Artificial sweeteners

Options
I was told by friend (who is also a physician) that aspartame is a carcinogen and to avoid it at all costs. I get a magazine called CURE which is for people with cancer. They ran an article on artificial sweeteners this issue that I would like to share:

http://curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/1803

two key points:
"However, research continues. A 2007 study conducted on rodents points to possible links between aspartame and cancer, including lymphomas and leukemias. Other studies support aspartame’s safety."

That is probably the study my friend was talking to me about.

"Two servings of non-nutritive sweeteners daily is the recommended limit, about two cans of diet soda or two cups of diet yogurt, Stokes says. Also when faced with losing weight, people should look beyond sugar intake. “We want consumers to have a total-diet approach, meaning we want to see some real whole foods in their diets,” he says."

So it seems within the medical research community that is conflicting information.

I guess make your own decision.

Replies

• TalyQ
    TalyQ Posts: 6
    Options
    I am no physician and have no "scientific evidence", but personally I could never stand that stuff and can taste it even in small quantities. Year ago, when I read on the label that pregnant women and small children shouldn't consume it, I decided it was not safe to anybody. I'd rather drink only water (and an occasional real sweetened drink) than that stuff. But that is just my personal opinion :)
  • lynnstoll
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, too. When I do use artificial, I use splenda. Anything else makes my toes hurt. My friend told me she read somewhere that that is a side effect for diabetics, which I am.