Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• Gr33nstars
    Options
    You'll get there! I still have a long way to go on my fitness journey but I do 45-60 mins on a high setting 3 days a week - but it took me a while to build that up.

What helped me was:

- listening to good music with 60-70 bpm and aiming to move in time to it
    -alternating forwards motion with some backwards motion (if it means you can keep going for longer overall then that's a good thing although I think forward motion works you slightly harder)
    - watching documentaries about weightloss while exercising to keep motivation high!
    - sipping water (but not too much or the 'heavy belly' strikes)
    - covering the xtrainer display so you don't count the minutes down (I find time moves quicker if you don't watch the clock)
    - planning a pampering treat for afterwards such as a body scrub or face pack

You've taken the hardest step of getting started already so keep at it and you'll see improvement very soon :-)
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I started on the elliptical I could only manage 2-3 minutes. Perfectly normal-you'll get there...don't give up!
  • AnnaRocks79
    AnnaRocks79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl,

Its always a good question, great thinking for asking for feedback. I started back going to the gym a little over 3 weeks now, I started on the elliptical speed 1..for 5 min. I could barely do it but as the days pass I increased it....after the full 3 weeks I'm up to 60 min and speed 10. You have to keep at it, stretch first..sometimes the body is tight and twisted from a long day at work...people sometimes don't realise how much stretching is needed to get your body warmed up before you workout. I learned the hard way, I used to just jump on the Ellitical and go home and feel tired, burnt out and very sore..but now that my friend joined my gym she is a fitness guru and we both warm up doing 15min of cardio kick boxing and then get on the Elliptical do 45-60min and then do 20 min run on the Tredmil. I found the warm up/stretching before getting on any machine makes me sweat more and have a better workout.
    Hope that helps!

Anna
  • shar1969
    shar1969 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really glad i saw this post i was so upset that i couldn't stay on the elliptical that long this weekend barely even 2 min and i was dying and that was stoping and taking a breath. This morning I am up to 6 min but had to take a breather. But I will continue to do it several times a day to build up.
  • tloganstlmo
    Options
    Thank goodness someone else could only do a few minutes. I was starting to think I was a list cause.
  • chrrose
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this post! I got an elliptical to be able to work out at home, and after 10 minutes my thighs burn so badly I could barely continue! I guess I'll just bump up the resistance when I don't feel this way anymore. =)
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It does take a little while to get used to, but when you do, there are some good workouts you can find on the internet that make it a little more challenging and and not as boring.