Grits vs. Oatmeal?

Options
auntdeedee87
auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
Let me start off with saying that I love grits! They're my go-to breakfast food... But I love them with butter, tons of cheese, and bacon. I can't seem to find an accurate portrayal of the nutrition info of grits with all the good stuff added, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out?

I'm willing to make changes-- like cutting way back on the butter and forgoing the cheese and bacon.

But I was wondering-- This southern lady has never tried oatmeal.

Is it similar? I have heard that it's very healthy for you, but I know that it is nearly ALWAYS served sweet, with cinnamon or such. I don't want that at all. Is it possible to add a little butter and a touch of some cheese to oatmeal, or would that be gross?

Sorry for the rambling, but anyone that has any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Go intothe recipe function in this site and put in all of your ingredients to the grits and see what u come up with then modify it to work with your caloric intake for the day ie....lower fat, leaner bacon bits, low cal cheese , i cant believe its not butter! Dont kill your love of grits modify your ingredients
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    And u may need to try cream of wheat for savory as oatmeal is sweet based and cream if wheat is versatile!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    There are lots of recipes for savory oatmeal. I've never tried it that way, but lots of people do things like that with it. Just do a search for "savory oatmeal recipe" and you'll find lots of options. :)