I CAN Do This! (Really?)

Options
Okay so after many many failed attempts I'm getting back on that horse (no pun intended as my fat *kitten* would crush a horse lol). I've been a yo-yo dieter for years but haven't even tried to lose weight in about 2 years. Ive always been big but my weight fluxuates depending on my lifestyle. Im young, Ive done some dumb stuff. I turned to drugs and alchohol for years and my weight wud plummet and then I'd regain it plus some once I got my stuff straightened back out. So anyways, Im 25 years old, I wud like to think I have a lot of life left to live but my body doesnt think so. I'm also a smoker and have a pretty sedentary lifestyle as I work in a call center. I have horrible circulation; part of my leg falls asleep if i have it sitting wrong and it is always in that damn half tingly place between normal and asleep, I only grow hair on the front of my legs because of the circulation and my legs and ankles have been swelling horribly for the last 2 years so much u can see a 2 inch dent if i rest my other leg atop the other one. Sometimes I feel like I cant breathe right and its hard to take a deep breathe and I have NOOOOO energy anymore. I'm definatly at a risk for medical complications and Im sure I have them if I had the money to go to the doctor, but I dont, so I help all is well in my gene pool at the moment. My grandpa had three triple bypass surgeries and also had diabetes and died of heart failure, my dad had a heart attack at 50 and many circumstances of high blood pressure and etc. I've never been able to do this on my own, so here's to one more shot in the dark. I dont even own a scale! Oh lordy, this is going to be a long journey!!!!

Replies

• chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Okay so after many many failed attempts I'm getting back on that horse (no pun intended as my fat *kitten* would crush a horse lol). I've been a yo-yo dieter for years but haven't even tried to lose weight in about 2 years. Ive always been big but my weight fluxuates depending on my lifestyle. Im young, Ive done some dumb stuff. I turned to drugs and alchohol for years and my weight wud plummet and then I'd regain it plus some once I got my stuff straightened back out. So anyways, Im 25 years old, I wud like to think I have a lot of life left to live but my body doesnt think so. I'm also a smoker and have a pretty sedentary lifestyle as I work in a call center. I have horrible circulation; part of my leg falls asleep if i have it sitting wrong and it is always in that damn half tingly place between normal and asleep, I only grow hair on the front of my legs because of the circulation and my legs and ankles have been swelling horribly for the last 2 years so much u can see a 2 inch dent if i rest my other leg atop the other one. Sometimes I feel like I cant breathe right and its hard to take a deep breathe and I have NOOOOO energy anymore. I'm definatly at a risk for medical complications and Im sure I have them if I had the money to go to the doctor, but I dont, so I help all is well in my gene pool at the moment. My grandpa had three triple bypass surgeries and also had diabetes and died of heart failure, my dad had a heart attack at 50 and many circumstances of high blood pressure and etc. I've never been able to do this on my own, so here's to one more shot in the dark. I dont even own a scale! Oh lordy, this is going to be a long journey!!!!
  • SoccerMom24
    Options
    Welcome!! Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of issues just remember to take baby steps and stay positive. You can do this!!!
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    thanks, im really hopeing this site and everyone reading is the motivation and help i need to pull through this one!
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You can do it...don't over do it, just do small changes daily. I work in a call center as well. I can look at people who started at my workand watch them gain 20 pounds in a year, so I decided that I am not go to let that happen anymore to me, and I tried to get others to go with me as well. On my breaks and lunches I walk around the call center building -do laps until my break times and lunches are over. This could be something you can do. When people bring in all those snack-say no. Good Luck!
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif

You've come to the right place where everyone here is so friendly and supportive. Remember when changes your lifestyle (eating healthy, exercise, and drinking lots of water) it will take a while to adjust but you can do it because you are so worth it! :flowerforyou: If you have any questions or concerns just post on the boards and there will be people that can assist. I wish you the best of luck on a new healthier you... YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do this....your story sounds just like mine...I am 10 years older. Let me tell ya, I wish I woulda done it at your age.......You are gonna have to push through this.....the bottom line or you could die real young.........find the will power that you need to get it done. Even 20 pounds will make you fell 100 times better.

Hang in there....you can do this!

