Weight Loss with children

Options

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I agree and thats why prams and work out dvd's have been invented!! Walking to the park, shops or doing 20 min work out dvd is just great!! It's what I have done, lost 53 pounds and still losing!!

Wonderful loss! Congratulations!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 times a week doing P90X, so I am not using my kid as an excuse by any means. However, it is impossible to work out when his dad is not around, and I totally understand why some moms struggling with it.
    It really depends on the personality , the age and the potential siblings of the kid.

I have a single child a 3 yrs old momma's boy. He often do the same as pp describe. Come over hugs my leg and ask / cry "mommy play with me, be with me etc" Sorry but I do not think it is a good parenting to send away the child in such situation.
    I am sure in a few yrs it will not be a problem, but right now it is a BIG problem.

Sometimes he comes and says he want to work out with me. On days when I do cardio for a workout DVD it is totally fine, he can jump beside me. On days, when I do strength training and handling 15-20 lb weight in a small space , I can not have him within 5 feet radius, because I am afraid of hitting him accidentally with the bulky dumbbells.

When he was a baby , and I was home with him, working out was not a problem, since babies nap a lot. It became problem once I went back to school and he was away from me half day . As he had less time with me, he became increasingly clingy during the time he was home with me, which is totally understandable.

Also he has no siblings, he has nobody else to play with except his parents.When you have multiple kids that entertain each other and play together is a totally different experience, imho.

Right now , I can work out if I get up early enough to get a workout before he gets up. Or I can work out at the evening after he gone to bed, or I can work out on the weekend when his dad is around to play with him.
  • ImHoRnY69
    Options
    I found a new way to lose weight...drink toilet water. It has hidden protein like you wouldnt believe. Dogs know what they are talking about.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think you made a good point with setting a good example, but I also am of the belief that every one has the right to live a happy life what ever that might be, I know how it is to work 8hr sleep 8 hr, then you have only 8 hr for cleaning, hobbies, cooking and relaxing time, it can be done but that doesn't mean that it can make a person happy in their situation to do it there have been many times in my life were working out is not a priority at all nor does it have to be.

I think kid's also can be very understanding, my mom couldn't do a lot of things because of us kids and I remember thinking wow my mom gives this up cause she loves us, so that's not so cut and dry, also if the child hears that they may be more inclined to giving their mom a break, kid's kinda take from the cues we give them, if we act like something is bad they will think it is too, if we act like its no big deal they will learn from that too
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I think you made a good point with setting a good example, but I also am of the belief that every one has the right to live a happy life what ever that might be, I know how it is to work 8hr sleep 8 hr, then you have only 8 hr for cleaning, hobbies, cooking and relaxing time, it can be done but that doesn't mean that it can make a person happy in their situation to do it there have been many times in my life were working out is not a priority at all nor does it have to be.

I think kid's also can be very understanding, my mom couldn't do a lot of things because of us kids and I remember thinking wow my mom gives this up cause she loves us, so that's not so cut and dry, also if the child hears that they may be more inclined to giving their mom a break, kid's kinda take from the cues we give them, if we act like something is bad they will think it is too, if we act like its no big deal they will learn from that too

I agree that everyone has the right to be happy. That's why I said it was "doable", not that I think everyone should. I kind of feel bad that a few people read this and thought I was saying everyone should be just like me. I'm totally not saying that-I AM saying that it was difficult but I did it-it is not impossible like some people think. :heart: There have definitely been times in my life when working out is not a priority. I also know what it is like to work (more than) full time (I did real estate-worked a full day + hours almost every day plus weekends), go to college at the same time and raise a toddler alone-and that was one of the times I was in the best shape of my life-I worked out and ate healthfully. I felt that it was very important to put diet and exercise first when I was working, going to school and raising a child because it helped me to be fit and have the energy I needed to get everything done...
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    Yea it's all about the individual priority, some people have it in them to do a lot of things and others not so much, people deal with all kinds of struggles, I for one did the working two jobs going to school and cooking and cleaning thing, I couldn't do it and that was with out working out, I have an anxoity disorder and can be prone to depression if I am faced with multiple things required of me where I just shut down and sleep, my sister however is a supper woman, she can do the working cleaning raising kids and school thing and still have her time with her friends, she has never been the type to work out but she eats the right amount and has always returned to her pre babby weight which is tiny, So I guess I feel for those woman who feel over welhemed by raising a babby taking care of hubby and house and feel like they are drowning enough as it is, but I also think you are awesome to encouraging woman to do the best they can, the only way we grow as people is pushing and seeing how far and how much we can do =)

