Why Weight Plateaus Don't Matter

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
Looking at my weight over the past year, it looks like I haven't done much.

This time last year I was at 133.2. Last month I got down to 130.2, and after increasing my carbohydrates by 5% and celebrating my b-day Tuesday, I'm up to 132.2, but that will drop back down in time. Over the summer I peaked at 139.2. So you could either say that I dropped from 139 to 130, and lost only 9 lbs in a year, or you could say that I only dropped from 133 to 130 and lost only 3 lbs in a year. Neither one sounds impressive, does it? Why, you might even say I had the plateau of a lifetime and the whole year was a total bust.

Oh, but wait. Then you look at my pictures.

March 2008

n31207658_32378731_6777.jpg

And March 2009

n31207658_33670584_148.jpg

The scale does NOT have to move for you to see results.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Looking at my weight over the past year, it looks like I haven't done much.

This time last year I was at 133.2. Last month I got down to 130.2, and after increasing my carbohydrates by 5% and celebrating my b-day Tuesday, I'm up to 132.2, but that will drop back down in time. Over the summer I peaked at 139.2. So you could either say that I dropped from 139 to 130, and lost only 9 lbs in a year, or you could say that I only dropped from 133 to 130 and lost only 3 lbs in a year. Neither one sounds impressive, does it? Why, you might even say I had the plateau of a lifetime and the whole year was a total bust.

Oh, but wait. Then you look at my pictures.

March 2008

n31207658_32378731_6777.jpg

And March 2009

n31207658_33670584_148.jpg

The scale does NOT have to move for you to see results.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    WOW:noway:

So proud of you missy!!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I'm not trying to boast, just pointing out that weight fluctuations are pretty superficial. There's really no reason to worry about a few pound gain here and there, especially when resistance training. No, you're not going to gain a lb of muscle in a week, but your body undergoes huge changes in other aspects when you start any exercise program. Everyone needs a floppy tape measure! :wink:
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Not a plateau in sight!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • nearhart04
    Options
    Very encouraging (and impressive, might I add)!!! I agree with you. While I would love to lose weight, I am more concerned about how I look. Being thicker but toned is way more attractive than thin and mushy. You've also just encouraged me to take some photos of myself... hopefully they will keep me motivated as they've done for you. Cheers!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Very encouraging (and impressive, might I add)!!! I agree with you. While I would love to lose weight, I am more concerned about how I look. Being thicker but toned is way more attractive than thin and mushy. You've also just encouraged me to take some photos of myself... hopefully they will keep me motivated as they've done for you. Cheers!

Photos are awesome! I was actually getting discouraged when I took this photo. I hadn't taken photos for about 6 months, and over the summer did visually add some abdominal fat, and I was just feeling tired from training hard and unsure of my progress because I hadn't really been looking at myself. When my bf took the pic I was really blown away because I had no idea my back had developed so much (unlike the Old Navy mannequins, I can't swivel my head to check out my butt! :laugh: )

Now when I'm feeling down or unmotivated I look at that and realize what good hard training will do. It doesn't matter what it does to the scale, just what it does to my body!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nice work SBS!! You are my inspiration right now. I'm about the same weight and only a few years older, but would love to be more toned.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Awwe, thank you! :flowerforyou:
    It definitely takes a lot of work but I am really proud of what I've accomplished. I definitely look up to moms who have the motivation to be in shape...you already have your hands full (of cuteness!)!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    good post- Measuring yourself is key- the scale doesn't have to move for you to look like you dropped 15lbs because of toning and muscle- Checking fat percentage, and measuring yourself are better ways to check progress then just weighing
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    good post- Measuring yourself is key- the scale doesn't have to move for you to look like you dropped 15lbs because of toning and muscle- Checking fat percentage, and measuring yourself are better ways to check progress then just weighing

Exactly. Back when I first started in 2006, I dropped about 5 lbs in my first 5 weeks. That alone was a good loss, but I dropped an entire pant size and people really noticed, because it was almost entirely body fat (we did caliper measurements and determined how many lbs of fat: muscle were lost). So I maintained my muscle mass and lost a good chunk of fat (about the size of a big loaf of bread) even with a little 5 lb difference.
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    that is freaking awesome,gosh i cant wait to look that good! you go girl:drinker:
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    that is freaking awesome,gosh i cant wait to look that good! you go girl:drinker:
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to boast, just pointing out that weight fluctuations are pretty superficial. There's really no reason to worry about a few pound gain here and there, especially when resistance training. No, you're not going to gain a lb of muscle in a week, but your body undergoes huge changes in other aspects when you start any exercise program. Everyone needs a floppy tape measure! :wink:

Thanks, this makes me feel so much better!
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think there's alot to lean from what you've just said way to go P.S. hope you had a good birthday
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You are my idol, SBS. You look awesome!!!
    I need to take my monthly updated pics. I'm a couple of weeks behind- oh well. Right now I'm not changing that much, or so I thought. My friend just told me that my legs look leaner and my trainer told me the same thing last week. I've been doing Jillian Michael's 'Making the Cut'. As soon as I take my new pics I'll know just how well it is working. :bigsmile:

Have fun tonight!!
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    You look great, you have did amazing. Can I ask how tall you are?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    wow huge difference! Not that you didn't look great, even in the before pic! :flowerforyou:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    talk talk talk......................................turn around then we'll see how much of am improvemant
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

Oh, you beautiful muscular girl, you. Bless you for posting this today.:flowerforyou: You've been my inspiration to really weight train. . .lifting heavy and working to failure. (things I used to do in my youth. . .)

Yesterday, in spinning I looked down at my arms and said "man, I'm getting definition." Then, the scale mocked me this a.m. and brought me down for nearly the entire day. I've promised myself that tomorrow I'm getting out my floppy tape measure (it's around here somewhere. . .) and, for the record I actually threw away my scale this morning.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i mean, the pictures really speak for themselves!

You look fabulous!!! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!