pilates classification...

Options
i mainly do cardio home dvd's, but would like to expand on it some, so i bought a pilates dvd yesterday, and boy oh boy did it kick my butt! :blushing: i looked in the excercise section so i could record it, but there is nothing on there... any suggestions as to what i should label it as?

Replies

• caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i mainly do cardio home dvd's, but would like to expand on it some, so i bought a pilates dvd yesterday, and boy oh boy did it kick my butt! :blushing: i looked in the excercise section so i could record it, but there is nothing on there... any suggestions as to what i should label it as?
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    Yeah I like to know too!
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am planning to do my pilates dvd today (for the first time in many, many months!) Try typing in "pilates calories burned" in your search engine. I found a site that calculates how many calories you burn, but it was based on your personal weight, what kind of pilates you do (I put mat, not sure if that is right), and also how many minutes you did it for. For me, it would be 107 calories. I don't know if that sounds right or not!
  • writer4him
    Options
    But again, evidently this may not be correct, because another site says, "Basic workouts burned 200 calories; intermediate, 292 calories; advanced, 360 calories."

Who knows? Hopefully someone who does will respond or maybe we will have to guess!
  • writer4him
    Options
    But again, evidently this may not be correct, because another site says, "Basic workouts burned 200 calories; intermediate, 292 calories; advanced, 360 calories."

Who knows? Hopefully someone who does will respond or maybe we will have to guess!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you are doing all the exercises on the floor then you are doing Mat exercises.

If you are on the cadillac, spine corrector, or reformer, then it's apparatus work.

I consider pilates to be more strength training than cardio....UNLESS you're using the jump board.

I'm a little shocked that it's not in the exercise database.:noway:
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I do pilates and have worn my hr monitor and for me its in the range above. Calories burned varies greatly on the participation of the person. If you put a little in you get a little out same goes for high intensity. I love to do it at least once a week, it helps to stretch out my muscles from all of the running and eliptical.
  • writer4him
    Options
    So, since this is something I have not done in a long time, do you think it would be safe to consider my participation "basic" and give myself 200 calories burned?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    How long did you do it for?

I def would say it's basic if you're just starting out again.

Good for you! I :heart: pilates and am working on certification on instructing it!!
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Go to this site and pilates is listed...enter in your weight...how long...and it will give you an idea of how many calories burned.

Then you can enter in your own exercise into your database. Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html
  • writer4him
    Options
    Thanks!