Stress, Cortisol, HGH, and Testosterone

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
I wanted to type out part of an article that I read recently because it has some really good info and I'm all about understanding why people become overweight. This article talks all about stress, and it's looong, so I won't post the whole thing, but I'll give a little intro so that you understand the context.

In the March/April edition of OnFitness Magazine they talk about stress and fat. They describe the process of stress as a trigger of cortisol release in the body. Cortisol by itself is a hormone that induces burning of both fat and protein. Combined with increased blood insulin levels, it is a trigger for abdominal fat storage (and other locations). If you want to learn more about stress and fat, read "How Stress makes us Fat" by Jada Teta (http://www.ncanp.com/JTeta.html)

Here is the section that regards HGH and Testosterone to counter cortisol and insulin

PUTTING THE BREAKS ON BELLY FAT, HGH AND TESTOSTERONE
If the effects on insulin and cortisol were not bad enough, they're made worse by the decreased secretion of testosterone and HGH. Sufficient sleep, INTENSE exercise and adequate protein intake are the only known stimuli to reliably increase testosterone and HGH in men and women. We have become a society that brags about not getting enough sleep, and focuses on low intensity and aerobic centered exercise. These behaviors don't help the situation.
HGH and Testosterone counter the effect of insulin and cortisol by "wrestling" cortisol from the negative influences of insulin. When adequate HGH and Testosterone are present with cortisol, the fat storing effects at the belly are blocked.
An August 2008 study in the American journal of Physiology, Endocrinology, and Metabolism showed that high cortisol to HGH ratio led to abdominal obesity in women. Two other studies, one in the October 1997 issue of Human Reproduction and the other in the 2000 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (Vol. 85 #2), show that not only do HGH and testosterone block the fat storing effects of stress-induced insulin and cortisol, but actually alter the effect to be one of muscle building and fat-burning instead. Based on these effects, stress can either make you fat or get you lean. It really all depends on your choice to MOVE OR SIT.

that's it. The article goes on to talk about how to go about using this information, and a lot of other good things too. I highly recommend this article and the whole magazine. It's very technical, and some of the stuff may go over people's heads (as it's published for Personal Trainers, not layman) but I think you will probably get enough out of it to make it worth while.

-Banks

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    Options
    I wanted to type out part of an article that I read recently because it has some really good info and I'm all about understanding why people become overweight. This article talks all about stress, and it's looong, so I won't post the whole thing, but I'll give a little intro so that you understand the context.

In the March/April edition of OnFitness Magazine they talk about stress and fat. They describe the process of stress as a trigger of cortisol release in the body. Cortisol by itself is a hormone that induces burning of both fat and protein. Combined with increased blood insulin levels, it is a trigger for abdominal fat storage (and other locations). If you want to learn more about stress and fat, read "How Stress makes us Fat" by Jada Teta (http://www.ncanp.com/JTeta.html)

Here is the section that regards HGH and Testosterone to counter cortisol and insulin

PUTTING THE BREAKS ON BELLY FAT, HGH AND TESTOSTERONE
    If the effects on insulin and cortisol were not bad enough, they're made worse by the decreased secretion of testosterone and HGH. Sufficient sleep, INTENSE exercise and adequate protein intake are the only known stimuli to reliably increase testosterone and HGH in men and women. We have become a society that brags about not getting enough sleep, and focuses on low intensity and aerobic centered exercise. These behaviors don't help the situation.
    HGH and Testosterone counter the effect of insulin and cortisol by "wrestling" cortisol from the negative influences of insulin. When adequate HGH and Testosterone are present with cortisol, the fat storing effects at the belly are blocked.
    An August 2008 study in the American journal of Physiology, Endocrinology, and Metabolism showed that high cortisol to HGH ratio led to abdominal obesity in women. Two other studies, one in the October 1997 issue of Human Reproduction and the other in the 2000 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (Vol. 85 #2), show that not only do HGH and testosterone block the fat storing effects of stress-induced insulin and cortisol, but actually alter the effect to be one of muscle building and fat-burning instead. Based on these effects, stress can either make you fat or get you lean. It really all depends on your choice to MOVE OR SIT.

that's it. The article goes on to talk about how to go about using this information, and a lot of other good things too. I highly recommend this article and the whole magazine. It's very technical, and some of the stuff may go over people's heads (as it's published for Personal Trainers, not layman) but I think you will probably get enough out of it to make it worth while.

-Banks
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Speaking of HGH and testosterone, I'm now off to my tabata training (gulp).

So I can raise my HGH and testosterone levels. :tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn more about stress and fat, read "How Stress makes us Fat" by Jada Teta (http://www.ncanp.com/JTeta.html)

-Banks

Linky no worky, or I couldn't find the article. . .or is it a book? I did find this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_269/ai_n15947925

So, essentially, and I'm trying to break the "stress cycle" myself,. . .
    if we stress ourselves out in the workouts =good! and other stressors =bad.

I really think that this is the "x factor" in my current plateau/backslide. In my whole life, I've never gained weight in my mid-section. . .and lately that seems to be the only place I gain it. Inspired by you, I have stepped up my workouts considerably. I've been watching a trainer at my gym (who may be your cousin, Banks :wink: ) put his clients through a grueling circuit. I have now developed training lust for him, but in the meantime. . .I'm sort of stealing his stuff. (it's nothing I wasn't watching football players drilling way back on the high school field.)

I find it really interesting that the best form of working out may be pure "old school" drills. After all the research and technology, etc. . .the best thing to do for yourself is run and jump around.

And then again, thinking that much stresses me out.:tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    lol, viv. You're awesome.

oh, that link is for the bio on Jada Teta, not for the article. Unfortunately this mag doesn't post it's articles online (sucks, but oh well).

Hopefully they'll implement online subscriptions eventually. cuz I do most of my reading online.

So what you're saying viv, is that you have a workout crush on a guy just like me :wink:

by the way, I have some of the workouts I do in my blog if you want some ideas. Plus me, hotmom, Songbyrdsweet and a couple others have a HIIT training post going, we try to post 2 hardcore workouts a week. And we try to put in reduced versions so that people who aren't quite at the level we are can still do them and get a great benefit.
    Here's this weeks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/43065-who-s-hardcore-week-2

and here's the 1st week:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/42048-who-s-hardcore-join-if-you-dare-i-ll-bet-ya-i-can-make

if you scroll through, the workouts are posted in there.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Banks for the info

Kathy
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've been lurking on that thread.

But, skeered.

Notice my new signature quote. I'm trying to eliminate the "skeered" from my life. Might as well start w/ my workouts. I do have an excellent trainer who's been doing plyometrics, kettlebell workouts and high intensity stuff with me. . .she barters with me, so she's essentially "free". I've asked her to step it up, and she's happily obliged. Now, the next step is for me to kill myself, instead of hiring a hitman/woman.:tongue:

Is it OK to "mix" intensities? I'm trying to commit to two crazy hard workouts a week, and then my yoga and a recovery/endurance cardio day. Also, I've taken the revolutionary step of putting a "day off" into my calendar.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Absolutely IMHO it's ok. I say do as many as you can. Mixing it all up will produce good across the board results.

Now this goes for general overall physical condition, if you want to focus on one thing, then this may not be the best approach. I.E. if you're trying to GROW your legs, lots of endurance type routines like hiit training lengthens the muscles and can retard appearance and bulk. but that doesn't mean the muscle isn't getting stronger. It just means they are getting denser and maybe lengthening a little. Ever wonder why college wrestlers don't look that big? but if you put one in a ring with a Professional wrestler, I'll bet you anything in the world they would win (even given a 50 lb weight difference) in a straight up pin match.
    Because they aren't going for size and bulk, they're going for explosive power and sustained power combined. Which means, long, dense, lean muscles (with no intramuscular fat). It makes them fast, quick, agile, strong, and sleek.
    I've had wrestler friends in college and done a few of their workouts. Believe it or not, most of the workouts they did, were almost identical to my college rugby workouts, except, no ball and no teamwork drills. Lots of speed running drills, lots of drills on all fours, lots of drills focusing on going from stopped to full speed as fast as possible, and lots of vector shifting drills (going from straight ahead to sideways fast and at high speed, good for the hip flexors and gluts).
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've been lurking on that thread.

But, skeered.

Notice my new signature quote. I'm trying to eliminate the "skeered" from my life. Might as well start w/ my workouts. I do have an excellent trainer who's been doing plyometrics, kettlebell workouts and high intensity stuff with me. . .she barters with me, so she's essentially "free". I've asked her to step it up, and she's happily obliged. Now, the next step is for me to kill myself, instead of hiring a hitman/woman.:tongue:

Is it OK to "mix" intensities? I'm trying to commit to two crazy hard workouts a week, and then my yoga and a recovery/endurance cardio day. Also, I've taken the revolutionary step of putting a "day off" into my calendar.

Nice! Your new signature goes right along with my rebel alliance tattoo! :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Eh...who needs enough sleep and protein. Just go get HGH shots. :wink: