meanbmc Posts: 28
    Options
    about the only exercise i CAN do is walking, because of health issues. and if i can manage to walk consistently, it's the perfect way to lose weight. and, when i'm cooking or doing dishes, i crank the radio on and dance! anything to move your body burns extra calories without costing anything. when i can, i walk on my breaks at work and lunch. 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day. it all adds up. :D good luck!
  • psychochillie
    psychochillie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight with walking and watching what you eat!

You can do intervals with your walking too. Intervals are 30% more effective at burning calories AND your post walk metabolism is raised for up to 12 hours. You can find more details on the net about intervals, but basically they are pushing harder and recovering for periods of time. Say you are walking your little one in the pram, you could walk as fast as you can manage for 2 or 3 minutes, THEN walk at a slow pace for 1 minute. Then repeat that again for the amount of time you want to work out. (30min, 3 times a week, absolute max will give you huge benefit.) A moderately easy pace for about 5 minutes of warm up and cool down before and after you do the intervals is also beneficial.

If you have a heart rate monitor (HRM) you can use that to hit specific heart rates to maximise the benefit. Intervals without a HRM are fantastic anyway though!

Adding littles bits of incidental exercise throughout the day will also contribute to your daily calorie burn.
    Hope that helps!
    Heidi
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising at all, so yes you can lose it with walking.
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great low impact exercise. You can walk fast and walk slow. The best walking coach to workout to is Leslie Sansone. I work out to her every night or when the weather is bad. Just walking and changing my food habit I already lost 17lbs in 2 months.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that you can! You can burn plenty of calories walking and it's absolutely better than nothing!
  • briannaleigh89
    Options
    Yes, you can continue losing weight by walking alone. Just remember to push for longer walks and vary your terrain. The more you do it, the easier it will become to walk longer distances and maybe even run! A great tip is to measure your steps. Strive for 10,000 steps a day:) Keep on walking!!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Walking works really well. I lost 96 lbs walking to and from work, so 25 min each way (fast), five days per week. This works especially well in places where there is no snow in the winter.

I'm now adding in an extra 5 min each way and I have to figure out a new route that's a bit longer (and hillier).

Mirii
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too since I am so close to my goal...Is walking to lose weight more for heavier people compared to someone who has less to lose? I am currently doing Chalean Extreme for toning. Some days I will do a Leslie Sansone dvd and walk anywhere between 3-5 miles. However, I am wondering how effective it is since I have less to lose:huh: ?

For what it is worth, I also do a couple days a week of intense cardio as well. So, it isn't strictly Chalean or Leslie Sansone.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight, you can achieve fat loss merely through diet... but exercise is very beneficial for you of course, and any exercise is better than none.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I don't have much options for a different type of exercise during the week and on the weekends im home with my 3 yr old. We don't have the money for a gym membership so I just walk a lot during the week and if im up to it zumba on the weekends for 20 to 25 min at a time. Will i be able to keep losing weight with just walking? I tried running but i hurt really bad for over a week straight so don't think i wanna try that again for a while. What do you mfp's think? So far since starting i have lost about a lb a week. But didn't know if i will stop losing like this if i don't change things up?
    I personally know people that have lost weight with just walking alone, but their muscle tone wasn't very good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I have lost weight on every vacation that I've taken because I'm walking so much. Even when I've been in countries like Greece, Italy and Spain and thoroughly enjoying my gelato and wine. I probably could have lost more weight without the goodies, but I'm OK with just enjoying the scenery and taking it all in.
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    walking is a great activity and is very enjoyable. Try adding in some sprints occasionally to get your blood pumping! Weight loss is made in the kitchen. Watch what you eat and exercise as you can with your little one!
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk and each and every day outside and its all I have done :) I have tried jogging but it is not my cup of tea so walking it is. I have gone so far from a size 24 to now a size 12 :) I will keep walking because its working.As for muscle I wear a weighted vest when I do walk and I do the sit ups.push ups and free weights to keep everything tight.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    when i was 21 i lost 80 pounds just walking