New to site n Ready to make a change.

Options
Good Evening MFP , I am need some help I would greatly like to lose some weight and put on some lean muscle mass. Currently I am 5’11 and weigh in at 231lbs, my goal is to weigh about 205 lbs but I don’t know what the best approach to it is. I currently work a desk job from 12noon-8pm. So right now I go to the gym for about an 1hr a day 3 days a week. My eating habits are not great so that’s where I would need to do most improving. Also I was wondering do anyone think it would be possible to reach my goal by may 4th I have a wedding I’m attending n would like to be in new me form by then. Also I’m looking to find some like minded and liked goaled people to be friend’s wit for advice and encouragement.

Replies

• CDreyer2012
    Options
    Add me if you want, i could do with some friends to help encourage & support me and of course i'll return the favour.

take it easy
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hi Trey4562,

I"ve been trying to lose weight by using this site for a week now, so I'm still very new at this as well. My advice to you (and this is currently working for me) is to document the foods you ARE eating. I find a lot of the times we don't realize what we're putting into our bodies until we document it. By doing this, you can see how many calories you are intaking and you can begin to make your gradual decline from there. This site's food tracker tool is amazing! So, if I were you, I'd start today by inputting all the foods you've eaten today in the tracker. Do this for about a week so you can determine your average daily calorie intake. Then, subtract 500 calories. Measure your portions...it makes tracking easier! And eat throughout the day - have breakfast, small snack, lunch, small snack, dinner. Eating through the day will actually increase your metabolism, which in turn will burn more caliories naturally. Just remember, it's all about balance!
    As for exercise - cardio, cardio and more cardio! For a low-impact, high-octane workout, if you can, do a spin class at your gym, use the elliptical cross trainer, and any kind of bike (stationary, recumbent etc.). Make sure to hydrate BEFORE, during, and AFTER your cardio workouts. Keeping hydrated during the day before your workouts will enable you to push harder through that burn and your muscles will be less likley to seize up during your workout.

From your post, I think you're VERY determined to reach your goal, and if you stick to it and stay disciplined, you CAN do it! (and that goes for you too, CDreyer2012!). By the way, I know your goal is to lose 30lbs, but keep in mind as you're working out, you're also gaining muscle mass (which replaces the fat) and since muscle weighs more than fat, I'd recommend that you take measurements also (chest, waist, hips) every week (you can track that on here also). You'll find that even though you're getting leaner, the weight you lose is being replaced by heavier muscle. (which is a good thing!)

I hope this has been helpful - everyone on this site has one common goal, so you're never without friends here!

Cheers!