Too little calories (add me pls)

Options
Hi all, i only just joined a few days ago but i am so loving it, pls feel free to add me i could do with the support pls!!
Regarding my topic, i set my totally calorie intake to 1200 a day and i burn about 850 calories everyday by exercising. MFP tells me i am eating too little calories and something about my metabolism. My friends on here tells me its not good to eat little calories as it could mean my body would be storing fat and i would gain weight.
Now, the question is is this true or myth. All advise needed pls.
And dont forget to add me.
Cheers

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Based on your diary, you're not eating close to 1200 calories which isn't a good thing. As much as I hate to say this but your friends are absolutely right. Our body shifts to starvation mode if we eat too little calories. Want proof? Take a look at those who are into crash dieting. They may find themselves losing weight fast but once they go back to their normal eating, they will gain back double the weight even faster than how they lose it. Why? Because the bulk of the weight loss comes from water & muscle, not fat. Less muscle = slower metabolism.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Everyone on this site will say you are not eating enough calories. If you exercise a lot, it's almost impossible to eat back all of the calories. For example, one day I exercised twice once in the morning and again in the evening. I would have had to eat back almost 1,000 calories. If you are eating healthy, I don't see how this can be done. I would have had to be eating all day and all night. I didn't check out your food diary to see what you had eaten. Personally, I try to eat 1200 calories a day. Then because I have exercised, if I feel hungry or want something else to eat, then I will. But, I refuse to eat if I'm not hungry. Eating when I'm not hungry is what got me where I am now. Not going back!
  • tinsywinsy
    Options
    I really think it depends on your height alot as well. As a 5ft1 woman I think that between 1000-1200 is what I actually need to eat in order to lose weight, especially as I'm growing older and my metabolism seems to be slowing down a fair bit.
    If you are quite tall you prob shouldn't eat under 1200 cals, but you don't need to necessarily replace the calories you burn off. Its just that you need to keep some fuel going into you to keep everything ticking over and working properly.
    Listen to your body, if you are super hungry you probably should eat more, but don't force yourself!