IF YOU LIKE FRENCH FRIES, YOU'LL PROBABLY LIKE THESE

Options
csnealey
csnealey Posts: 251 Member
I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE YET, BUT THOUGHT ALL OF THE FRENCH FRY LOVERS MIGHT ENJOY THIS HEALTHIER VERSION OF THEM.

Hand-Cut Fries

You save: 165 calories, 18 g fat, 3 g saturated fat

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
2 medium baking potatoes (approximately 8 ounces each)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Place a large pot of water over high heat. Add one teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a rapid boil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Scrub the potatoes well to remove any dirt. First cut the faces off one potato to create a flat surface on 4 sides. Some skin will remain on the sides and the ends. (Do not peel the skin from the potato). Discard the faces and cut the remaining potato into 1/3-inch thick sticks. Repeat with second potato.

Add the sticks to the pot and boil them for 3 minutes (not longer or they will break) then drain them. Let them cool for 5 minutes.

Transfer the par-boiled fries to a medium bowl. Add the olive oil and salt and, using your hands, toss them until they are coated. Then place them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer so they do not touch. Put the sheet in the oven and bake them for 12 minutes, flip them, and cook them an addition 12-16 minutes or until they are crisp on the outsides and lightly browned. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Each serving has: 166 calories, 3 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, trace saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 330 mg sodium

Traditional Hand-Cut Fries have: 331 calories, 3g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 22 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 686 mg sodium

Devin Says:
If you like softer fries, you can skip the boiling stage. Simply cut the potatoes into sticks, toss them and bake them. Boiling releases water from the potato, which yields crisper fries.

Replies

• csnealey
    Options
    I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE YET, BUT THOUGHT ALL OF THE FRENCH FRY LOVERS MIGHT ENJOY THIS HEALTHIER VERSION OF THEM.

Hand-Cut Fries

You save: 165 calories, 18 g fat, 3 g saturated fat

Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    2 medium baking potatoes (approximately 8 ounces each)
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Place a large pot of water over high heat. Add one teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a rapid boil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Scrub the potatoes well to remove any dirt. First cut the faces off one potato to create a flat surface on 4 sides. Some skin will remain on the sides and the ends. (Do not peel the skin from the potato). Discard the faces and cut the remaining potato into 1/3-inch thick sticks. Repeat with second potato.

Add the sticks to the pot and boil them for 3 minutes (not longer or they will break) then drain them. Let them cool for 5 minutes.

Transfer the par-boiled fries to a medium bowl. Add the olive oil and salt and, using your hands, toss them until they are coated. Then place them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer so they do not touch. Put the sheet in the oven and bake them for 12 minutes, flip them, and cook them an addition 12-16 minutes or until they are crisp on the outsides and lightly browned. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Each serving has: 166 calories, 3 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, trace saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 330 mg sodium

Traditional Hand-Cut Fries have: 331 calories, 3g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 22 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 686 mg sodium

Devin Says:
    If you like softer fries, you can skip the boiling stage. Simply cut the potatoes into sticks, toss them and bake them. Boiling releases water from the potato, which yields crisper fries.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Yum
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    i do this when I'm having a major french fry craving....add a little red pepper for spice, or a little thyme and rosemary, or a little garlic....reallt helps with that starch/potato french fry craving without totally throwing off your week.
  • caddac1
    caddac1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are my saviour! I started two weeks ago and miss fries - they are my weakness!
    Under food log what have you logged this as?
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Great recipe! I can't wait to try it out. I hate how soft and flimsy oven baked fries are and it sounds like the boiling stage will take care of that. Thanks :smile:
  • sweetassurance
    Options
    Sounds good. Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Thank you for this. I cut up potatoes into thick wedges and oil them and bake them but sometimes i want crispier fries so Im going to try the boiling.

Thanks again.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Jeez every time I think of something I end of finding it here.

Big Thanks!!!
  • csnealey
    Options
    caddac1

Joined Jan 2009

Fri 03/06/09 02:10 PMYou are my saviour! I started two weeks ago and miss fries - they are my weakness!
    Under food log what have you logged this as?

I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO LOG THIS YET, BUT WILL TRY TO LOG IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND WILL USE THE TITLE "HEALTHIER VERSION OF FRENCH FRIES".:smile:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    yum I bet I could get my kids to eat some too They haven't been fond of some of my creations:laugh:
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you can use sweet potatoes?I don,t care for white potatoes.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Awww...my grandma totally used to make these for us when we were little kids. Yum Yum!!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of boiling the potato sticks to end up with crispy fries, but I will definitely try it. Normally, I let my potatoes soak in cold water with sugar and salt, then dry them off to bake.

Thanks!
  • sassyandsexy1
    Options
    Sounds good,, I have also made home made tortilla chips: cut tortillas into triangle shapes,, coat them with olive oil, salt, spices, and bake for about 20 mins or until they are crunchy and then put them with salsa... not sure how many calories but I know they are less than the basket of chips at Chilis or On the Borders or any Mexican restaurant for that matter
  • glancees
    glancees Posts: 13
    Options
    :tongue:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I make oven "fries" all the time, but I have never par boiled them first....I will have to try that next time to see if they really turn out crispier.....Thanks for the tip