Kinect and Wii Workout Game Help

Options
Anyone have exercise programs for Wii or Kinect? I've been debating on buying one for when I can't make it to the gym. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have The Biggest Loser and the original Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for Kinect. I recommend both - Your Shape if you like to do your exercise standing up, or have a set style to what you're doing, and TBL if you like to mix it up and spend a fair bit of time lying on the floor (planking, leg exercises etc)
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I got the Xbox Your shape evolution 2012 and Zumba not spending much time with Zumba although it was quite fun. Just finished off a 7 min Bootcamp on the YSE2012 and I am knackered - I definitely need to learn how to do push ups though

I chose the Xbox because you don't have any controller and can't cheat on that
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Get the Your Shape Evolved 2012. I even have a group here for those of us doing it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1025-your-shape-evolved

It's on Kinect. I have been doing at-home exergaming from the very first one that came out - Your Self Fitness, years ago.

A year ago we bought EA Sports Active 2 - which WAS the best exergame out there till Your Shape Evolved 2012 came around. One thing that EASA2 has that YSE does not - a split screen for 2 people to work out together.

Downside of EASA2 - it tells YOU what you will be working on and develops programs for you and routines.

With YSE - you take "classes" you want to take. There's "Run The World" for instance, which is really fun, "Stomp It" Abs, Cardio, Glutes, Legs, etc,, several different types of dance. I did not think I'd like the dance routines, but I DO. The yoga in YSE is kind of lame but almost everything else is amazing. I would also definitely recommend buying the extra add ons (2 of them just came out) for it as well.

I also have the Wii. I liked the first version of their Tennis game but other than that it's just ok, the YSE is the best one out there right now.

I would also recommend buying a HRM to do with the YSE. I have the Epulse2, which is a company that worked with EASA2. I love my HRM.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have both the Wii and Kinect. I like the Kinect a whole lot better. It gets your whole body into it. I have TBL and kinect sports. They both can kick your butt.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE WiiFit. It graphs out my weight loss and BMI for me, and lets me set and track goals. I also like the yoga and boxing workouts a lot. Besides that, I also have Just Dance 3, which really gets me sweating--it's great for arm workouts.
  • suz_ers
    suz_ers Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Get the Your Shape Evolved 2012. I even have a group here for those of us doing it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1025-your-shape-evolved

It's on Kinect. I have been doing at-home exergaming from the very first one that came out - Your Self Fitness, years ago.

A year ago we bought EA Sports Active 2 - which WAS the best exergame out there till Your Shape Evolved 2012 came around. One thing that EASA2 has that YSE does not - a split screen for 2 people to work out together.

Downside of EASA2 - it tells YOU what you will be working on and develops programs for you and routines.

With YSE - you take "classes" you want to take. There's "Run The World" for instance, which is really fun, "Stomp It" Abs, Cardio, Glutes, Legs, etc,, several different types of dance. I did not think I'd like the dance routines, but I DO. The yoga in YSE is kind of lame but almost everything else is amazing. I would also definitely recommend buying the extra add ons (2 of them just came out) for it as well.

I also have the Wii. I liked the first version of their Tennis game but other than that it's just ok, the YSE is the best one out there right now.

I would also recommend buying a HRM to do with the YSE. I have the Epulse2, which is a company that worked with EASA2. I love my HRM.

I think I'll get YSE, it sounds like something I would stick to lol. I like that it has all the different options as well. Thanks, this was really helpful :)
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have Kinect with Your Shape original & the first Dance Central. Your Shape gets the job done like an exercise class, but honestly I find it kind of boring. Dance Central on the other hand is a blast. I love dancing & the music is great. It does have a work-out mode but a lot of time is spent "swiping" at the menu. From what I read Dance Central 2 work-out mode is more user friendly.

I used to have the Wii, I didn't like it at all. Having the controller in your hand all the time is awkward.
  • soodles
    soodles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just Dance is great because it's fun and it has different settings. You can set yourself targets in 'Sweat' or you can literally just dance while trying to beat your orignial score and others. I'm finding it really helpful with my diet.
  • cassiejmiller
    cassiejmiller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wii just dance2, dance workout and wii fit are all awesome!
  • suz_ers
    suz_ers Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Kinect with Your Shape original & the first Dance Central. Your Shape gets the job done like an exercise class, but honestly I find it kind of boring. Dance Central on the other hand is a blast. I love dancing & the music is great. It does have a work-out mode but a lot of time is spent "swiping" at the menu. From what I read Dance Central 2 work-out mode is more user friendly.

I used to have the Wii, I didn't like it at all. Having the controller in your hand all the time is awkward.

My daughter actually has Dance Central, but I've never really looked into it lol. Thanks! I'll check it out!
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just Dance 3! I actually bought my kinect just so I could play these games. I can play for an hour and burn around 400 calories and not even think about it.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii - The biggest loser - kicks your butt every time, Your Shape with Jenny Mccarthy - kicks your but -
    Just dance 2 & 3 - super fun, work up a sweat..fun with the family to do - and Wii Zumba , Im just learning this one..but wow - you work up a sweat! and Wii fit plus.
    They're all great! -
  • Gshields42
    Options
    Here is something I posted in another forum the other day:

As to Kinect games, the two big names are Your Shape: Fitness Evolved and Biggest Loser. I got both and have not had a chance to do much more than tinker with either. From what I read (which I agree on from what I've seen), YS is a lot more flexible with the ability to concentrate on areas a lot more effectively, while BL offers a more structured program.

Essentially YS allows you a vast array of different classes/programs to play with (yoga, cardio boxing, traditional programs for each muscle groups, etc). There are perhaps 20-25 different things you can into, which is great. There are high impact and low impact sorts of things.

BL is structured pretty much like you see on the TV show. You go into it and go through an assesment program. After that, it decides where you should concentrate and tailors the program for you. You don't get as much flexibility, which can be problematic if you are extremely sore/hurting in one area that it wants to throw at you. I also have a problem with this as I have downstairs neighbors, and so when it wants me to do jumping excercises I have to skip through it or aggravate them.

All in all, I think I like the YS myself. If I didn't have downstairs neighbors it would be a lot more of a tossup, but the lack of flexibility causes me problems.

There is also a Zumba Fitness game, but I read a spotty review about it when googling so I passed on it. I've also read a couple of people mention the Just Dance game as great as well. A lot of fun, so they say, and a surprisingly effective workout doing it.

I also picked up Kinect Sports Season 2, which I'm having fun with as well. Isn't as effective a workout, but it's fun and keeps you moving. I'm having to avoid the football and baseball games, though, since they require running in place (again, downstairs neighbors, damn them!). The other day I overdid it on the tennis, and my right arm was painfully sore the next day. I was surprised, because I've never had it get that sore outside of a major upper body effort at the gym; the fact that it was that sore meant I got a lot better a workout with it than I had suspected.

The main thing is that Kinect keeps you out of your seat (the camera has a hard time dealing with seperating you from the couch/chair) and moving. Constant activity, low grade or not, is great.

I will add that I spent about an hour yesterday with YS and did a big workout. It definitely kicked my butt, even more than I expected.