Options
2»

Replies

• Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I love spinach!

I bought some today, actually -

I'd never thought of juicing it, what an interesting idea! Dave, do you find the taste fairly distinct, or does it blend well with fruits?

I like making salads with it - my favorite is spinach, strawberries, mushrooms, and toasted almonds with a tiny bit of poppyseed dressing. Nom nom nom.. I also make wraps with it - I take a tortilla, put 'sweet & spicy' tuna, a bit of cheese, preferably provolone or swiss, and lots of yummy spinach and roll it all up, put in the oven, and bake until the outside is golden brown and crunchy, and the inside is all melty and gooey.. I'm getting hungry, I better stop. :tongue:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Spinach with walnuts and cranberries and a little strawberry vinegarette. mmmmmmmmmm.

I like dark lettuces, alllllll of them ~ the darker they are, the higher the nutrient content.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    And, you could get arms like Pop Eye! But, Sassiebritches already used that joke. Hmmm, for the first time, I realized what Pop Eye's name is about. Kind of off-putting.....:sick:

However, (quick recovery) I love a spinich salad with cut strawberries, a little cottage cheese (rinse the milky part away, so you are using just the curds) or a little feta cheese (VERY LITTLE) and a light dressing with a little honey, a little wine vinager and maybe some poppy seeds. If strawberries are out of season, pears are also nice.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Manda, sounds very good!

Actually, they all sound good. Lulu, do you use whole cranberries, or crazins?
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I've always loved spinach. Even as a little girl.

I eat it steamed or raw in salads are also use it as the "green" on a sandwich.

I do eat lettuce too but stick to the dark leaf varieties as everyone has said. I like romaine a lot.

"Wilted" spinach cooked with a little garlic!! YUM!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I love spinach!

I bought some today, actually -

I'd never thought of juicing it, what an interesting idea! Dave, do you find the taste fairly distinct, or does it blend well with fruits?

I like making salads with it - my favorite is spinach, strawberries, mushrooms, and toasted almonds with a tiny bit of poppyseed dressing. Nom nom nom.. I also make wraps with it - I take a tortilla, put 'sweet & spicy' tuna, a bit of cheese, preferably provolone or swiss, and lots of yummy spinach and roll it all up, put in the oven, and bake until the outside is golden brown and crunchy, and the inside is all melty and gooey.. I'm getting hungry, I better stop. :tongue:

I usually add via juicing a carrot or a 1/4 of a beet to the spinach juice.....the added carrot or beet gives it a little sweetness...watch those beets\, they are good for you but very high in sugar....I only usually will juice the spinach when I have alot that is going south (I buy the big bags of soinach at costco) or when I am feeling like I need a bit of a cleanse
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I love spinach!!!!
  • diannastadnyk
    diannastadnyk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recently heard on a cooking show( i think it was iron chef) that the nutrients in spinach are released only when it is cooked....so your not getting all the benefits out of it if you eat it in a salad.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    LOL :laugh: :laugh: I've been thinking it was time to get my glasses checked, and now I know it is. I read Dave's post and saw this: "I usually add via juicing a carrot or a 1/4 of a beef." :laugh: :laugh:

Or, maybe I should just eat more spinach!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My favourite restaurant has a spinach salad with warm goat cheese. The spinach is lightly dressed with a vinaigrette dressing and there are walnuts and artichoke hearts. Then they add a small patty of goat cheese that is warmed ( OK...so that isn't the healthiest) but It is AWESOME