I also think being a food junkie is the same as being a drug juinkie you can only quit when you are ready, no one can convince you until you are ready to be convinced,
  • piercedanatomy
    piercedanatomy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have both used my kids as an excuse to exercise and to not exercise. It's about priorities. I have to remind myself what I tell my patients caretakers (I'm a PT assistant in long term and sub acute care). If you don't take care of yourself where will the two (or more) of you be??? It's also about perspective and putting yourself in a place to succeed. For two years I went to the gym at 5 in the morning 5 to 7 days a week. I took my kids to my weight watchers meetings (that took a lot of preparation to keep them busy and quiet). I had a 3 year old and newborn when I started. I wasn't just doing it for myself. I made it a priority and did it for my girls. Then my husband's job changed and he went from a stable schedule and could no longer help me as much. Then he deployed to Ballad for the first time since we had been married. I started having worse anxiety and panic attacks. After starting lexapro I gained almost 30 pounds in the 4 months he was gone and lost all of my motivation. I have since gained a total of about 80 pounds after being only a few pounds away from a healthy weight for the first time since I was about 8. I now take my kids to the ymca with me. It's a bit expensive however my kids take all kinds of classes that cost more per month on the outside than it does for our family membership and it's a reason for me to get off my rump. I find that woman inspirational to be able to do this. I work full time, am a mother of 2, a wife of an Air Force member who was gone over a total of 10 months last year alone, and am basically a single mom without the benefit of dating or having family close to help me. I need all the help and inspiration I can get!!!!!!!!!!

14664421.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • piercedanatomy
    piercedanatomy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm also proud to say that both of my girls, now 9 and 6, are both a healthy weight, often make wise food choices, try to help me make better choices, and beg to go to exercise!

14664421.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 3 year old. Your kid has to go to bed eventually. Mine is in bed by 8 so that gives me 2 hours to do what I need to do including workout. That's when I work out. I refuse to wake up earlier so I just do it once he is in bed. On the weekends we do stuff outside weather permitting or I do it during his nap time. There's always time if you really, truly want to do it. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i am going to start riding my bike with my 10 yr old as she got a new one for christmas. i am really excited about this. lol I need a life
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    i am going to start riding my bike with my 10 yr old as she got a new one for christmas. i am really excited about this. lol I need a life

I think it's great that you're excited about it! I hope you and your daughter have a lot of fun! :happy:
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the children and what type of exercise you are looking to do. Of course, I run around with my son ALL day long, and it does give me exercise, but if you are looking to do some kind of workout Dvd or exercise machine and have children under 2, it's not very possible. My son wants me to pick him up when I am doing my 30 Day Shred, and it is not a Dvd that you can stop and pick him up for who knows how long. I have tried to run on a treadmill while watching him before, and I had to stop within 30 seconds because he was trying to climb on.

Some children are great and will cooperate, and some won't. You can get exercise with children, but most of it is exercise you wouldn't count because it isn't much.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    I also think it's good for children to learn the word no, and also to learn the world doesn't revalve around them, which If I remember correctly from a book they start to realise that at age 5, but it's good for them to learn mom is her own person, and its good for a mom to have time to breath
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I also think it's good for children to learn the word no, and also to learn the world doesn't revalve around them, which If I remember correctly from a book they start to realise that at age 5, but it's good for them to learn mom is her own person, and its good for a mom to have time to breath

I agree-but I think age 5 is too late to wait. That lets bad habits form and they are much too hard to break. A child needs to be taught from a young age that they can't throw fits. Jenna (my 4th child) went through a stage when she was very tiny (under 2) where she would throw a bloody fit if I put her down and I broke her of it really fast. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior in my children, it needs to be corrected as early as possible-so that the child grows up knowing not to do it in the first place, rather than the parent having to correct that learned behavior in the child after they already get used to it. Children understand a lot more than people think, even as very young toddlers, and even if they can't communicate things very well themselves. If I had a 1 year old or a 3 year old that was "very clingy and won't let me [blank]" i'd be correcting it as soon as possible. I wouldn't condone it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That's great for you. Personally, my children weren't an excuse, they were a REASON. I did lose weight, but I didn't get enough exercise. I couldn't, so I didn't like the way I looked when I lost the weight.

