checking in after a long away.. lots new stuff!

Options
Well, I started MFP about a year ago. Lost 12 lbs. then got out of habit by end of summer (too hot to exercise, I told myself).

Gained back 7 or 8 lbs over the fall/winter.

awww shucks!

Finally talked to my boyfriend about my struggles. I'm not overweight, but I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when he met me. I've read that falling in love is a great diet... I disagree.. it was disasterous to my diet! He runs 5+ miles daily and can eat whatever he wants ... so having him in the house with me, watching him take seconds and thirds at dinner time.. it became a "when in rome" kind of atmosphere and I was eating (and drinking) way too much.

So. I talked to him about how hard it is for me when he's gorging to stay on a diet. He suggested he only eat what I eat. only drink when I drink, etc. He will eat bigger lunches at work, and snacks during the day so that he can feel fine with a smaller dinner.

I made a commitment to drinking more water and taking my vitamins (I'm iron deficient and also take b complex).

I made a commitment to drink less (wine once a week instead of 3x a week).

I also am staying away from refined sugars and starchy foods.

One day a week I let myself splurge and anything I want to have for dinner, I can (This is also my wine night).

also.. I GOT ENGAGED! Yay! after 2 years together he finally did it last week! (and it was perfect!)

We're getting married/honeymooning in Jamaica in June 2010.. so I have plenty of time to get in bathing suit shape!

So. I'm down 7.5 lbs in just 16 days! back to where I was when i gave up last summer!

Only 10 lbs to go!

I've noticed a HUGE difference in how much I lose when I'm not drinking. I know wine itself isn't supposed to have that many calories, but I think that I must have a strange metabolism (and I also get the munchies when I drink). Anyone else notice that alchohol seems to make them gain weight over and beyond the calorie count? I dont' know if there's a genetic predisposition, but when my mom was an alcoholic she got really really overweight.. whereas I know that some people who are alcoholics just waste away...

Ok, enough rambling. I'm just re-committing! I CAN get back down to 130...

~LP (who's not so lonely anymore!)

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Well, I started MFP about a year ago. Lost 12 lbs. then got out of habit by end of summer (too hot to exercise, I told myself).

Gained back 7 or 8 lbs over the fall/winter.

awww shucks!

Finally talked to my boyfriend about my struggles. I'm not overweight, but I am about 10 lbs heavier than I was when he met me. I've read that falling in love is a great diet... I disagree.. it was disasterous to my diet! He runs 5+ miles daily and can eat whatever he wants ... so having him in the house with me, watching him take seconds and thirds at dinner time.. it became a "when in rome" kind of atmosphere and I was eating (and drinking) way too much.

So. I talked to him about how hard it is for me when he's gorging to stay on a diet. He suggested he only eat what I eat. only drink when I drink, etc. He will eat bigger lunches at work, and snacks during the day so that he can feel fine with a smaller dinner.

I made a commitment to drinking more water and taking my vitamins (I'm iron deficient and also take b complex).

I made a commitment to drink less (wine once a week instead of 3x a week).

I also am staying away from refined sugars and starchy foods.

One day a week I let myself splurge and anything I want to have for dinner, I can (This is also my wine night).

also.. I GOT ENGAGED! Yay! after 2 years together he finally did it last week! (and it was perfect!)

We're getting married/honeymooning in Jamaica in June 2010.. so I have plenty of time to get in bathing suit shape!

So. I'm down 7.5 lbs in just 16 days! back to where I was when i gave up last summer!

Only 10 lbs to go!

I've noticed a HUGE difference in how much I lose when I'm not drinking. I know wine itself isn't supposed to have that many calories, but I think that I must have a strange metabolism (and I also get the munchies when I drink). Anyone else notice that alchohol seems to make them gain weight over and beyond the calorie count? I dont' know if there's a genetic predisposition, but when my mom was an alcoholic she got really really overweight.. whereas I know that some people who are alcoholics just waste away...

Ok, enough rambling. I'm just re-committing! I CAN get back down to 130...

~LP (who's not so lonely anymore!)
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Back and best wishes!! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Welcome back & congrats on your engagement! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of falling in love being a great diet- I know when in a relationship people get comfortable and thats when the weight comes one.

However a good diet is (not reccomending) is break-ups because your back on the market and you shed your comfortable pounds.

I know what your saying about the when in rome comment about eating like your boyfriend-

I do the same thing with my husband- except I don't want him to change the way he eats for me I just had to realize that I can't eat like him at all :noway: - So I don't try to keep up with him- I couldn't expect him to eat less because of me for the simple fact that his metabolism is ridiculous and he needs more food than I do and if he ate little like I did then he would lose weight and look sickly- So I let him be and he encourages me.

Good luck on your goals and yes drinking too much will add up in pounds- My friend learned that the hard way
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome back:flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    welcome back, I have only been here 2 months but I still wanted to welcome you.