Zumba

Options
Hi I do an hour of Zumba but it's not on the exercise list what would be a good comparison aerobic dancing or high impact aerobics?
Any suggestions would be great or if you can add zumba to the list that would be even better.

Replies

• HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello, I always logged it as aerobics-general, because I was afraid of overestimating, until I got a heart rate monitor. I am finding that I burn 630-830 per class, so high impact aerobics would be closer! You could also use zumbacalories.com. It's so hard to estimate because it can vary class to class depending on the instructor, playlist, how well you know the moves, how much enthusiasm you're giving, how crowded it is (if you have enough room to move around as much as possible), etc!
  • horsiegall
    Options
    i love zumba i just started last month and im addicted
  • horsiegall
    Options
    as far as how much you burn is gonna depend on u, because when i first started with a heart rate monitor i was burning 100 calories more than i am now , so my body got used to it.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I put it in as "aerobics - general" but as the other poster said, people in the class wearing HRMs report higher calorie burn than that.
  • seventyand
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Zumbacalories.com is very helpful.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have only taken Zumba a couple of times. Sweat each time.. but, I know that I am not burning anywhere close to 600 calories. I think like hbr930 said.. it really does depend on many factors. If you arent' familiar with the moves (which I certainly am not) you won't burn as many calories. Go online as she suggested-- it should be a good measurement. I always log "low"-- because the worst thing that could happen is I burn some extra calories that I won't compensate for with my food. Just helps with the weight loss!