Is This Like my Dr said - Worthless Exercise!?

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    A bad workout is better than no workout.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It really saddens me to hear that your doctor told you that basically it isn't worth doing. Well, I'll tell you what my physical therapist told me...he said that it takes time to build up, especially if you weigh what I weigh( which at the time was 335lbs) and with my back issues. He told me to walk for 5 minutes at a time all day, because if I can walk let's says 5 minutes, 6 times a day that's 30 minutes that I have exercised. He told me that from there, I just need to keep adjusting it up a little longer when I notice that 5 minutes at a time is pretty easy to do, then it's time to up it. I think you walking back and forth to work is wonderful! And if it's starting to get easier and easier to do or you notice it's taking you 10 minutes to get there because you are able to pick up the pace, then it's time to add more in like at lunch walk around your building for the 12 minutes or walk up and down some stairs for the 12 minutes.

Don't let this discourage you!! It's awesome that you are walking back and forth, way to go!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't let what your doctor said get to you, sounds like he was trying to motivate you to do more exercise (which isn't a bad idea), but what you are doing is absolutely not worthless! Think of ways to fit in extra...maybe in the morning you just walk straight there, but on the way you home take a longer route! When I was working (recently lost my job...) I would sneak in exercise there like crunches in the bathroom stall (perch on edge of toilet with feet on the stall door), squats in the bathroom, calf raises while you sit at your desk. Heck, even being a little fidgety burns a few extra calories! Congratulations on taking a huge step towards a healthier life for yourself.
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm overweight. 65 lbs overweight. I speed walk to and from work. I don't walk slowly. My heart pounds, and I am sweating and out of breath. I have to change because of it by the time I get to work or back home. Walking briskly is a truly hard workout for me. I'm OUT OF SHAPE. That's why my car looks so darned good, as I choose to pass by it.

I'm frustrated with my doctor for not supporting me. Can I do better? Yes. But with 9 children and a 60 hour work week, working nights, I still think I'm doing darned good.

I also do rounds several times a night (I'm a nurse), and I have 2 solid hours at work where I am on my feet running, caring for patients, moving them, lifting them, etc...

It is HARD to find TIME to do more at home. I go home, wind down (as I am now), then sleep til the afternoon. Then it's running around trying to take care of all my responsibilitiers before picking up kids, making supper, cleaning house and getting ready for another worknight.

I get a day off every 9 days. On my day off, I admit to catching up on some rest. Maybe I could force myself to do a cardio workout on that day, instead.

All in all, thank you for the validation.

It sounds idiotic to you doing things much more athletic/active, but I feel GOOD when I get to work, and I feel GOOD when I come home. That short, hard walk makes me feel like I'm at least TRYING. And when I add up my calories, I am happy, happy, happy when I do well! :-)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No movement is worthless (except shake weights. :bigsmile:). A lot of people start by just parking farther from the entrance of work/school/shopping. Just build up to more.

This. If you're not used to doing anything, this is a wonderful start. Don't let the naysayers discourage you. Keep it up, and as you're able, add in more. There is no "right" way to do this. Just make continual improvements over what you used to do.
  • loischapman
    Options
    any time of movement on your behalf is a zillion times better than nothing...and just become consistent with that walk and slowly begin to add more. Shame:heart: o n that Dr. you go girl and hopefully exercise with begin to be more! good luck. walk on:heart:
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    He might be of the old school, which believed that nothing under 20 to 30 minutes counts as workout. Yes, it is better to get your heart rate up for a longer time, but heck....I have given up talking to doctors. I was in my life overweight and normal weighting. Before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, the answer I got from any doctor is "Well your knees hurt because you are too heavy". Really? At size 6 it was still the same....

Don't forget that most doctors learned about weightloss some 20 or 30 years ago.Unless they visit classes, they will stick to what they learned technically in the dark ages of weight loss :).
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your doing great! We all have to start someplace and if you are not in shape enough to walk for a half hour to an hour daily then you can do more damage than good. listen to your body and keep going. There is nothing wrong with building your time up when if feels right.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I always say that ANY improvement is better than nothing. For example I work from home so lead a largely sedentary life, however I have recently bought a mini cycler which I can cycle on under my desk at in my study. Friends have laughed at me and are saying that this is nothing to be proud of, but I simply do not agree at all.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this makes me think of all the patients I see with drs that have told them there is no point in losing any weight at all (coming from 200kg/400lb-ish) if they don't get down to their healthy weight range. Keep up the good work!
  • utayah
    utayah Posts: 43
    Options
    Definitely keep it up! You are getting healthier by walking. I don't even understand why your dr would make such a discouraging comment!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

