Melatonin as a Sleep Aid

Options
Hey guys! My husband bought me a bottle of melatonin for nights I have trouble sleeping (usually once or twice a week). I used to have some pretty bad anxiety, so my doctor prescribed me a very low dose of Xanax to help me out on those nights. I never used up the bottle, so the pills were getting ready to expire. Hence the melatonin. ANYWAY, I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried it and if you had any strange reactions to it. I've done a little research online to make sure I'm not a person that shouldn't be taking it, but I want testimonials before I try it. Any opinions?

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I take melatonin every night and it works wonders. I used to have such an awfully difficult time trying to fall asleep, but within 20 minutes I become tired enough that I can actually go to bed. It's lovely.
  • michellelay
    Options
    I have also heard great hings about melatonin. I hope it works for you.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! My husband bought me a bottle of melatonin for nights I have trouble sleeping (usually once or twice a week). I used to have some pretty bad anxiety, so my doctor prescribed me a very low dose of Xanax to help me out on those nights. I never used up the bottle, so the pills were getting ready to expire. Hence the melatonin. ANYWAY, I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried it and if you had any strange reactions to it. I've done a little research online to make sure I'm not a person that shouldn't be taking it, but I want testimonials before I try it. Any opinions?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It works for me, but it's not "scary" like a prescription sounds to me. If I needed to drive in an emergency or evacuate a fire I would be able to. It's a nice kick in the pajamas off to dreamland :)
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i use valerian root works great and is good for anxiety too
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    my brother is on melatonin as he has trouble sleeeping, knocks him out in about 30 mins. i take 2 now n again and it works wounders!
  • nckleen
    Options
    I have lots of trouble sleeping...but dont want to resort to sleeping pills in fear that I will get addicted. I have had numerous people suggest taking melatonin. Its all natural - in fact, your body produces it. Some people dont produce enough melatonin, therefore need to take pills to help.

The only thing I am unaware of is a healthy and safe amount to take. I believe they sell bottles in 3mg and 5mg. I also have trouble sleeping through the night, my aunt suggested I take extended release melatonin - she suggest that after I just bought a new bottle, so I have yet to try it.
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for two years and it works great! I have always taken a long time to fall asleep. With this, I take a pill and within 30 min. I feel relaxed and fall asleep easily.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is wonderful, but remember to take it 2 hours before you want to be sleeping. I have found that 6mg works well to help me fall asleep and keep me asleep all night. And no Tylenol PM hangover! I have taken every sleep aid there is and this is the only one that doesn't leave me just dying in the morning, struggling to get out of bed and barely able to function for hours.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin every night. I never had sleep issues but sometimes I would wake up tired or I would wake up in the middle of the night- with Melatonin I wake up and I feel great!
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have worked in restaurants for years which means lots of late nights for me as ive gotten older sleep was harder and harder so i asked a nurse friend of mine and she suggested melatonin so i got the 5mg and i love it
    I am a stay at home mom now and when i have lots of anxiety it works great i just cant take it too late cause it will keep we asleep late in the day.
    It is great!!!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Did nothing for me, but then again my problem is not getting to sleep it's staying asleep.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I take 1 mg tablets occasionally when I haven't been sleeping well or if I've been working late and need to reset my internal clock. 1 tablet makes me drowsy fairly quickly, and I do tend to fall asleep pretty quick, but I've noticed I have stranger and more vivid dreams when I take it....and I tend to feel a little groggy in the morning just like I do with an ordinary sleeping pill.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend takes it and it works pretty well. ALso, I am a nurse practitioner and have had tons of patients say it works for them........
  • DoxieMama70
    DoxieMama70 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have taken melatonin for about 4 years now. Not nightly, but at times, I have taken it every night. Works wonders and does not leave me groggy in the morning. I highly recommend!
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have crazy vivid dream when I take melatonin, and I have night sweats. Other then that, it seems to work fairly well.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin occasionally, when I think I'm too keyed up to get to sleep easily. I take either a 3mg or a 6mg pill. If I have to be up early for work, I take the 3mg. I get to sleep within an hour after taking it...it really helps me relax and just drift off. And I never have the morning groggy feeling.

I also read up on valerian root, and apparently it can make a drug test show up positive for benzodiazepines (xanax, ativan, etc), so if you work in a place that drug tests randomly, or have an interview coming up that may require a pee sample, you may wanna stay away from that one.

Melatonin has no such issues. So I stick with that!
  • rissameade
    Options
    I have taken it and it works wonders totally non addicting and safe--all natural--in fact my 9 year old son takes a low dose of Melatonin because he has anxiety issues and can't fall asleep on his own!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Did nothing for me, but then again my problem is not getting to sleep it's staying asleep.

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I had lots of people tell me that it works great, so I bought some when I was having trouble sleeping... and still couldn't sleep.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is that's keeping you awake. If you aren't producing enough melatonin then the supplement can do wonders. If you are awake due to hormone imbalance it may not help at all. I couldn't sleep for months due to estrogen dominance - even 10 mg of melatonin didn't so much as make me drowsy. But now that is passed 10 mg of melatonin really helps.