Gluten free, dairy free Corn Chowder

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
This is my version of a corn chowder recipe I found in the book "The gluten free vegan" by Susan O` Brien

1 tbsp oil

1 cup onion

6 cups finely cubed butternut squash

1 zuchini (approx 1.75 cups)

5 cloves garlic

2 cans of blue menu no salt added corn (12 oz each)

2 bay leaves

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1 cup water

1 can of light coconut milk

I basically sauteed the onion and garlic in oil then threw into crockpot added all the rest of ingredients and cooked on high for 4 hours till it was all done/tender.

I like to allow people to season their own food especially since I am cooking for adults and children and we don`t always like the same amount of salt, pepper, heat, sweet etc.

NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR THE BATCH I MADE WAS:

Serves 9 (1 cup or 8oz each)

142 calories

3 protein

3 fiber

29 sodium

5 fat

23 carbs

The recipe called for 2 potatoes or the equivant in yams/sweet potatoes instead in addition to the squash, I didn`t have potatoes so I added a ton more squash plus a zuchini, and it called for leeks and hubby didn`t want leeks so I just upped the amount of onion I used instead. I also added 2x the amount of garlic!!

I thought some beans would have been a nice to make it heartier, not to mention they would give it a protein and fiber boost so maybe next time I`ll try adding some.

This recipe lends itself to being creative, add some celery, red/orange bell pepper, eggplant or mushrooms.

Season it the way you like, I think a little hot sauce could kick this up a notch for sure.

The original recipe was actually done in a large stock pot but I love making stuff in a slowcooker especially on weekends when I don't want to hang around the kitchen for extended periods of time.

ENJOY!!!

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Bump......for a delicious recipe!! Just had some leftovers for lunch and it was soooo good.