People need to watch what they say!

Options
2»

Replies

• wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I agree with Banks and Lucky, then, when he glances at his watch and pretends he has a meeting he "forgot" you grab his sleeve and earnestly say, "I've noticed you're getting just a little pudgy. I can help you! You would be amazed at how much better you'll feel! Really, and what could be more important than your health!? I know you have a meeting, but it can wait, and your expanding tummy won't. Lets get busy on this right now. I'm there for you! :laugh:

I LOVE that!

My boss would NEVER comment on my body either way. As it should be! :bigsmile:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Wildkat, good point. Depending on how the comment was made, it may be really inappropriate.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm starting to get those "you look great... but don't lose anymore weight" comments. It's like a compliment wrapped in concern, like people are worried that I won't know when to stop on my own. Don't take it too personally... But I understand why it would be upsetting. :flowerforyou:
  • Michelle325
    Options
    Hey there...don't be discouraged. Many times people say things they only wish others would say to them. I have lost 14 lbs since Jan 06, 2009 and was told yesterday by a co-worker that I was "wasting away". Well I am not wasting away as I weigh 141lbs. But I do hit the gym 4 times/week and have toned and tightened up. Keep up the good work and enjoy your new found freedom. I have more energy, my clothes feel great and I can't wait to reach my goal!! Take Care!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]23409.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was a 'skinny' kid. Do you KNOW how many times someones mom brought me extra cookies???:noway:
    Or say, Does your mom FEED you?:embarassed:

At least you came here to burn off the steam instead of blowing up at your boss!!:drinker:
  • Binxy2004
    Binxy2004 Posts: 65
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't be terribly upset.....but thats me...........better then having your waitress ask when the baby is due.....................and your not pregnant....has happened a couple times to me, I just started saying 3 months :explode:

I can't wait for someone to call me skinny.......But I am sorry that your feelings were hurt. :flowerforyou:

Oh to true, went to the doctors they asked when i was due, i must have turned like 4 diffrent shades of red cus they all turned the same color too... my repsonce "sorry not pregnant, i do have cats tho" then they all started talkin about thier cats too... helped the moment but mannnnnnnnn thats a turning point
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem at work, they know I need to lose weight and they're pretty considerate about it. They offer suggestions on more stuff I can do and they don't ask as it should be.

Certain family members on the other hand :grumble:

My sister is being supportive :)
  • wisefool333
    Options
    OMG I CAN SO UNDERSTAND!!!! Last year I was losing weight and everyone kept asking me if I was eating, or if I was "okay", and that I was "disappearing". It was really insulting! I had to constantly explain what I was doing and how I was doing it. blah.

I have to say I have never experienced someone calling me "skinny". I remeber when I lost a bunch of weight for the first time....everyone asking me....what arre you doing to lose so much weight, that kinda made me feel good.

Not really sure how I would take it if someone said I was getting "skinny"
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm starting to get those "you look great... but don't lose anymore weight" comments. It's like a compliment wrapped in concern, like people are worried that I won't know when to stop on my own. Don't take it too personally... But I understand why it would be upsetting. :flowerforyou:

You know what it is for some people. They don't mind if you lose weight, but when you start looking better than them, they start with the comments. Especially if they have always been the smaller one and you were the "fat chick". Just a thought.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

You know what it is for some people. They don't mind if you lose weight, but when you start looking better than them, they start with the comments. Especially if they have always been the smaller one and you were the "fat chick". Just a thought.
    lol so true. But I seem to be getting it mostly from older women, like my mom ALL the time. And a bunch of the women that work with my fiance. It's funny, I don't take offense, but I can totally understand why someone would. I still weigh 148lbs, it's not like I'm wasting away :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I walked into my sister-in-law's house for Thanksgiving, down nearly 30 pounds from last I saw her-- instead of hearing, "Hey, have you lost weight?," or, "Wow, you look great." or something along those lines she looked at me and said, "So, what? Did you stop eating or something?"

I'm sure she meant it in the nicest possible way. :noway:

People are kooky.
  • sassyandsexy1
    Options
    What I don't really like is : You haven't changed at all! That stinks,,, I am doing P90X and love it,, and looking forward to the change especially when I really focus on my eating clean longer than 3 days! :laugh:

I agree with one of the comments,, when you start looking better, people may feel the need to knock down a person,,, people can't be truly happy for what others are doing,, it's our pride,,,

To all of you who have and are accomplishing your goals,,, Congrats and You are fit!!!

Maybe that is how to respond: Not skinny, more fit,,, and thanks,, how about you?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Today, my boss told me that I am looking awfully skinny and asked me if i'm okay. Honestly, I know he meant well but comments like that can hurt people! I worked really hard to lose all my weight and calling someone "skinny" isn't nice! Bahhh

After I'd lost about 30 pounds my boss did the same thing.... took me aside and asked me if everything was alright. I think he thought I may have been losing weight from being sick and was afraid I'd end up missing work eventually! :laugh:

That happens to a lot of us people who lose weight - we change right before other people's eyes and they find it hard to accept - At first you may get compliments, and then as you keep losing you get the negative comments and questions too. Sure, they may honestly be worried, or jealous, unintentionally rude, etc - just take it with a grain of salt and let it roll off your shoulders.... you know you're doing just fine and that is what really counts! :smile:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I hear ya sister
    because I don't have pot belly like most 40 year old fat out of shape lazy good for nothing stuffing there face with fat and beer.
    there's something worng with me?
    give the fat baster hell

HEY!!!!
    :mad:

I don't drink beer.
    :wink: :laugh:
    put that doghtnut down
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    Don't be hurt.. Maybe it came out wrong... Feel proud of your weight loss.. I can't wait until I'm called skinny b**** again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    Today, my boss told me that I am looking awfully skinny and asked me if i'm okay. Honestly, I know he meant well but comments like that can hurt people! I worked really hard to lose all my weight and calling someone "skinny" isn't nice! Bahhh

i know how you feel! at my rehearsal dinner before my wedding one of my bridesmaids said to me "wow, you're skinny, like gross skinny." i was like, umm... thanks for being mean to me the day before my wedding!