Secret Eaters??

Options
Just wondering if there were any others like me that are secret eaters?? Sometimes I think that I have an overeating disorder because of how much I eat and how I eat. I could finish an entire meal and no matter how big it is I will eat something else not even 2 seconds later. I also have a tendency to non-stop eat if I am home by myself. I have tried drinking full glasses of water before I eat which doesn't really help. I have tried keeping busy too. If it is nice out I usually try to leave my house, but with the winter I am kind of stuck. PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• ittmax
    ittmax Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya, my wife leaves the room and there I was chomping down a tortilla with peanut butter in it X2 400 calories. I don't clam to have a solution but what I try to do is keep protein powder around and some frozen fruits blend it all up add sweetener such as splenda etc.. and chase it with gum. I have found do this keeps the better foods in me and the gum keeps my mouth occupied.
  • kathyd51
    Options
    To some extent, I have the same problem...in the evening I will often seek out a "snack", and as that snack didn't satisfy me, I seek out something else. I realize that for me, I'm an emotional eater. Not sure how to stop that. When I'm dieting I can drink water rather than snack, but as soon as I quit dieting, I fall back into my old habits. It's so frustrating! I share your pain!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I'm not any more, but my fiance still is.

I watch him eat a huge meal, and then later have a 'snack' that's just as big a meal again. It amazes me that I used to be the same and able to do that, but I'm grateful it isn't the case any more.

I'm not ashamed to say that I used to wolf down a 9in pizza for lunch, have a huge roast dinner in the evening and then go to the shops for a couple of chocolate bars because one wasn't enough. Looking back, that doesn't even feel like it was me. I just can't understand how a whole chocolate bar didn't feel like enough - and I picked out the big ones, too!
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to get up in the wee hours of the morning and eat. Most of the time, the amount of food that I ate was quite a bit! I have stopped doing that now however. I figured out that a lot of the was tied in with depression and I was stuffing my feelings. It was only after I started keeping my thoughts in a journal and also expressing my thoughts did I quit eating like this. Even though I have only been on MFP for almost a month now, keeping what I eat in a food diary has helped me. Now when I eat more than I should, I see it isn't as bad as it previously was. To be sure, those around me who are used to me being quiet and docile aren't :flowerforyou: used to the new me, the one that speaks up!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try to lower the carbs you eat to 30 or less per meal. Add more veggies and a salad. Sometimes I save my salad for after dinner so if I'm still hungry I'll eat that, no croutons. It helped with the after meal cravings.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I'm not any more, but my fiance still is.

I watch him eat a huge meal, and then later have a 'snack' that's just as big a meal again. It amazes me that I used to be the same and able to do that, but I'm grateful it isn't the case any more.

I'm not ashamed to say that I used to wolf down a 9in pizza for lunch, have a huge roast dinner in the evening and then go to the shops for a couple of chocolate bars because one wasn't enough. Looking back, that doesn't even feel like it was me. I just can't understand how a whole chocolate bar didn't feel like enough - and I picked out the big ones, too!

Right there with you on the chocolate bars! I used to eat a jumbo sized bag of m and ms and some chips, and thought nothing of it. I find having switched to the super dark chocolate that Im satisfsied with a couple of squares, i don't get the same urge to do that, though I probably still could if i got started so I don't keep it around.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there were any others like me that are secret eaters?? Sometimes I think that I have an overeating disorder because of how much I eat and how I eat. I could finish an entire meal and no matter how big it is I will eat something else not even 2 seconds later. I also have a tendency to non-stop eat if I am home by myself. I have tried drinking full glasses of water before I eat which doesn't really help. I have tried keeping busy too. If it is nice out I usually try to leave my house, but with the winter I am kind of stuck. PLEASE HELP!!

When I still lived at home, I had to buy my own lunch treats etc, and I had to keep them in my room, as per mom, so that the other younger kids didn't eat them all.....this lead to A LOT of mindless junk food eating and middle of the night eating for me, a very bad habit,it got to the point that id wake up at the same time every night for a cookie or whatever. Not going to lie, if there is something really good in the house...leftover birthday cake, chocolate, chips.....I do still on occasion wake up in the night and eat some, but thankfully my bf will call me on it in the morning, so that helps.
  • not a great solution but when I craved and over ate (I was like a hoover when it came to food haha) and to stop that, I brushed my teeth when ever I felt hungry and ice cubes to suck/lick (sounds wrong I know lol) but when hungry it worked for me personally
  • jessiesheik
    Options
    I read an article that said if you don't put nourishing food in your body it will make you want to eat more till it gets the right food it needs ie veg fruit etc. so that's why you should eat the healthy stuff first and it will trigger the FULL feeling quicker and then you won't feel like eating as much carbs etc, this really works for me so hopefully it will help you! :)
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I totally relate. I sometimes will tell my husband I'm not tired so I can 'sneak' food after he's gone to bed. Not that he would ever say anything but I'm so embarrassed about how much I can eat. I can eat a big dinner, feel stuffed, and still eat more food. I can eat so much it makes my stomach hurt.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had/ have this same problem till I found the book, Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Riley, which is full of coping strategies for how to deal with compulsive eating. This book really did change my life, and has so much in it which I can't précis into a short reply.
  • ashlyrose14
    ashlyrose14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had/ have this same problem till I found the book, Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Riley, which is full of coping strategies for how to deal with compulsive eating. This book really did change my life, and has so much in it which I can't précis into a short reply.

Thanks I will have to look for that one!!
  • ashlyrose14
    Options
    Right there with ya, my wife leaves the room and there I was chomping down a tortilla with peanut butter in it X2 400 calories. I don't clam to have a solution but what I try to do is keep protein powder around and some frozen fruits blend it all up add sweetener such as splenda etc.. and chase it with gum. I have found do this keeps the better foods in me and the gum keeps my mouth occupied.

I would love to chew gum. I use to all the time which helped, until I realized I have TMJ. so the gum chewing is over!!! Thanks for the advice though!!!!
  • ashlyrose14
    Options
    I read an article that said if you don't put nourishing food in your body it will make you want to eat more till it gets the right food it needs ie veg fruit etc. so that's why you should eat the healthy stuff first and it will trigger the FULL feeling quicker and then you won't feel like eating as much carbs etc, this really works for me so hopefully it will help you! :)

I know I don't eat enough veggies I am working on it. Although earlier I ate great with a nourishing breakfast and lunch. I think I am more in a mind issue at this point. Thank you for the advice though!!!!:happy:
  • ashlyrose14
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that does this. It can be very frustrating!!! Since I started using this website about 2 weeks ago I have been able to control it very well it was just a low point last night. I have been under CRAZY amount of internal stress for a while now wanting to look and feel my best. I think it is something that I need to start talking to someone about. THANK YOU so much everyone that has responded!!! Another reason why I like this site sooo much :happy:
  • yolifoli
    yolifoli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that when I secretly eat Im just bored or dehyrated. I can eat a sensible meal and still look for more after Im done. Its crazy and not looking good for my waist line.