Excess Skin?

Options
Hi I have about 80lbs ultimately to lose and I was wondering if it will happen. I haven't really "asked" anyone that's lost that much weight if they have it or not. I learned in one of my college classes that you lose fat cell size NOT number so you'll always have the same number of fat cells but they'll just get smaller. So I guess I'm polling the audience. If you've lose 80+lbs or even 50+lbs do you have excess skin???

OH P.S. I have most my weight in my thighs and hips and some of my belly.

THANKS!!!!

Replies

• yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on each person, and how you lose the weight. i've lost over 190 lbs, over the course of 5 years, through changing my eating habits, a lot of exercise, primarily yoga & pilates & running... and i have NO loose skin. I believe it is because i have lost slowly, my skin has maintained its elasticity and reshaped to my body as i lose.

everyone i know who has loose skin has lost the weight very quickly.

just my thoughts, im not a doctor or anything, i just speak from my own experience.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    at your age you peobally might be lucky,don't smoke tho thats a big fator,tone and exersice well and you just might be lucky
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    ive lost 48pounds and dont have excess skin, make sure ur using weights to tone as well as slogging i out on the cardio - good luck xx
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It all depends on genetics and how long you have had the extra weight and usually age, the younger you are the better elasticity your skin has.. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about extra/loose skin, some people are lucky and don't have it and others are stuck with it.

Loosing weight slowly is always the best, it allows your body and skin to adjust to the weight loss....

Good luck with you journey!
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs and have excess skin in my stomach. But I have also had 4 kids. I have been told losing the weight slowly will help with not having so much excess.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't have any excess skin and that's a good thing when I lost the weight at my age :smile: .
    Just make sure you exercise. I know a lady that just dieted. She had tons of excess skin. She's also put all the weight back on.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    thanks yall!!!!
  • Mariasteffy
    Options
    I lost 150lbs through gastric bypass 10 years ago and had excess skin. I have found this to be true, where you have stretch marks, you will probably have excess skin. It really boils down to how fast you lose, your age, and genetics. Best of luck!!