High Protein, 1200 cal per day.

Options
Hi there, I currently have my net calories set at 1,200 calories a day, with my carbs, protein and fat set at 40/30/30, but I've been trying to eat way above my recommended protein intake because I really don't want to lose muscle mass. That always means that my fat is below the recommended, because my carbs stay at or a little below my recommended.

Will this help me lose fat while still maintaining and building muscle or am I totally crazy? My food diary is open, just disregard yesterday as I slipped up big time.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I currently have my net calories set at 1,200 calories a day, with my carbs, protein and fat set at 40/30/30, but I've been trying to eat way above my recommended protein intake because I really don't want to lose muscle mass. That always means that my fat is below the recommended, because my carbs stay at or a little below my recommended.

Will this help me lose fat while still maintaining and building muscle or am I totally crazy? My food diary is open, just disregard yesterday as I slipped up big time.

1) 1,200 cals is much too low for osmeone your size

2) If you are going to run a 1,200 cal diet, it would have to mostly devoid of carbs in order to get in both adequate fats and protein (carbs are a non essential macro anyways)

3) To maintain the muscle you do have lift heavy at least 3 days a week and get a MINIMUM of 1g of protein per lb of lbm
  • carlypreiss
    Options

1) 1,200 cals is much too low for osmeone your size

I was told that if you're morbidly obese, you can safely go down to 1,200 to lose some weight quicker, and then bump it up once your BMI is lower?

2) If you are going to run a 1,200 cal diet, it would have to mostly devoid of carbs in order to get in both adequate fats and protein (carbs are a non essential macro anyways)

Adequate fats? Sorry, I feel stupid but why do I need more fats?

3) To maintain the muscle you do have lift heavy at least 3 days a week and get a MINIMUM of 1g of protein per lb of lbm

I've been doing some strength training everyday (weighted squats, dumbbell exercises, resistance training) plus calisthenics, but I'm planning on getting a gym membership by the beginning of February. I just need to get my wallet back on track after Christmas.