Has anyone used chromium picolinate to boost metabolism?

Options
Is using chromium useful in boosting your metabolism or is it all a lot of hog wash? I understand it evens out your insulin levels, but if you're eating regular non-sugar loaded meals would it make a difference?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Is using chromium useful in boosting your metabolism or is it all a lot of hog wash? I understand it evens out your insulin levels, but if you're eating regular non-sugar loaded meals would it make a difference?
    Hog wash. Practically every peer reviewed study I've seen on it finds it less than effective for actual metabolism boost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great to know, as I was told that it does work. I took it for a while, but not on a regular basis.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Besides regular cardio and strengthening exercise and having a good water intake is there anything else you recommend?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    It won't boost your metabolism, but it will keep your insulin levels in check so that you don't peak out. You should take it with meals so that it works with the food you eat to keep you balanced in your blood sugar and insulin levels.
  • IM TRYING THEM NOW...PLUS CINNAMON! I HEAR IT DOES WORK RELLY WELL...IVE HAD SEVERAL PHARAMCY TO SAY SO..PLUS I SAW IT ON DR OZ!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    IM TRYING THEM NOW...PLUS CINNAMON! I HEAR IT DOES WORK RELLY WELL...IVE HAD SEVERAL PHARAMCY TO SAY SO..PLUS I SAW IT ON DR OZ!

main-qimg-853291f28e6279971a6210a77521c6b7
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not sure if boots metabolism, but I heard it's suppose to help with curve appetite and help control food cravings.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hog wash. Practically every peer reviewed study I've seen on it finds it less than effective for actual metabolism boost.
    What?
    Did you miss the article in the Joe Weider magazine "Muscle and Fitless" ?

They don't lie!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I tried chromium picolinate years ago and found no real change for myself. The best booster I found is to eat evenly space calories during the day. 5-6 small meal/snacks. In my case I try to eat 250-275 calories every 3-4 hours. If you do this it also makes bingeing difficult because your stomach will shrink and it become physically painful to eat too much.
  • Acg67
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

^ correct

Campbell WW, Joseph LJ, Anderson RA, Davey SL, Hinton J, Evans WJ. Effects of resistive training and chromium picolinate on body composition and skeletal muscle size in older women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2002;12(2):125–35. [PubMed]

Campbell WW, Joseph LJ, Davey SL, Cyr-Campbell D, Anderson RA, Evans WJ. Effects of resistance training and chromium picolinate on body composition and skeletal muscle in older men. J Appl Physiol. 1999;86(1):29–39. [PubMed]

Walker LS, Bemben MG, Bemben DA, Knehans AW. Chromium picolinate effects on body composition and muscular performance in wrestlers. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998;30(12):1730–7. doi: 10.1097/00005768-199812000-00012. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]

Livolsi JM, Adams GM, Laguna PL. The effect of chromium picolinate on muscular strength and body composition in women athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2001;15(2):161–6. doi: 10.1519/1533-4287(2001)015<0161:TEOCPO>2.0.CO;2. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]

Volpe SL, Huang HW, Larpadisorn K, Lesser II. Effect of chromium supplementation and exercise on body composition, resting metabolic rate and selected biochemical parameters in moderately obese women following an exercise program. J Am Coll Nutr. 2001;20(4):293–306. [PubMed]

Hallmark MA, Reynolds TH, DeSouza CA, Dotson CO, Anderson RA, Rogers MA. Effects of chromium and resistive training on muscle strength and body composition. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996;28(1):139–44. doi: 10.1097/00005768-199601000-00025. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]

Lukaski HC, Bolonchuk WW, Siders WA, Milne DB. Chromium supplementation and resistance training: effects on body composition, strength, and trace element status of men. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63(6):954–65. [PubMed]

Clancy SP, Clarkson PM, DeCheke ME, Nosaka K, Freedson PS, Cunningham JJ, Valentine B. Effects of chromium picolinate supplementation on body composition, strength, and urinary chromium loss in football players. Int J Sport Nutr. 1994;4(2):142–53. [PubMed]
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It won't boost your metabolism, but it will keep your insulin levels in check so that you don't peak out. You should take it with meals so that it works with the food you eat to keep you balanced in your blood sugar and insulin levels.

Also cinnamon I am told reduces blood pressure. Cinnamon Tea was recommended to me by a Doctor. I did not know it was to be taken with a meal Thanks for letting us know.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I was told ginger and cinnamin for morning sickness and I think it helped. I heard it was good for digestion, as in stopping tummy aches.

Also, from http://altmedicine.about.com/od/cinnamon/a/cinnamon.htm

"In traditional Chinese medicine, Cassia cinnamon is used for colds, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, and painful menstrual periods. It's also believed to improve energy, vitality, and circulation and be particularly useful for people who tend to feel hot in their upper body but have cold feet.

In Ayurveda, cinnamon is used as a remedy for diabetes, indigestion, and colds, and it is often recommended for people with the kapha Ayurvedic type.

It's a common ingredient in chai tea, and it is believed to improve the digestion of fruit, milk and other dairy products.

What is the Scientific Evidence for Cinnamon's Health Benefits?

Recent studies have found that cinnamon may have a beneficial effect on blood sugar.

One of the first human studies was published in 2003 in a medical journal called Diabetes Care. Sixty people with type 2 diabetes took 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon in pill form daily, an amount roughly equivalent to one quarter of a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

After 40 days, all 3 amounts of cinnamon reduced fasting blood glucose by 18 to 29%, triglycerides by 23 to 30%, LDL cholesterol by 7 to 27%, and total cholesterol by 12 to 26%.

For more information about cinnamon and diabetes, read Is Cinnamon a Proven Diabetes Remedy?

Preliminary lab and animal studies have found that cinnamon may have antibacterial and antifungal properties. It's active against Candida albicans, the fungus that causes yeast infections and thrush, and Helicobacter pylori, the bacteria responsible for stomach ulcers."

looks like there is some merit-able connection to cinnamon and digestion/indigestion.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic i've been taking chromium picolinate and cinnamon for a long time. I haven't noticed any metabolism boost at all, but my blood sugar has been pretty steady. I honestly doubt any over the counter supplement, aside from caffeine, is going to have any noticeable effect on your metabolism.

There was a news story a while back about a blend of peppers that was supposed to boost your metabolism. I tried following up on it, but it seems the boost was attributed to the caffeine added to the pepper mixture.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic i've been taking chromium picolinate and cinnamon for a long time. I haven't noticed any metabolism boost at all, but my blood sugar has been pretty steady. I honestly doubt any over the counter supplement, aside from caffeine, is going to have any noticeable effect on your metabolism.
    Exactly - if you're not diabetic, this supplement is pretty much over-hyped garbage.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I can share my personal experience on Chromium picolinate. I was successful in taking it. Although, I am not taking it now with this weight loss journey.

Years ago, 1997-1998?
    My younger sister recommend to me after the birth of her child. She had gained 110 lbs.
    She was successful in taking Chromium picolinate and L-carnitine along with the "No Fat" fad diet, at that time.
    After my first miscarriage at 5mo., when trying to loose post pregnancy weight, I was not at all fat or overweight. I just wanted to flattening my tummy. So I took my sisters advice and I found "Chroma Slim" to take for myself.
    I used "Chroma Slim", a combination pill that includes chromium picolinate and lipotropics such as L-carnitine.
    I lost 40lbs.
    I was eating healthy and I did not have a regular exercise program but I was very active "Showing my dogs, in AKC events" and training them.

It is not a "Magic pill" or and easy Quick fix.

Here is an interesting and educating read for those who are Anti-Chromium picolinate.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/chromiumpicolinate.htm

Side bar: There seems to be alot of "Egotestical" Mr. or Mrs "I know it all" in the MFP message boards.
    Some folks need some pill called "Being a humble person".
    I do not make a "personal statement" or "opinion" or claim to be "All wise one"....but I do take it upon my self to "educate" myself if I am not familiar with a subject/issue before making an intelligent and well educated statement. I do not think it is wise for those who do not have a "personal experience" or who have not the "education" themselves to make any comments.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Here is an interesting and educating read for those who are Anti-Chromium picolinate.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/chromiumpicolinate.htm

Side bar: There seems to be alot of "Egotestical" Mr. or Mrs "I know it all" in the MFP message boards.
    I do not make a "personal statement" or "opinion" or claim to be "All wise one"....but I do take it upon my self to "educate" myself if I am not familiar with a subject/issue before making an intelligent and well educated statement. I do not think it is wise for those who do not have a "personal experience" or who have not the "education" themselves to make any comments.

What is your link supposed to show? From your link
    Despite rampant claims that chromium picolinate is a weight loss miracle that will melt fat, improve metabolism, and increase muscle mass, scientific evidence overwhelmingly indicates that the supplement does nothing of the kind. When combined with exercise, chromium supplementation does nothing to enhance weight loss as compared to exercise alone, in study after study.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

What is your link supposed to show? From your link
    Despite rampant claims that chromium picolinate is a weight loss miracle that will melt fat, improve metabolism, and increase muscle mass, scientific evidence overwhelmingly indicates that the supplement does nothing of the kind. When combined with exercise, chromium supplementation does nothing to enhance weight loss as compared to exercise alone, in study after study.
    Yeah, that's a pretty epic fail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member