As soon as my youngest was in nursery one morning a week, I used that time to go running. Before that it wasn't a possibility. For a start I breastfed him until he was 3 and there was no way I was running with milk in my 32HHs.

Right now I am stuck with minimal exercise because my husband works the other end of the country and is never home, I am doing a Masters degree in another city I have to drive to, I am on various committees and councils and I also sing semi-professionally. I don't. have. time. Yes, I could sacrifice my work, but I'd get bad marks, making my degree pointless. I could sleep less, but I already only get 5 hours a night, and I think I might die if I tried to cut that down. At some point, something has to give, and it's either my sanity or a couple of runs a week. I get 12.5 hours in the entire week child free, and I have to fit lectures, tutorials and library time into that. Frankly, when my children are home, I want to be with them, because I get little enough time as it is. I'd rather be a good mother than a thin one.

Sometimes there is a reason you can't get as much exercise as you would like, and I don't think it helps anyone who is frustrated about that fact to criticise them for making excuses.
  • vramirez50
    vramirez50 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have one child who is about to be 4 years old. I'm a single mom and a full time student so it does get difficult for me to work out. With good motivation and support I lost about 40 lbs. it is possible but can be very difficult for some people. Just stay motivated and know it takes time before results began to show.
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's great for you. Personally, my children weren't an excuse, they were a REASON. I did lose weight, but I didn't get enough exercise. I couldn't, so I didn't like the way I looked when I lost the weight.

As soon as my youngest was in nursery one morning a week, I used that time to go running. Before that it wasn't a possibility. For a start I breastfed him until he was 3 and there was no way I was running with milk in my 32HHs.

Right now I am stuck with minimal exercise because my husband works the other end of the country and is never home, I am doing a Masters degree in another city I have to drive to, I am on various committees and councils and I also sing semi-professionally. I don't. have. time. Yes, I could sacrifice my work, but I'd get bad marks, making my degree pointless. I could sleep less, but I already only get 5 hours a night, and I think I might die if I tried to cut that down. At some point, something has to give, and it's either my sanity or a couple of runs a week. I get 12.5 hours in the entire week child free, and I have to fit lectures, tutorials and library time into that. Frankly, when my children are home, I want to be with them, because I get little enough time as it is. I'd rather be a good mother than a thin one.

Sometimes there is a reason you can't get as much exercise as you would like, and I don't think it helps anyone who is frustrated about that fact to criticise them for making excuses.

I hear ya! I barely left the house for the first 6 months of my oldest son's life. He nursed CONSTANTLY! My youngest (3 months) is a much different kid. He comes along in the jogging stroller 3 days a week and sleeps the whole time.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

I wasn't criticizing anyone, I was trying to post something encouraging. I have times when I can't find time for exercise as well. I guess negative people are going to find something negative in anything that is posted though.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    Oh I tottaly agree, what I was talking about is their are children phycoligest that have studied children, and they found that a child veiws their mother as an extension of themseves and they aren't really mindful of others until after they learn themselves then they learn their invoerment then others and how they corolate around them, it's about age five that they start to kinda see the difference between them and others, but no the rules should be set inplace from before, I agree with this tottaly
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    Oh I tottaly agree, what I was talking about is their are children phycoligest that have studied children, and they found that a child veiws their mother as an extension of themseves and they aren't really mindful of others until after they learn themselves then they learn their invoerment then others and how they corolate around them, it's about age five that they start to kinda see the difference between them and others, but no the rules should be set inplace from before, I agree with this tottaly