How to be pretty?!

Options
So I've lost a bit of weight and have felt a bit better about myself for it, I just don't feel pretty or good about myself for it or confidmdt or anything like that, just keep feeling sad and sorry for myself.

Anyway I was wondering what and how people gained their confidence or something they might do to make themselves feel good and how this helped them carry on this journey. Thanks!

Replies

• lovelivelaugh91
    Options
    Confidence comes from within. It shouldn't be based on whether your skinny or not. To me confidence comes from personality, from just being the person you are. My friend is bigger but she's the most confident person I know and people love her for this. She loves herself the way she is and people love being around her.

Know that you are beautiful no matter what! :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    To help I took a look at your pic. The first thing I noticed is that your hair and eyes especially are absolutely gorgeous! Most women would pay so much to have hair like yours. Sometimes, though, when I don't feel very pretty, I pit on make up that enhances my best features. For you, maybe a nice, shimmery copper eyeshadow and light mascara. It'll make those lovely eyes pop :) or, you could go to a store that does free makeovers. Some make you buy an item, but at MAC, you don't have to, and just tell the artist to pick what will look best. Most love having free range on someones look, it allows them to be creative. Hope this helped.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    SMILE!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Get your hair done -- a sexy red or a deep, rich brown would look great on you with a cute bob and some bangs.

Find a lip gloss you love. There's something about glossy lips that makes you feel prettier! I never leave the house without it.

Buy some sexy jeans. A great pair of jeans can do wonders for your self confidence.

Smile, be happy, and enjoy life.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but pretend to be confident! I started off just pretending that I was super super confident, and soon enough I started to believe it!! Every once in a while I still get down on myself, but I'm usually one of the most confident people I know:laugh: It just takes some time, but as soon as you start telling yourself that you're confident, you will be and the people around you can sense that and will want to be around you. Then that of course feeds back into the confidence and you find yourself in a self loving chain!!:laugh:
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So I've lost a bit of weight and have felt a bit better about myself for it, I just don't feel pretty or good about myself for it or confidmdt or anything like that, just keep feeling sad and sorry for myself.

Anyway I was wondering what and how people gained their confidence or something they might do to make themselves feel good and how this helped them carry on this journey. Thanks!

i have re started my weight loss journey this year, last year i lost 28 lbs and there isnt really much difference to the way i look, i have no confidence, and i dont feel pretty at all, so this time round i have wiped myself clean, i naturally have curly hair which i hate so i always straighten it but i have decided to just go natural, and pull it back in a bun take better care of it and of my skin by doing weekly scrubs always making sure my eyebrows are done, although i dont like my natural hair i actually feel better because its starting to repair from all the hot iron damage and i feel fresher, its helping me to carry on with this journey and concentrate on it more not worrying about my hair curling from doing sweaty workouts and also im thinking at the end of it not only will i lose the weight but i will look healthier

um...i hope that made sense :s it might not help you but its worth sharing, i guess :smile:
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that when I person is positive and smiling a sincere smile, they are so beautiful. I know this sounds super cheesey but it's my honest opinion. Just be optimistic, positive, and genuine.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Go do something just for you! This might be a new hair cut or a mani pedi..or it might be a walk on the beach or a hike. But make sure you take time every week at least just for yourself.

Regarding outward appearance, buy yourself something that you would love to wear but never did when you were heavier. Maybe its a belt or a fitted top, or even something sparkly..then go out and have some fun with your girlfriends..nothing makes you feel better than a fun night out with the girls!
  • anshaw03
    anshaw03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but pretend to be confident! I started off just pretending that I was super super confident, and soon enough I started to believe it!! Every once in a while I still get down on myself, but I'm usually one of the most confident people I know:laugh: It just takes some time, but as soon as you start telling yourself that you're confident, you will be and the people around you can sense that and will want to be around you. Then that of course feeds back into the confidence and you find yourself in a self loving chain!!:laugh:

This. Yes! You just have to fake it till you make it. The more you tell yourself you are (insert whatever), you will be. If you say "I'm not pretty", you will think so. "If you say, yes, I am pretty and forget anyone who doesn't see it"-then guess what...eventually, you do think that way. It's taken me a long time and I don't feel like it every day, but most days I feel pretty good!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Do something just for you. Go to a department store's makeup counter and have a makeover there. Most of them will do a free one if you buy something they use on you. I always feel better after a hair cut, color and style too!
  • pretty_ribbons
    Options

This. Yes! You just have to fake it till you make it. The more you tell yourself you are (insert whatever), you will be. If you say "I'm not pretty", you will think so. "If you say, yes, I am pretty and forget anyone who doesn't see it"-then guess what...eventually, you do think that way. It's taken me a long time and I don't feel like it every day, but most days I feel pretty good!

this is fantastic, i am going to try this everyday

fake it till you make it....i love that !
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I think confidence and feeling pretty comes from the inside. I have alot of weight to lose but I consider myself gorgeous and screw the world if they think otherwise.

You just have to believe you are. Makeup and getting your hair done also helps... you gotta keep yourself looking the part.

and if you need a laugh to help you along the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYpwAtnywTk

:bigsmile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its superficial, but consider going to a very expensive salon for a makeover.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You already are pretty - no - beautiful.

Try daily self-affirmations.

Buy a new top or something that makes you feel beautiful. I have a few go-to tops like that.

If you wear makeup, take a little extra time to do this.

Try to feel it, and it will radiate from you.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    This takes time because most of it comes from within. But I know one thing that helps me is getting my hair donr or make up buying new clothes etc
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you ever watch What Not To Wear? They do an amazing job at not only giving makeovers, but showing women just how beautiful they really are. It's not the hair or the clothes or the makeup, it's a switch that gets flipped inside their heads that makes them realize, "I *AM* worth making the effort to feel and look my best."

Not everyone is going to be ambushed by style experts and shown what to do, but you can start by trying everything on, even if you hate it on the hanger, and then only buy clothes you LOVE and feel GREAT wearing. It's hard to feel attractive in clothes that aren't a good color or just don't fit right, but it's a lot easier to feel pretty when everything you pull out of your closet is flattering.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I know this may not work for everyone, but I've lost 42 pounds with MFP and though I felt pretty good about myself for a while, I didn't realize how powerful it would be when I started a new strength training program this week! I've only been at it for a week, but I wake up feeling confident and strong. I've even noticed that my posture is way better! Se maybe it's not strength training for you, but try something new this week that you've been hesitant to do. When you see how great it makes you feel, your confidence level will go through the roof!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is tricky but lots of people are giving you good advice. Just be an actress and eventually you'll believe it too. Standing up straight and tall and smiling can work. And yes.. new clothes, make up, hair etc helps.. also I find new underwear to be fun!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I always feel pretty when I put on my makeup. My hair is naturally curly, so there is nothing good there....but some mascara, eyeliner and lipstick make me feel like a whole new woman. And then I stand up straight, smile, and go forth and conquer! As long as I think I am pretty, I AM PRETTY!!!
  • pretty_ribbons
    Options