:flowerforyou:
  • kaelin_boi
    Options
    Welcome! I'm the same age as you - sometimes it feels daunting being so young yet having so much weight to lose, but I tell myself that the older I get the harder it will get. I second the person who said to take baby steps - I celebrate each day I stick to my food plan and each week I meet my exercise goals. I recommend setting mini goals, and finding ways to reward yourself (that aren't centered around food) when you meet those goals.

Good luck and remember that there are soooo many people on here who are in the same boat as you, so to speak.
  • tami1024
    tami1024 Posts: 26
    Options
    You have alot of stuff going on, but your head is in the right place. You need to take baby steps and not get discouraged and quit. It's going to be a challange for you but you can do it. We are all here to help. You support is here whenever you need it. And "YES YOU CAN DO THIS"
  • IDGIE
    IDGIE Posts: 10
    Options
    You can do this. At 25 you have MANY fun years left. (if the good lord's willing). At 49, I have spent many years having fun at the level of a 20 year old. That's one of the reasons I want to lose the wait I have put on recently. I know I still have lots of fun years left and don't want to not have fun, because I am too big to do so. You seem to have a good sense of humor and that is one of the best traits to have. I believe if you can laugh at yourself, you can get through just about anything. Heck, look at me in my profile pic. I am trying to hide my fat butt behind my dog....... my dog.!....a Daschund !! Next time I am going to have to find a St. Bernard LOL.
  • nerveracker
    Options
    Yes, you can! Anybody can. I'll let you in on a little secret. Yes anybody can do this. It takes some effort, you have to make a commitment to your self to do it. I believe that the only thing that gets in anyone's is them selves. we are our own worst enemies. We want what is best, but we trade what we really want the most for what we want most right now, and THAT is our biggest failure. (I'm totally speaking from experience here!) I'll say exactly what I've said in other posts here, and I know for fact that it works, because it works for so many other people. Thousands can't be wrong right? Here's what will help get you to your ultimate goal. You ready?
    Decide. You've decided that you need to make a change in your lifestyle. GREAT that's the first and the most important step.
    Commit. Now it's time to make some commitments. What are you going to do? how are you going to go about it? Start with a good diet/nutrition Eat healthy, eat clean, eat right! do some research on carbs and what carbs to eat when, find out that you should have protein with EVERY meal. Learn how your body makes and uses insulin, and how insulin works. You learn those and you'll have the diet portion beat. It's just up to you to commit every day to following your own diet and eating clean. Also find a fitness program that you WANT to do. Whether it's walking for 30 minutes a day, Buns of Steel, ChaLEAN, P90X (what I'm doing), Slim in 6, Tae-Bo, whatever you WANT to do, and commit to it. 4-6 days each week (the more often you do it the faster your results will be) But what ever you choose, if it's not a scheduled program (P90X or ChaLEAN, Slim in 6 etc...) mix it up. The key here is commit yourself to it for XX days (Set a goal, 90 is good, but 30 is ok, as long as you keep doing something) Commitment includes sacrifice, motivation, discipline, etc. It's up to you to make the sacrifices and have discipline, we'll help with the motivation!
    Succeed. Here's the easiest part, because! You've committed, you've poured your blood, sweat and tears out to make these changes, you've given your best, you've given it 100, 110, 120% working out, you've been eating right, and guess what? here are the results. you're closer to your ultimate goal.

I know you can do it, cause I'm doing it myself. I was @60 lbs overweight, almost 33% body fat when I started and I could barely fit in 38" waist jeans. 7 days into my program I had lost 2" from my wasit, over 2% bodyfat, and a total of 7 lbs (the scale is NOT my benchmark. My body fat is my main benchmark) Once you get to a lean body fat% where your body fat % is in a normal range then your weight should be as well! If you're going to judge by scales only, stay off of them every day, I would even hazard to say only look at them once every couple of weeks. Remember lean muscle weighs more than fat does.

So, I'll leave you with the following, I hope you get as much out of it as I do.

Commitment:
    Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality. It is the words that speak boldly of your intentions. And the actions which speak louder than the words.

It is making the time when there is none. Coming through time after time, year after year.

Commitment is the stuff character is made of: the power to change the face of things.
    It is the daily triumph of integrity over skepticism.

-Author Unknown

Attitude, sacrifice, determination, motivation, and just plain old elbow grease makes it all happen! - Me

"The" Nerveracker - Dave

The Reason Most People Fail Instead of Succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT!!!

Motivation- It is not strength but desire that moves us, Dream, Dare, Do!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: