Question for Londoners

Options
andiechick
andiechick Posts: 916 Member
Question for all you londoners out there...

I know I may be criticised from some of the more 'serious' members of this site but I believe we should live our lives while we can and have everything in moderation.

So from Tuesday to Friday next week I'll be in London on a training course for work staying in the heart of the city and as I haven't been down for such a long time n probably won't be for another few years I'd love to pay a visit to Chinatown (providing I can persuade someone to come with me, lol!)

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant where you don't need to book in advance and also doesn't cost a fortune

Cheers me dears

Andie x

Replies

• Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't know of any restaurants, but I hope you have a good course and a great stay - and a great meal! :) Have a safe and wonderful trip xx
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Idont know if this is much help to you but one of my fav restaurants is in victoria, called dim t, its thai and lovely, they have a really nice thai green curry
  • gorgeousgunner
    Options
    Hey,

I don't think you need to book for most restaurants. I like going to Wong Kei's it's very cheap and renowned for its rude service (although I haven't really found this - perhaps I am just used to this!)

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2971.htm

There are also loads of other places around, best to just browse as you go past :)

Laura x
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I find that most of them you won't need to book and they vary in price but you can read a menu outside to check out the prices first. I would choose one that looks popular. As students we used to sometimes go to Wonkeys (or something that ended up being pronounced like that) but their speciality was speaking to customers like scum, so not really advised. Have a great time.

Just read the post above, that was where I was on about!!
  • andiechick
    Options
    Thanks for that Laura might have a look at that one. I don't know any of the other people on the course so I'm just hoping they'll nice enough for me to spend time with on an evening as well as thru the day, lol!

Not really a fan of Thai 'pretty ribbon' but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeh Jen looking forward to the trip but will miss the kids xx
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I really like 'Suki' - used to be called 'Ikkyusan' until a few weeks ago. They do a mix of Japanese, Dim Sum and Thai food but surprisingly despite the variety do really good food. Price really depends what you get - I think it's cheap because I always get ramen which is about £8.50 but I guess some of the mains that don't come with a side and some of the sushi is a bit pricey... Oh and if you are going with a group they have the type of tables where the floor is cut out and you sit on cushions on the 'floor' but still kind of like a chair because your legs are beneath the floor if you get what I mean so that's quite fun.

I also like 'Joy King Lau' - not much to look at from the outside but nice inside and very authentic (was recommended to my husband by Chinese friends). I've only ever been there for dim sum in the day but I hear the other chinese food in the evenings is good too. They have nice big tables too so good for groups.

I've not been anywhere else there yet. Enjoy!
  • dazlite
    dazlite Posts: 45
    Options
    I always eat at New World when I'm in Chinatown in London. That's were all the Chinese people eat (unlike some of the more touristy restaurants where they slap leaflets into your hand as you pass). Great service, great food, reasonable prices too!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/52/567525/restaurant/London/Chinatown/New-World-Soho
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My husband just left for London yesterday for work - he is doing training presentations, who do you work for? Small world if it is for PWW.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I don't think you need to book for most restaurants. I like going to Wong Kei's it's very cheap and renowned for its rude service (although I haven't really found this - perhaps I am just used to this!)

There are also loads of other places around, best to just browse as you go past :)

Laura x

I love Wong Kei! the rude service is part of the fun. And the foods great too. Another option in the same area is Gabbys, on Charing Cross Road. Great Middle Eastern food in a very basic cafe, cheap (well for London), healthy & delish.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    All of the restaurants are much of a muchness to be honest. Most of them have a menu displayed outside with their prices. I love China town and I'm going in Feb for my 40th. Have fun, enjoy and then get back on the diet when you return. As you say 'you only live once' and as long as your motivated when you get back you won't stress out about having a fun time away. xx
  • andiechick
    Options
    My husband just left for London yesterday for work - he is doing training presentations, who do you work for? Small world if it is for PWW.

I'm going down to British Council in Westminster for my training on a new IT system we need to install...I/we run IELTS (bascially shows your level of English in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) tests for people wanting to come in our go out of the country and I'm meeting up with about 6 other people from around the UK and one from Jamaica!
  • andiechick
    Options
    Hey,

Laura x

I love Wong Kei! the rude service is part of the fun. And the foods great too. Another option in the same area is Gabbys, on Charing Cross Road. Great Middle Eastern food in a very basic cafe, cheap (well for London), healthy & delish.

I'm liking the sound of Wong Kei, actually, sounds like it could be a laugh, lol!! Like I say, need to try and persuade my fellow 'visitors' to venture out of the hotel for the night, otherwise I might have to go on my own, I lurve chinese food, haha!! x
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    there's a great little place just off the Haymarket, in case you can get to a show - called Chinese kitchen, worth a visit.
  • andiechick
    Options
    I always eat at New World when I'm in Chinatown in London. That's were all the Chinese people eat (unlike some of the more touristy restaurants where they slap leaflets into your hand as you pass). Great service, great food, reasonable prices too!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/52/567525/restaurant/London/Chinatown/New-World-Soho

Thanks for that Daz, that's got some really good reviews
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A woman I used to work with liked a Taiwanese resteraunt called Leong's Legend in Cinatown. They have two resteraunts leong;s Legend I and Leong's Legend II a couple of streets away. For London they aren't expensive. It's the booze they hit you on so it's better to go for just water (also better for weightloss) and save money. Most courses are about £8 top whack for what would be the main. Starters and sides etc are about £2-£3

Their website id here. They have menus on their for you to check out, http://www.restaurantprivilege.com/leongs-legend/menus.html

I hope that someone you are on the course wants to go out for a meal with you so you aren't stuck in a hotel room all week. I would offer to meet up with you if you are stuck with nobody to go with but that would be inappropriate and your husband may just hunt me down and kill me. LOL

If you need help hunting down reduced tickets for shows then let me know and I'll see what I can do about pointing you in the right direction of websites. Lastminute.com is a good place to start.

I hope you have fun in London.. :smile:
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wong keis is funny funny funny and good food should be experienced :-)
  • andiechick
    Options
    Wong keis is looking like a pretty strong contender, I'm liking the sound of it. As a northerner I'm pretty thick skinned and have horribly sarcastic and warped sense of humour.

Lol @ Pete! Thanks for the offer about helping me sort tickets but sadly bit skint after Christmas so a show is not an option