breastfeeding

Options
im 27 y/o still breastfeeding my 14 mth old, idk if 1200 calories is too little for me to be breastfeeding and getting the proper nutrition that my body needs does anyone have info about this or suggestions? any bfing mamas know about this?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    theres an option in the foods section - search for breastfeeding and it will give you varying options depending on how often you nurse. it will add calories to your day. ive heard that nursing mothers shouldnt go below 1700 calories, but i think thats when exclusively breastfeeding a newborn
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    1200 calories would definitely be too low. That is the lowest recommended for a non-nursing mother.

I would try 1700 calories and if you are losing no more than 1.5# per week and your nursling seems to still be receiving adequate supply, you should be fine. If you feel like your milk supply is suffering, then bump the caloric intake up a little until you fine the place where you are losing slowly and your toddler is still satisfied.

(Just as an aside - enjoy this time. It was such a long time ago that mine were nursing toddlers. Now they are teenagers and young adults. Enjoy all the snuggle time. Sniff, sniff.)
  • 1200 calories would definitely be too low. That is the lowest recommended for a non-nursing mother.

I would try 1700 calories and if you are losing no more than 1.5# per week and your nursling seems to still be receiving adequate supply, you should be fine. If you feel like your milk supply is suffering, then bump the caloric intake up a little until you fine the place where you are losing slowly and your toddler is still satisfied.

(Just as an aside - enjoy this time. It was such a long time ago that mine were nursing toddlers. Now they are teenagers and young adults. Enjoy all the snuggle time. Sniff, sniff.)

thanks ginger! i have lost 4 pounds in less than a week by consuming 1400 calories because i burned off over 200..i feel like if i go up to 1600 or 1700 i wont lose the weight! I love nursing her but she only nurses 2 times a day, sometimes 3 and i stay at home with her so i wouldnt be too sad if she decided she didnt want to nurse anymore! I didnt think id make it to 3 months much less 14 lol! im happy i did and i will until she is ready to wean! thanks for the advice, i do feel like i need more bc i get hungry alot in the evening! trying to find foods with less sugar!