It sounds idiotic to you doing things much more athletic/active, but I feel GOOD when I get to work, and I feel GOOD when I come home. That short, hard walk makes me feel like I'm at least TRYING. And when I add up my calories, I am happy, happy, happy when I do well! :-)

I don't think anyone would find this idiotic. It's wonderful. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I mentioned to my doctor that I was walking to work (it is a 12 minute walk for me) and back for exercise. For me, this is a HUGE improvement from my usual doing NOTHING, daily (I always mean to, but never end up doing it. I work nights, so it's hard).

My doctor shook his head and told me to just get OUT there and make it a point to give it at least a half hour to an hour. That my walks to and from work weren't worth anything.

I was feeling good about what I was doing. Believe me, when I pass my car on my way out, it takes effort not to just sit down and turn the ignition and RIDE to work.

So... is this true?! Is my walking to work silly?

I am, as an aside, planning to do more than that on days that I can (roughly 1-3 days/week), but ... !?!?!?
    Anything is better than nothing - sure.
    And the Dr is correct. You need to sustain your exercise duration for 30 minutes or more for it to really benefit you and make a big difference.
    That is true.

Keep walking to work, and see about setting time aside for real exercise.
  • gk6277
    gk6277 Posts: 2
    Options
    Every journey starts with a single step .... you have started now, you can build up to power walking to work, adding in jogging, and taking longer and longer routes - safety permitting, Either way you have made a start, so words like 'worthless' just fire you up to prove 'em, wrong !!! Well done ; )
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Working those hours with one day off you should take the rest day. Is there any way you could fit in 10 or 15 minutes brisk walk at breaktimes - then you'd be doing roughly 40 mins cardio a day, on top of what you burn working...

Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I mentioned to my doctor that I was walking to work (it is a 12 minute walk for me) and back for exercise. For me, this is a HUGE improvement from my usual doing NOTHING, daily (I always mean to, but never end up doing it. I work nights, so it's hard).

My doctor shook his head and told me to just get OUT there and make it a point to give it at least a half hour to an hour. That my walks to and from work weren't worth anything.

I was feeling good about what I was doing. Believe me, when I pass my car on my way out, it takes effort not to just sit down and turn the ignition and RIDE to work.

So... is this true?! Is my walking to work silly?

I am, as an aside, planning to do more than that on days that I can (roughly 1-3 days/week), but ... !?!?!?

:X I will keep the mean cussing to myself.

NO exercise is worthless. I started by walking to the stop sign (6 houses down) and back. Wall push ups standing straight up and pushing off the wall......etc. It is a start. When you feel stronger you will move more, PROMISE!!

Logging here does a lot for me. Makes me look and see the diff between last week and this.

I live in a great community. The main road has nice views and sidewalks. On my way to work a month ago I saw this dude I dubbed Shake Weight Dude. He was about 70ish, walking with his SW first in one hand, then the other. Slowly walking over the little bridge.

I saw SWD yesterday and he was bookin'!! Sweating and looks like he lost 20 pounds!!!

What ever you do, do it for YOU and it will be great!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a wanker. That's not to say he/she isn't right that you can always do more, as above poster said, it's a great start and anything is better than nothing! It's all in the delivery of the message. His/her "bedside" manner is obviously lacking.

This! Keep at it hun, you'll find it easier and easier doing more, the more you do :smile:
  • kysusan
    kysusan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely not worthless. And besides that, you are saving gas and reducing CO2 emissions, which are excellent benefits. What your doctor should have told you is that you need to add on to this great start you've made. Your doc needs to work on his bedside manner!
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    If you haven't been consistent with any type of activity, I think this is a great start. Work up to more walking as you can, and while you walk try to walk a little faster, not just a leisurely stroll. We have to start somewhere, and just developing the habit tomove more in general is a good one. Good for you, for making a change!
    Your doctor is a wanker.

^^ Both of these. I used to drive, literally a 3 min walk, up the road to get stuff. I am a chronic driver and so I know how hard it is passing your car and walking, and I think it's a brilliant start and most definitely better than nothing!! Some doctors are such *kitten*. I'm annoyed for you. :angry:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hey there from doing nothing to walkinh 12 mins a day is better than a kick up the bottom! :noway:

i am sorry to say your dr is wrong on this....BUT you should try going a long way to work to up it to half a hr :):frown: