*LADIES* How to control PMS hunger

Options
I felt it coming on and here it is! Any chance your body burns more just living when you are on your period. I know the answer is probably no but I ask but I stay hungry unless I eat about 1 1/2 to 2 times what I am supposed when I am on my period. I did use yesterday as my cheat day and only went over by 375 but what do I do or the next few days. I know to eercise for cramps but what about cravings? It doesn't help that I crave southern comfort food. I will still try to eat healthier but do I go hungry or do i go over my daily limit?

Replies

• celerieaz
    celerieaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't beat yourself up during your period. One or two "cheat" meals won't blow your diet. You would have to over eat by much more than you are capable of to put on a pound of fat from one or two such meals.

That being said, if you are feeling hungry more often, try to eat really filling foods so that you stay fuller longer. Try things like oatmeal, nuts (almonds are my favorite), chicken, etc. Things high in protein will usually keep you satiated longer than things like simple carbs.

If you still are craving, try eating things high in water content like celery, watermelon, etc. You will be able to eat a lot of these things because they are so low in calories, but being so high in water content they will make you feel very full. Also, just drinking a lot of water is great. It will help keep away some of the bloating associated with periods and will also make you feel full.

If you don't want to be chugging water all day, try teas. You can even carbonate them so that they mimic soda, if you are having sweet cravings.

And lastly, if you are craving a certain kind of food, but you don't want to actually indulge (and it's okay to indulge a little!) try making a suitable alternative. You said you want southern comfort food? Try a cheesy cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes. Or try some hand breaded and baked chicken breast tenders. When I'm craving some oily I turn to salmon. When pan fried (with no oil) it gets nice and crispy and salty. It's delicious.
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    I wouldn't beat yourself up during your period. One or two "cheat" meals won't blow your diet. You would have to over eat by much more than you are capable of to put on a pound of fat from one or two such meals.

That being said, if you are feeling hungry more often, try to eat really filling foods so that you stay fuller longer. Try things like oatmeal, nuts (almonds are my favorite), chicken, etc. Things high in protein will usually keep you satiated longer than things like simple carbs.

If you still are craving, try eating things high in water content like celery, watermelon, etc. You will be able to eat a lot of these things because they are so low in calories, but being so high in water content they will make you feel very full. Also, just drinking a lot of water is great. It will help keep away some of the bloating associated with periods and will also make you feel full.

If you don't want to be chugging water all day, try teas. You can even carbonate them so that they mimic soda, if you are having sweet cravings.

And lastly, if you are craving a certain kind of food, but you don't want to actually indulge (and it's okay to indulge a little!) try making a suitable alternative. You said you want southern comfort food? Try a cheesy cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes. Or try some hand breaded and baked chicken breast tenders. When I'm craving some oily I turn to salmon. When pan fried (with no oil) it gets nice and crispy and salty. It's delicious.

Thank you for advice!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will control your PMS hunger and fresh green veggies.
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    Bump
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one.
  • rachelprogress
    rachelprogress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to get all kinds of cravings with PMS. Five weeks ago, I started a 6 days a week workout plan (6x cardio, 3x weights), and I seriously saw a huge drop in my cravings this cycle. I had a salty/sweet craving all day long the day before my period started, and that was it. The rest of the time I managed to keep things in check, and gave myself a little leeway to go over my calories (no more than by 10% or so) without stressing. I found that the most satisfying things were red meat (to keep iron levels up), healthy fats, and a little extra sugar here or there. And, when my weekly weigh in came after my cycle, I had lost 2lbs. I only have 20 to lose (half way through, down 13), so 2lbs gone in a week is huge for me! I have to say definitely that increasing my exercise and being consistent definitely has drastically reduced my cravings. Good luck!