Balsamic Vinegar ideas

Options
nathaliasmommy
nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
So i have a recipe that I've been wanting to try and it calls for Balsamic vinegar. So when I picked some up yesterday they all came in large bottle. So now I have this huge bottle of Balsamic vinegar minus 2 tablespoons. So i need some recipe ideas so that i can actually use it.
PS how do you store it? fridge or cupboard? i checked all over the lable and it didt say...

Replies

• MeletteB
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar is wonderful on salads. It is a great way to add flavor but not calories. We have even found some strawberry infused balsamic vinegar at a local specialty store. It is great on ice cream or fruit. Yes, ice cream. : ) It is rich, tart and tangy.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use it for salads and I use it to marinate chicken. Warning: the use with chicken is heavenly and addicting and you may want to cook it for a week straight. :)
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    make your own healthy salad dressing? basic balsamic vinaigrette would be 1/4 C. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp. PURE maple syrup, salt and pepper, and 1/4 C. olive oil. Whisk together all the ingredients except the oil, then slowly stream in the oil while whisking constantly. That will make 1/2 a cup of dressing and last for at least 3-4 salads. Should keep in the fridge for a week.

Roasted veggies with balsamic are also yummy.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe is Sauteed Greens with Balsamic Vinegar, Almonds and Golden Raisins.

Just chop up a large bunch of greens (Swiss Chard, Kale, Spinach...) and saute in a tiny bit of olive oil until they wilt down (or, I steam the greens in a bit of water to save calories). Once wilted add 1T of Balsamic Vinegar, 1/4 cup Golden Raisins and 2T Slivered Almonds (toasted). Add salt and pepper to taste - sometimes I add a packet of Splenda or Truvia.

The great thing is that you can really switch it up... Use whatever greens you have on hand, and instead of the golden raisins, I have used regular raisins, craisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit (chopped). You can also swap out the almonds for pine nuts or any other nuts (toasting them brings out the flavor...)

Excellent side dish with just about anything : )
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you can also make a balsamic vinegar reduction. just put a good amount in a saucepan, heat to boiling stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or so (you might have to play with the time before you get it just right) then let it cool. it will thicken to a syrup consistency and will be so sweet you'll be amazed. it's great as a dressing, a glaze or a dip for veggies! so delicious!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i put it on my salads with some herbs and olive oil...it's delicious. and a bit addicting. also i like to steam or roast veggies with some.
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I only eat my salads with balsamic and a tiny bit of oil (very usual to eat the salad like this in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy ....)

and you should store it in the cupboard (no fridge).
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not a problem for me, I love it so much I think I could sip it from a straw.
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can store the bottle in a cupboard; it doesn't need to be refrigerated. I use it in bruschetta and drizzled (with olive oil) over tomatoes, or over a tomato/ basil/ mozzarella salad. I also have cooked chicken and pork chops with it - you could do a search online for recipes. I had never used it until a few years ago, and it has become one of those things I keep on hand all the time. :smile:
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not a problem for me, I love it so much I think I could sip it from a straw.

I thought I was the only one who had considered this! :drinker:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I LOVE balsamic vinegar! I use it in my homemade salad dressing, in my chicken marinade, on potatoes, butter but squash, meatloaf, and many more

Salad Dressing: (for an 8 cup bowl) I tbls olive oil, 1 tbls balsamic vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper sorry I never measure).

Chicken marinade: rub chicken with garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder then mix equal amounts of B.V. and mustard, (1/2 cup each usually works for me) de-spine two stems of rosemary and add to mustard and BV; spoon over both sides of chicken. I marinate all day, but you can cook right away if you need to.

Potatoes: spray baking sheet with olive oil, cut potatoes in to cubes or rounds mix potatoes in a bowl with BV (again I don't measure) pepper and dried spices/ herbs (you can do what ever you like really sometimes I use hot pepper spices sometimes only pepper). Bake at 350 until lightly crispy ( 35 min?).
  • buxomlisa
    buxomlisa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Iove balsamic vinegar! I roast potatoes and veggies with it and a little olive oil and herbs. Also it Is to die for on chicken. I mix it with some chicken stock and slowly cook it on the stove with the chicken. It's a recipe on allrecipes.com
    It's great to cook mushrooms in too.
  • dan09554
    dan09554 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've used the balsamic reduction and drizzled it on baked halibut. simply awesome.
  • nathaliasmommy
    nathaliasmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there is lots of ways to use this stuff....well i better go take it outta the fridge haha
  • ValFerg67
    ValFerg67 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I store mine in the cupboard........I use it drizzled on salad with a bit of Olive oil. Its very yummy. Sometimes we put out some bread and a dish of oil/balsamic and use it as a bread dip appetizer. It would be great for marinating chicken too!
  • ksm5
    ksm5 Posts: 12
    Options
    I use it in salads. Not all Balsamic Vinegars are created equal though. If you are watching carbs, try to stay away from thicker ones. I usually buy low carb balsamic or red wine vinegar with infusions. You can get garlic and other berry flavors.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    make your own healthy salad dressing? basic balsamic vinaigrette would be 1/4 C. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp. PURE maple syrup, salt and pepper, and 1/4 C. olive oil. Whisk together all the ingredients except the oil, then slowly stream in the oil while whisking constantly. That will make 1/2 a cup of dressing and last for at least 3-4 salads. Should keep in the fridge for a week.
    Feel free to sub honey or agave for the maple syrup, it works well too. Also, if you have a bit of onion or garlic leftover, chop it finely and add to the dressing.
    you can also make a balsamic vinegar reduction. just put a good amount in a saucepan, heat to boiling stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or so (you might have to play with the time before you get it just right) then let it cool. it will thicken to a syrup consistency and will be so sweet you'll be amazed. it's great as a dressing, a glaze or a dip for veggies! so delicious!
    Love this on fish or chicken too!
    i put it on my salads with some herbs and olive oil...it's delicious. and a bit addicting. also i like to steam or roast veggies with some.

+1

Other tips, use it for a bread dip, 1 part olive oil, 1.5 parts balsamic.

Add a few tablespoons to your tomato sauce while cooking for both sweetness and richness.

Experiment with marinades: lemon juice, garlic, balsamic and a bit of olive oil is great for chicken or beef. I am sure veggies will work great too.

I also like to add it too beans! Bean soup or cooked lentils or black beans.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I use it in salads. Not all Balsamic Vinegars are created equal though. If you are watching carbs, try to stay away from thicker ones. I usually buy low carb balsamic or red wine vinegar with infusions. You can get garlic and other berry flavors.

The thicker ones have been aged. They almost taste like syrup, and you only need a bit since they are so flavorful.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kelra01
    Kelra01 Posts: 23
    Options
    Warning: the use with chicken is heavenly and addicting and you may want to cook it for a week straight. :)

Oh I so know this one, my boyfriend was so sick of chicken LOL