A pound is a pound the world around

Options
2»

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    confetti.gif
    This is the 10,000,000 thread on this subject. You just won one years free membership of MFP. :laugh:

LOL!! :drinker:
  • therebeccajones
    Options
    I think you are all making valid points - it is about mass not weight. And well done to all of you for having the scientific understanding of an 8 year-old. However, the tone and rudeness I have seen in this thread towards someone wanting to engage with a group of people that are supposed to support and help each other is disgusting.

Less of the LOLs in someones face - trust me, it's not funny.

Remember when you were the fat kid being bullied. Now you are bullying.

END OF.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think I've figured out my definitive answer to the "a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead" statement...

If you had a feather sculpted out of lead in one hand and a feather in the other, which would weigh more?
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs the very same as a pound of fat. A pound of any thing is still a pound. A pound of feathers is a pound, just like a pound of gold is a pound. Soooooo why do you hear people saying all the time that they know that muscle weights more than fat?
    Because muscle weighs more than fat....BY VOLUME!

Say it: BY VOLUME!

In other words, a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.

This is why you can be gaining weight, thinking you are digressing when in fact you are improving.
    Everybody should be tracking body fat as well as weight. You can do so here:

Body Fat
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Right on.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Its not that a pound of muscle is a different weight to a pound of fat..
    Its that in a pile of a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, the muscle pile would be smaller...

Baisically a pound of muslce is a different size or volume or whatever, than a pound of fat is..
    So if you had like 5cubic metres of muscle and 5 cubic metres of fat, the muscle would weigh more..
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    And don't forget there are newbies always, always starting up & may have the same question! My mom always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". :love:
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Physics 101: volume, density, mass.
    Oy oy oy...
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Density. Folks don't understand it so they substitute "pound". Muscle tissue is more dense than fat, and therefore the same volume of tissue will weigh more.