too much water???

Options
so i normally drink around 120 oz of water a day, but yesterday i was thursty all day and had 220 oz. my husband was saying that he heard that too much water can kill someone. he also said, that he was told, that if u drink too much water you are supposed to add more sodium in ur diet. has anyone else heard of this?? a friend of mine also said that being so thirsty all the time is a sign of thyroid issues....has anyone heard of that before????

could this be why i have been so light headed lately??

Replies

• nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    so i normally drink around 120 oz of water a day, but yesterday i was thursty all day and had 220 oz. my husband was saying that he heard that too much water can kill someone. he also said, that he was told, that if u drink too much water you are supposed to add more sodium in ur diet. has anyone else heard of this?? a friend of mine also said that being so thirsty all the time is a sign of thyroid issues....has anyone heard of that before????

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you can over do it with water. My husband started drinking eight glasses of water a day, but the problem was he was using 44 oz. glasses. Yikes! So he was drinking 352 ounces of water!!! In about a week, all his joints puffed up, and he saw a doc who said you're leaking internally- stop drinking so much! After he knocked it off, and drank just four 44 oz'ers he saw all the puffiness go down and felt much better.
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink too much water and it can be fatal in extreme cases, it is called water poisining. It varies from person to person and also depends on your activites and food intake.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's called hyperhydration which causes hyponatremia (unbalanced electrolytes).

I'm sure Miss Song Byrd would have A TON to say on this since she's the physiologist.

tweeet tweeeeet!!:bigsmile:

I think there was a big news case on how a radio morning show had a contest about drinking water and the contestant actually died from it.:angry: Idioits. (morning show hosts....not contestant)

Just drink diet coke. :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options

First, think about your day and see if anything changed in the 24-48 hours preceding it. Did you have a particularly salty meal? Sometimes our body craves water to flush it out. Sometimes too a urinary tract infection can cause us to be super thirsty. If nothing has changed, and you find that this is a pattern for more than a couple of days, then definitely see your doctor. Also note the color of your urine, not trying to be too personal. With that much water, it should be crystal clear. But if it's not, it's an indication of an infection. One day of a lot of water spaced out through the day will not do any life long damage, but if you're having this desire over several days, then definitely see a doctor. Indications for too much thirst is sometimes medication, insulin irregularity, thyroid, and some time of infection. Just be careful on overdoing the salt. Maybe take a multivitamin with potassium and sodium in it to help regulate things, as those are the two vitamins in your body that water can tend to flush out quickly.

How are you feeling today?
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Options
    I am in no way a proffessional but I will try to answer U. Water intoxication results from too much water and yes it can be fatal. There is a story of a woman who was drinking water for a wii. I believe U can look it up on msnbc.com. Too much water will cause your blood pressure to go up. It will also overwork your kidneys with U having to use the bathroom constantly. U lose a lot of nutrients and electrolytes tha are supposed to be reabsorbed by the blood, your cells might swell up and that can be fatal. Too much water can also make your blood pressure go up because all that water will increase your blood volume hence increase your blood pressure. So many problems arise from drinking too much water. Sodium is not the only electrolyte needed for your body to maintain an electrolyte balance, so taking sodium with the water is not going to help U. To be safe just drink the recommended 8 -10 glasses, 8 oz glasses of water. Maybe if u are running and the temperatures are high, U might lose more hence need to take in more. :smile: what u take in should somehow equal what U lose. Hey I am no expert only trying to help.
  • nicolet04
    Options

First, think about your day and see if anything changed in the 24-48 hours preceding it. Did you have a particularly salty meal? Sometimes our body craves water to flush it out. Sometimes too a urinary tract infection can cause us to be super thirsty. If nothing has changed, and you find that this is a pattern for more than a couple of days, then definitely see your doctor. Also note the color of your urine, not trying to be too personal. With that much water, it should be crystal clear. But if it's not, it's an indication of an infection. One day of a lot of water spaced out through the day will not do any life long damage, but if you're having this desire over several days, then definitely see a doctor. Indications for too much thirst is sometimes medication, insulin irregularity, thyroid, and some time of infection. Just be careful on overdoing the salt. Maybe take a multivitamin with potassium and sodium in it to help regulate things, as those are the two vitamins in your body that water can tend to flush out quickly.

How are you feeling today?

first off, thanks for the reply! so nothing has really changed, i have eaten like normal and i have never had a uti. my urine is not crystal clear but close :) i do drink my normal 120 oz throughout the day, but in the evenings i notice i get really thirsty. i take a multivitamin, but i will check to see if there is sodium and potassium in it! i am feeling good today....except getting light headed everytime i get up:)
  • nicolet04
    Options
    thanks to everyone for all the replies!! if i continue to be so thirsty, i will probably call my doc! thanks again...have an awesome weekend!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    first off, thanks for the reply! so nothing has really changed, i have eaten like normal and i have never had a uti. my urine is not crystal clear but close :) i do drink my normal 120 oz throughout the day, but in the evenings i notice i get really thirsty. i take a multivitamin, but i will check to see if there is sodium and potassium in it! i am feeling good today....except getting light headed everytime i get up:)
    I was doing some research through some medical information. I'm a medical transcriptionist, and so I know a little bit about a lot and not enough to really be useful. But if the lightheadedness continues, I would strongly encourage a blood test, especially your glucose. Two symptoms of insulin instability (not necessarily diabetes) is lightheadedness and extreme thirst. Could simply be you need to eat more fruit in the evening to help regulate things.

Glad you're feeling better today. Take care of yourself!!!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water

What we thought we knew about water might not be all true.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    I was doing some research through some medical information. I'm a medical transcriptionist, and so I know a little bit about a lot and not enough to really be useful. But if the lightheadedness continues, I would strongly encourage a blood test, especially your glucose. Two symptoms of insulin instability (not necessarily diabetes) is lightheadedness and extreme thirst. Could simply be you need to eat more fruit in the evening to help regulate things.

Glad you're feeling better today. Take care of yourself!!!

Thankyou sooooo much!!! i think i will make an app for my blood to get tested! for the past couple months i have been getting light headed, if i get up too quickly, but the past couple days its more often. i think im going to try eating some more fruit in the evenings to see if it helps in the meantime! thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I'm sure Miss Song Byrd would have A TON to say on this since she's the physiologist.

I think there was a big news case on how a radio morning show had a contest about drinking water and the contestant actually died from it.:angry: Idioits. (morning show hosts....not contestant)

Yea, the 'Hold your Wee for a Wii'. She drank something like a gallon of water and didn't urinate for hours, and then ended up dying. A really tragic and fully preventable death, and she had 2 kids.

Hyponatremia usually doesn't produce any symptoms. You might feel more tired or have increased thirst. Drinking 220 oz. of water and having thirst the whole time does make me raise an eyebrow. I would call your doctor and tell them about how much water you're drinking and how much exercise you're doing and how much you're sweating.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    Take a look at this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water

What we thought we knew about water might not be all true.

thanks!!
  • nicolet04
    Options

Yea, the 'Hold your Wee for a Wii'. She drank something like a gallon of water and didn't urinate for hours, and then ended up dying. A really tragic and fully preventable death, and she had 2 kids.

Hyponatremia usually doesn't produce any symptoms. You might feel more tired or have increased thirst. Drinking 220 oz. of water and having thirst the whole time does make me raise an eyebrow. I would call your doctor and tell them about how much water you're drinking and how much exercise you're doing and how much you're sweating.

i do seem to be tired all the time and i always feel like i have a lingering cold. im so glad i posted something, cause i never thought drinking so much water could mean something more. thanks!

i will keep u all posted after i talk to the doc!!