Should I buy a TreadMill?

I am not a fan of going to the gym. I have a big room and would think a treadmill would be useful, especially with a T.V infront. My price Range is 400-600 maybe 700 dollars. http://www.horizonfitnessoutlet.com/t101.html is the one I'm thiking of buying. I weight about 235 pounds and need something sturdy. Should I get one? Any reccomendations/ Thanks

Replies

• JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    If you think you will use it and it will help you get healthy then sure! I started out on a treadmill to build confindence and see what I could do. Then I started running outside, and now I go to the gym. Its a great place to start, and it is a great alternative to running/walking outside when the weather is gross or dark. Good luck!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    I'd try to find a really high quality one on Craigslist instead of buying new. Also, frankly, I think they are a waste of money until you KNOW you like working out on them and you KNOW you actually WILL workout on them. Just because you buy it doesn't mean you'll use it. I'd walk/jog around my neighborhood and see how I was able to stick to those workouts before investing in a treadmill. Some people find they like ellipticals better. Some people find that working out on them is rather boring. I joined my gym for $7/month-at that rate, I'd have to go for 8 YEARS to the gym for the $700 price. I strongly prefer to run outside and GO somewhere when I'm running, but I do use mine at the gym because it is convenient and an easy way for me to track time and miles.
    If you want to workout at home, I'd invest in a few videos and weights--cheapest way to get in shape without a huge piece of equipment in your way, and, if you don't stick with it, you aren't out $400-700.
    I see the previous poster mentioned weather. This is the only way I'd consider getting one(but I'd still probably just use one at the gym for the reason stated above) I live in So. Cal, so I have no excuse for getting one for poor weather conditions. If you live in Arizona and want to use it in the summer for indoors, by all means, go for it. Maybe a good idea would be to get a 1 week pass to a gym to try them out to make sure you LIKE working out on them. You never have to see those people again after the 1 week and you'll know if you actually prefer that or an elliptical or bike--try them all out to see what you like best before purchase.