working out with an eight year old

Options
Hello,
I am trying to lose weight, and my eight year old needs to lose weight also. I am hoping the two of us could go on walks together -- aiming for 4 days per week (walking maybe 30-45 minutes per workout).....

If I am going at a slower pace (probably 2.5 ish)....to keep pace with my 8 year old, do u think i will still see results? I know you are not fortune tellers, I am just wondering if this would qualify for weight loss activity or not.

I know that there is an activity calculator -- I am just wondering if anyone had this type of experience in the past.

Replies

• indigohope
    indigohope Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am trying to lose weight, and my eight year old needs to lose weight also. I am hoping the two of us could go on walks together -- aiming for 4 days per week (walking maybe 30-45 minutes per workout).....

If I am going at a slower pace (probably 2.5 ish)....to keep pace with my 8 year old, do u think i will still see results? I know you are not fortune tellers, I am just wondering if this would qualify for weight loss activity or not.

I know that there is an activity calculator -- I am just wondering if anyone had this type of experience in the past.

• MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Taking that first big step is hard, but you're awesome for trying to make your family healthy, too!!! As long as you're staying within your calorie limits per day, I don't see why you wouldn't lose weight, but if you wanted to do a little more strenuous activity(like taking a 20 minute, brisk walk) on your own, it would help too. Hope everything works out for you-keep us posted on your progress!!!:bigsmile:
  • meemee1030
    Options
    Good for you! :happy: Any activity is better than no activity! Maybe you could throw in an exercise dvd to boost your level.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Do you have the Wii? there are some great games you can get to keep up to both of your fitness levels. Dance, dance revolution is another one, i'm an experienced gym rat, and this gets my heart a pumping and it's a blast, kids are having so much fun they don't even know they're exercising, I bought the xbox 360 version, mat and game for like 29.bucks, and that's canadian dollars, wayyy cheaper for those living in the US! :laugh:
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Maybe while you are walking at a slower pace with your child, you could wear ankle weights or use light hand weights to help make you work a little harder while going at the slower pace.

Good luck!! and Good for you to bring this change into your family and not just for yourself!! That is so awesome!!!
  • indigohope
    Options
    excellent ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them so much.

Now I am just nervous about how to explain to her that we are now going to take walks (she is self-conscious and knows she has a little extra weight)....I would never want to hurt her feelings. I am hoping that in the afternoons after school we can just walk to see how far we can get (a game)....or -- maybe we can "explore" the neighborhoods, etc. or -- maybe we can chart mileage....I have no clue....

or maybe I can just say that mommy needs to walk for her exercise -- maybe she woudl like to come along? ---- as you know, it is not easy for anyone with extra weight -- and I would hate for her to think that I think she needs more exercise.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR IDEAS!!! They are excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    My eight year old dd goes for me all the time, but she rides her bike. I figure it is exercise for her, exercise for me, (trying keeping up with her) and I get my work-out in. If we go for walks, then I don't count that as my exercise! :smile:

I think it is wonderful that you are setting an example for her. :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add that my dd doesn't think riding her bike is exercise at all, but great fun!
  • indigohope
    Options
    I would love to let her ride her bike (probably will during this new exercise routine)....however, we have tons of hills -- and they are steep. (makes for a great workout though! LOL)......

maybe she can use her scooter or something....I just don't want to hurt her feelings when we start this great routine. she does get upset about her tummy being larger....i will just tell her she is my fitness buddy, (or myfitnesspal) LOL and i would love to bring her along, etc. :)

she is sensitive, and i really don't want to hurt her....that is all :)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do if you're walking at a slower pace is diferent steps...
    Do lunges, walk sideways (kind of like a sideways football shuffle), if your daughter can direct you, you can even walk backwards. Skip for a bit. It's all a little something to kick up a slow walk. I would do stuff like that when walking the dog. I even got so far as to do some pushups when the dog was doing her business (I was NOT facing the dog :laugh: )
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    then you are doing the best possible thing, which is to lead by example.

She will see exercising with Mom as fun time, and what could be better? Long lasting impression of exercise as positive and fun! Wish someone gave me that gift when I was eight :flowerforyou:
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lucky... My kids think that when we go for walks, it's mommy/daughter time. They never think of it as "exercise", they always think that it's fun to get out of the house and spend some time with me. It also gives us a chance to just talk about anything, and not have the craziness of our house interfering with our conversation. I'd just invite her to go along, and tell her that you would really love to have her as company. Tell her that she makes the time go by fast, and you want to hang out with her.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    a slow pace is better than no pace! Good for you for taking charge of your health and being a good parent by getting her active too!

:flowerforyou:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lucky... My kids think that when we go for walks, it's mommy/daughter time. They never think of it as "exercise", they always think that it's fun to get out of the house and spend some time with me. It also gives us a chance to just talk about anything, and not have the craziness of our house interfering with our conversation. I'd just invite her to go along, and tell her that you would really love to have her as company. Tell her that she makes the time go by fast, and you want to hang out with her.

I think this is a great idea - making it a bonding experience and downplaying the practical side... she can be your 'fitness coach' :smile:
  • indigohope
    Options
    just a quick THANK YOU.

i love all of your input, and love the positive motivation :)

Spring is almost here.....and we are ready to get fit :)
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As someone already asked do you have a wii? I have an 8 year old son, he doesnt need to loose weight, but he loves to play the games on the wii with me because its not seen as exercise! a great one is Outdoor Adventure. it has a mat like Dance Dance Revolution, but has games such as jumprope, and hurdles, its very challenging, but fun! and we can both stand on the mat at the same time and race each other, we love it! plus it gives us something to do together!
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    someone suggested having her be your fitness buddy, i think thats a great idea. sit her down and tell her you want to excersice and lose some weight, and tell her you really really need her help. maybe take a notebook and make a "plan" (excersice schedule, meal plan etc) you could even include her when you go grocery shoping. have her help pick some healthy alternatives, maybe even have her help cook. if she is taking the time to help pick and prepare the food, she will be more likely to eat it. but keep stressing that its YOU needing help so it doesn't make her feel self-conscious (sp?). if you have other kids, you can include them as well and make it a family effort.